cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using "tow/haul" function on Ford Triton

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Winnie Vista has the tow/haul option on the tranny with the Triton V-10. I understand what it does, question is, when do you put it on..while moving, while stopped, and if when moving, should you shift into neutral to put it on? How does it affect MPG? Thanks, Lee
12 REPLIES 12

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can shift anytime. With some practice you will figure out how to hesitate with the trottle and when to push it.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I used it a great deal. The obvious in mountains but inalso used it in any area with heavy traffic. Stopping assist saved me several times.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
You can push it anytime.

It resets every key cycle so you have to push it again.

On flat ground pulling light loads it will hurt your MPG since the trans stays in a lower gear.

Play with it some, you can't hurt anything, well,,,, unless you push it when you're doing 150 MPH. You might want to stay in high gear then ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just to make sure it's clear, Tow/Haul does not lock out the top gear; it's not an overdrive disable. It does alter the shift points between the various gears, among other changes to the control logic for the transmission, so under some circumstances you would end up in a lower gear with it engaged.

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
All the time, unless in stop and go driving, (shorter shifting time) I like the breaking and the quick downshifting will slow you down faster, safe driving for me.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use it all the time. I like the higher shift points and the downshifts.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
You can push it anytime.

It resets every key cycle so you have to push it again.

On flat ground pulling light loads it will hurt your MPG since the trans stays in a lower gear.

I pull a 10' cargo trailer and use mine on long down hills to slow down using engine braking. If I want to coast down the hill, I turn it off and let the motorhome "loose" to gain (or maintain) speed.

I'll sometimes push it on at the bottom of a hill to get a "jump" on the hill climb ahead. That way I go into the uphill in a lower gear.

You should use it like you would if you were downshifting a manual transmission. When on, the truck downshifts sooner & it helps hold the truck back on hills. It also allows you more power (when on) to climb hills. 99 miles out of 100 mine is off and I travel east TN and western NC. We have some hills!

Play with it some, you can't hurt anything, well,,,, unless you push it when you're doing 150 MPH. You might want to stay in high gear then ๐Ÿ˜‰

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, then on my way back to Southern NJ from SW Fla, while towing our Jeep I should activate the TH the entire way?
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anytime I start the engine, the next move is to press the tow/haul regardless of if I have the toad attached.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As phil-t said, it doesn't matter when you press the button; you can do so any time (though, of course, it's not very useful to do so when the engine isn't running since it doesn't "stick"). You can be moving, standing still, in neutral, in park, in gear, backing up, free-falling off a cliff, etc.

With modern computer controlled automatic transmissions, you can move the shift lever willy-nilly without damaging the transmission or engine, for that matter. It won't downshift if doing so would cause the engine to overrev, even if you've told it to downshift by moving the shifter. That doesn't make arbitrary random shifting a recommended practice; it just means that you stand essentially no chance of harming your vehicle by shifting incorrectly.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always use Tow Haul when you are towing {hence the name} but even if you are not towing the weight/load of the coach itself is more than enough reason to use tow haul... all of the time. Add a scan Gauge {or similar product} that gives you transmission fluid temps and you will quickly see the immediate benefit of using TH.

Occasionally I forget to engage TH and as soon as I encounter even a slight grade the trans fluid temp starts climbing. Happily I usually notice the Scan Gauge display and quickly correct by engaging TH. The temp will drop 12 - 15 degrees in just a couple of miles as TH locks up the torque converter eliminating heat generating friction.

Engaging TH accomplishes several things, all of them good. On steep climbs the shift points are adjusted for greater efficiency. As noted above on long downhill grades you can let the engine braking control your descent. A typical 6 - 12 mile 6 to 8 percent grade often requires zero brake pedal application and you are not burning a drop of fuel all the way to the bottom where you arrive with cool, fully functional brakes.

The impact of using TH on fuel economy is insignificant given the performance and safety benefits, many even report improved fuel economy. Sadly, the Tow Haul function is often neglected, misunderstood or just plain ignored... TH is your firend.

:C

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how or when you press the button.
2014 Allegro 36LA

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I use my tow-haul around town, and off when i get on the freeway.Then when climbing hills and going down hills i use the braking. never have to use my brakes on hills.