cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
I went out today to start getting the TT ready for a trip. It was a little warm so I turned the A/C on. It didn't work. It sounded like it wanted to work but there was no air flow from the vents. I switched to fan only and got the same result. Any thoughts on where to start looking would be appreciated.
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2
13 REPLIES 13

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update. After trying everybody's suggestions with no result I took my trailer to a local RV repair facility. I'm glad I did. The end result is the A/C works better than ever and seems to be quieter. The mechanic and owner said the A/C wasn't installed quite right. If you are in the Kingman, AZ area and need repairs I can recommend Russell's RV Repair.
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
jwandvassie wrote:
JCR-1 wrote:
Try a different power source not using long extension cords.

X2

x3. I think an ac voltage meter is worth the money:

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said - the fan is "stuck." One of my units was "stuck" when I first got it almost 5 years ago (it appears to be the original 1984 Dometic rooftop unit). By removing the air filter, I could see the squirrel cage. I spun it by hand (power off) and then turned it on. It's only done it again once. I do run it every couple of months in the off season while I'm exercising the generator (the A/C unit in question only runs with the generator).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As others have said, fan is stuck. Don't keep applying power to it or you'll have other problems.
Make sure the fan turns freely BEFORE trying another plug.

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everybody. Will see what happens today.
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:

X2

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Clean your coils while you do that, should be done once a year at a minimum. And the filter!

Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has done this from day one. I would remove the inside cover and spin it. After 4 years the fan motor was noisy so I replaced it last year. The new fan motor has not stuck yet
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Fan getting stuck happens to me every season. Now I just know, when I am taking the cover off at the beginning of the season I clear out the dauber nest from the a.c. shroud, I spin the fan, and put a couple drops of oil on the shaft.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fan is 'stuck'......remove roof shroud and manually rotate fan motor shaft

OR remove ceiling grille panel and spin fan squirrel cage

Then turn FAN on and verify it works.....then turn on A/C (compressor via t-stat)

Not unusual for fan to 'seize up' during off season

X2
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Fan is 'stuck'......remove roof shroud and manually rotate fan motor shaft

OR remove ceiling grille panel and spin fan squirrel cage

Then turn FAN on and verify it works.....then turn on A/C (compressor via t-stat)

Not unusual for fan to 'seize up' during off season
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31