cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US Rt. 89

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving Moran Wy. and eventually getting to Kanab Ut. This will be the trip of a lifetime for the wife and I, so would like to see as much as possible of this great country.

I was thinking about taking rt. 26 from Moran(Grand Tetons) to rt 89 into Brigham City Ut. I have never been further west than Devils Tower, so I am not real sure how I will handle mountain driving. I realize that these are all US rts. so they should not be all that bad.

We will be coming from W. Yellowstone to Moran and eventually south to Phoenix with all kinds of stops along the way. At Brigham City I am planning on picking up I15 to St. George. Sorry for getting off topic but the question is, how will the drive down 89 be?

I am trying to make my route with as little true mountain driving as possible +7-8% grades and steeper, shear drop offs w/o guard rails, switch backs etc.

Tell me if I have bitten off more than I can chew or should I try a different route? We are both retired, so a long drive is not required other than making reservations. In other words, not more than 250/300 miles per day.

In case my sig does not show up, I will be pulling a 30 ft tip to tail toy hauler with a 2016 F150 Ecoboost and max tow.

Thanks for all of the input, it is really appreciated.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler
10 REPLIES 10

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
89 through Panguitch is valley bottom driving. 143 west does climb in mountains, going all the way to Cedar Breaks, the highest monument. I can see why someone with a less-capable RV would want avoid that. But after 10 years I can still visualize the drive along 143, while 89 was unmemorial.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't really understand all the discussion about mountain roads. If you want to see the good parts of America you just have to learn to deal with it. It is more tiring than driving flat straight roads, so just make your first few days pretty short. Contol your speed and pull grades in the right gear. Do not ride your brakes. Watch your temp gauges and you will be fine.

I used to drive through southern Utah twice a year for a job on the Navajo Res. There is nothing special about any of those roads including US 89.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
89 near Panguitch is just fine. But don't take a "once in a lifetime" drive there without going over to Bryce Canyon, even if just for a few hours.

Also the descent along 89A just east of the North Rim turnoff is spectacular. You'll be a good mountain driver by then!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 89 is a good highway around Panguitch. That area of 89 could be classified as 'rolling hills and somewhat level'. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not sure what you could have read about it.

Best Friends is an awesome facility and the tour is great. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years, but I don't recall any bad stretch near Panguitch.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
With our 40' motorhome we've taken 89 south to Montpelier, Idaho (89 takes you into 3 states around that corner). At Montpelier pick up 30 to 16 to Evanston, WY. Then I-80 to 189 to Heber City, UT (on the backside of Salt Lake City - unless you want to go there) beautiful country. Plan a night or two at Jordanelle State Park or in Heber City. Take 189 to Provo, UT where it becomes 89 again and down to Kanab, UT.

No big issues except for some short 6% downhills. Use your brakes wisely. Downshift before even starting down; not in the midst. No drop-offs. ๐Ÿ™‚ All is a beautiful drive.

If you do go south on I-15 (boring & lots of traffic) you mentioned St. George, UT. If you want to get to Kanab from St. George take Hwy 9 east to Hurricane, Ut and then pick up 59 which becomes 389 in Arizona which will take you to Fredonia, AZ/Kanab, UT. In this area are Zion & you could stay in Hurricane as a day trip. When you get to Fredonia/Kanab area you're also near Grand Canyon North Rim.

Any particular reason to spend 2 weeks in the Phoenix area in July/August? Wow! You're going to have 110+ temps.

Lots of choices and be glad you're retired then you don't have to rush back.... do you?

The reason for not taking 89 all the way to Kanab is that I thought I had read where there was a rather bad stretch of road near Panguitch. Not sure exactly where I read that or which road was being referred to but I thought it was 89. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first.
time.

We are actually planning to spend a couple of nights in Fredonia AZ at the Kaibab Paiute Tribal Campground. I would like to spend some time at the North rim and also see some of the local area. Also going to spend a couple of days in Kanab both to check out one or two of the parks and also to spend some time at my wifes favorite charity, The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.

As for spending time in Phoenix at that time of the year, we have both very good friends and also family in the area. By the time we get to Phoenix it will be early Sept. not that it makes a lot of difference. And no, we do not have to rush back, may end up in central Florida to see my mom and some more family.
cliffy49

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
With our 40' motorhome we've taken 89 south to Montpelier, Idaho (89 takes you into 3 states around that corner). At Montpelier pick up 30 to 16 to Evanston, WY. Then I-80 to 189 to Heber City, UT (on the backside of Salt Lake City - unless you want to go there) beautiful country. Plan a night or two at Jordanelle State Park or in Heber City. Take 189 to Provo, UT where it becomes 89 again and down to Kanab, UT.

No big issues except for some short 6% downhills. Use your brakes wisely. Downshift before even starting down; not in the midst. No drop-offs. ๐Ÿ™‚ All is a beautiful drive.

If you do go south on I-15 (boring & lots of traffic) you mentioned St. George, UT. If you want to get to Kanab from St. George take Hwy 9 east to Hurricane, Ut and then pick up 59 which becomes 389 in Arizona which will take you to Fredonia, AZ/Kanab, UT. In this area are Zion & you could stay in Hurricane as a day trip. When you get to Fredonia/Kanab area you're also near Grand Canyon North Rim.

Any particular reason to spend 2 weeks in the Phoenix area in July/August? Wow! You're going to have 110+ temps.

Lots of choices and be glad you're retired then you don't have to rush back.... do you?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have used route 89 in the opposite direction from Brigham City to the Tetons several times. It is indeed a beautiful drive all the way. LittleJimsSon is correct about the grade up from Bear Lake. My recollection is that it is only about 2 miles long. Going back down to Logan is a much more shallow grade.

Assuming you will be driving through Yellowstone NP from West Yellowstone to Moran, you will already have some mountain driving experience going through the Park. If you decide not to take route 89 all the way, you can go right onto route 26 at Alpine Junction to Idaho Falls, then I15 on south. Do not be tempted to take route 22 west of Jackson to get to Idaho Falls, due to 10% grades & sharp curves.

Personally, I would use route 89 all the way.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea about this trip. It does not start till the last day of July as we are also going out to Sturgis bike week for a couple of days and then to West Yellowstone for a week and the down to Moran for a couple of days.

I know this is not the best time to go to Yellowstone, but since we wanted to go to bike week again it only made sense to combine the two. Probably the worst part of the trip will be the 2 weeks plus we will spend in the Phoenix area.:E (very hot).

Again, thanks for the input.
cliffy49

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
US 89 is a good road and you should have no problems. We have driven it often in 3 different rigs (37 and 32 foot class A and 30 foot TT). Between Bear Lake and Logan is a bit of an abrupt curvy climb, but nothing above 7 or 8%. Good guard rails and road is maintained pretty well. Logan canyon should be gorgeous this time of year. Enjoy!
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.