cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding propane!!!

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full time and are heading north thru Santa Fe. Every gas station we go to only has the propane exchange tanks. Can’t find the big tank so they can fill us. Gas buddy shows if a station has propane but doesn’t specify what kind of propane they have.

How do you guys find propane when you are in a strange place?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
32 REPLIES 32

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Search Propane suppliers, there is one in Bernalillo, NM that gives military discounts.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
We are full time and are heading north thru Santa Fe. Every gas station we go to only has the propane exchange tanks. Can’t find the big tank so they can fill us. Gas buddy shows if a station has propane but doesn’t specify what kind of propane they have.

How do you guys find propane when you are in a strange place?

You should be able to pull into any RV park, for taking on propane and whether you're staying the night or not.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
My go to places are FlyingJ and campgrounds. I can be guaranteed easy access with my motorhome pulling my toad. I may stay the night at the campground but frequently I just stop to buy propane. I have found that the majority of places offering propane are not conducive to motorhomes with a toad. Even RV dealers do not make it easy. I do not carry any extra propane bottles. The one attached to the motorhome is the only one. Safe travels.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time when we were on the road and wanted to find something we did an internet search. Just found 16 propane locations in Santa Fe, NM AREA

https://www.yellowpages.com/santa-fe-nm/propane-refill.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

helena_handbask
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
There is a flying J just off 40 west in albuquerque, about 5-6 miles from 25 north. Very easy access for RV’s, available 24/7.
Helena Handbasket
2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Pilot/Flying J and suppliers in any town in NM.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Another option in my neck of the woods are Menards Stores. They all have Propane Fill Stations.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Most all Love's truck stops have propane.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Most often refill at parks with propane, Truck stops and occasionally a propane distributor. Never had an issue but you do have to look a bit sometimes. All Stays pp is a good resource.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When traveling Flying J is the most convenient and they list which stores have propane along with prices. U haul also list locations and prices call ahead to see if the have room for a 40 ft MH. Tractor Supply seems to be the cheapest but not all stores carry propane or can fill a 40 ft MH, you have to call ahead and ask. CG's are usually more expensive than the others mentioned but very convenient if you stay there.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...
Filling the onboard tank on a motorhome...
Here in Billings, the first source that comes to mind is Amerigas, the propane distributor.
Now, let's see, places that have fairly easy access for a 32 foot motorhome.
Closest to me is Big R Ranch Supply. I fill the coach there often.
Tractor Supply has propane.
Ace Hardware has propane.
U-Haul has it.
Flying J has it. I'm not sure, but I suspect that the Pilot on the other side of the freeway has it.
Bretz RV has it.
I think Pierce RV has it.
Those are the ones locally that I can think of right away. I'm sure there are others.
The point is, we have never found filling propane to be a problem, either with the 20 pound cylinders or the frame mounted tank on the coach. The facilities are all over the place.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've never had a problem finding a bulk propane source for our coach, and most often refill at campgrounds. When we're at our Adirondack cottage, we can either take the coach a few miles up the road to a gas station that does bulk refills, or wait until our fuel buying co-op supplier comes to refill the cottage bulk tank and the coach at the same time. We also carry a 30 lb DOT cylinder in the coach that we use with our Extend-A-Stay hookup for longer stays on sites where we don't want to break camp to go get the 100 lb ASME onboard tank refilled. I've never seen a cylinder exchange that has 30 pounders though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Makes me wonder when the RV's will start to be outfitted with 3-4 of the BBQ size tanks. Maybe a stack 2 wide 2 high.

I’m reasonably fit but still wouldn’t want to try to wrestle full propane tanks, even just 20 pounders, up into some kind of rack under my coach. Lots of the seniors I see RV’ing likely couldn’t even manage a 20 pounder on the tongue rack of a TT.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Many Ace Hardware stores and Uhauls have it. Don't bother with gas stations. Very iffy and hard to sort out from the propane exchanges as you've noticed.