cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scaly Ears

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Two Dachshunds. When they had their last check up we mentioned they seem to be loosing hair. One is black and the other Isabella. No itching, scratching, ear slapping, nibbling or other indications of something wrong. Nothing that appears to be dandruff or dry skin. Vet stepped out of office and when he came back in he said it sounded like pattern baldness. Neither have any hair on their belly but their chests do. There is no complete loss of hair. Just an over all thinning on the sides. Hair is very fine whereas our previous Red Dachshund had coarse hair. They will be 3 in August and both female and sisters. More noticeable on the black because her skin is almost white and the Isabella slightly tan. Nothing in their diet has changed. Occasionally they seem to be tired of their food so wife will mix a few drops of olive oil on their food.

They have developed scales on the outside of the ears. The opposite side is clear and smooth. Slightly yellow. Scales are soft but slightly crusty in the folds and lift on the edges. Ears are clean and they have never had fleas nor is mosquitoes a problem. The vet gave us Gentaved. We sprayed and rubbed in twice a day and that seemed to help for a while. Scales came back and now it does nothing. I stopped using because it smells like alcohol although it is not listed in the ingredients and I feel that alcohol would be drying out the skin. Bedding is kept clean and washed with All which is dye and perfume free.

Any ideas? As I said, other than visible to us there is nothing about the symptoms that bother them. They will be going in to get their nails clipped so the vet will see them then.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
6 REPLIES 6

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Ears are better. I have been applying a triple antibiotic on their ears and with the exception of slightly rough and crusty along the very edges there has been much improvement in 3-4 days I have been using it. Will continue to post updates.

Although it may not be an infection the use of an ointment that remains on the ear may be helping to keep it moisturized as Doug stated.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our dogs had ears with a rough interior. He was also prone to ear infections if water moved into them. We used an enzyme/steroid treatment for the infection and cleared it. Turns out that the inside of his ears were normally rough. Unusual but not a sign of a health issue. He had what we call boar bristle hair. Rough just like the hair follicles.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dturm
I've seen dozens of these type of cases over the years. Sometimes we can't isolate a cause. It is reasonable to rule out thyroid problems (even in individuals that young)and if everything is OK try dietary supplements and/or diet changes.

Another cause is a chronic yeast infection in the ear and on the skin. Often with these the feet are also affected and there is usually itching, so I'd put that lower on the list of possible causes.

I've found that any oil based salve rubbed on the ear margin helps - it softens the scale and prevents secondary infection. Many use vitamin E ointment.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Random thoughts that aren't worth much --

As stated, hypothyroidism can cause hair loss and skin issues. Probably unlikely, though, given that it's occurring in both of them and they're young dogs. It's more an issue with middle aged and older dogs. I assume, as with people, that there's a hereditary connection with hypothyroidism in dogs. But it still would be very odd I think for it to occur in both of them at the same time.

The oily form of seborrhea can cause hair loss and scales, although there will usually be a lot of other symptoms (greasiness, overall itchiness, odor, etc.).

Color dilution alopecia. A genetic condition that can cause hair thinning and flakiness. Doxies are one of the breeds it occurs in. Apparently only in certain colors, though. So may not even apply to your two.

Cushing's disease can cause hair thinning, especially along the sides. Again, I think this is unlikely given their relatively young ages and that it's occurring in both of them at the same time.

Since it's occurring in both of them I'd (obviously) be considering something environmental or genetic. If they're not prone to having sensitive tummies I'd consider a food switch.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Thyroid issues. Can be diagnosed with series of blood tests and if indicated can be treated with synthroid.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if these vets might be helpful: Ask a expert...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.