cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for Canadian Snowbirds

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to set up Dish or Directv satellite TV. How do you pay for these accounts when they will not accept Canadian Credits cards I do not want to set up an American bank account
8 REPLIES 8

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Dish "Pay as you go" for several years.
We bought the receiver and the tailgater from Camping world.
Campingworld programmed the receiver using the store office
as our "home" address.
We get our bill each month on email. Whenever we change location,
we call and get local programming.
You require a US phone number so we have a Tracfone.

We can go online with "live chat" to do the same thing.
Sometimes it is faster than a phone call.

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
I guess they just do not trust that we will be only using their services in the USA Had problems with Tracfone They would not send SIM card to Canadian even though phone would not work in Canada Now I have a phone with no SIM card Straight talk Hotspot I try and buy cards at Walmart

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Lenny.......you should never say you are Canadian......they are not licensed to broadcast in Canada. When we signed up we used a rv park address in the USA but gave them our credit card number. You can do paperless so they never send anything to the US adddress you used.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Do they ask for an address when you are paying with a US Credit card? When I tried using mine with Straight Talk they asked for an address and since I didn't have a US address they refused my card.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
We have a US credit card and pay Dish with it.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish and use Dish chat to have them charge our credit card every month. When you subscribe make sure you do not tell them you are Canadian. When in Canada we do not subscribe to local channels (saves you $10) as they do not come in in . Dish reception works in Canada but the coverage degrades the further north you go. It works fine for us in southern Alberta but in Edmonton its not great, breaks up when it rains etc.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
trtog7 wrote:
I would like to set up Dish or Directv satellite TV. How do you pay for these accounts when they will not accept Canadian Credits cards I do not want to set up an American bank account

Good morning. Just set up an American credit card account thru your Canadian Bank. Works for us.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
What about buying a pre-paid Visa or MC card? Not sure if they would accept it but worth a try asking.