cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Title?

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone has ever dealt with or purchased a Class A with a rebuild title.

I was looking at two used Class A units, online, and the prices didn't look too bad so I called on them. During the conversation I asked the salesman why one of them, which seemed to have many more options, lower miles, larger size and the same year and make as the other was a bit less in cost. He said it had a rebuild title - not sure if that is any different than a salvage title. He proceeded to tell me how excellent this coach is, and it may well be, but I was wondering a couple of things.

Is it more difficult to get insurance on a rebuild title? How tough would it be to sell something like this down the road - even if it turned out to be a good coach?

I have heard of and seen salvage or rebuilt TTs and some were fine but to total a motorhome seems like it would need to be relatively catastrophic. Anyone had any dealings with this type of thing in a coach?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
13 REPLIES 13

mark2842
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a coachmen freelander that had front passenger fender and the front top of camper body with damage. Was rebuilt and has a rebuilt NC title on it. I saw all the damage before the fix. It passed inspection here in Ga and waiting for state to send back title. Does anyone know who I can call for insurance? Full coverage if possible. Thanks in advance

Mark

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Ask your insurance company about salvage titles.
I wouldn't buy one.

Even if you do get an insurance company to cover it, the resale value is almost zero.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on why it has a rebuilt/salvage title. Sometimes there is minor damage but the value of the unit because of age/mileage makes it not worth repairing as far as the insurance is concerned. They would then total it and pay the owner a cash settlement. It doesn't mean the unit is a bad one.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
in Maryland it has a rule if the value of the repair is greater than 80 percent of value it gets a salvedge title can be registerd with inspection depends on units value if its a 10,000 thousand dollar unit 8,000 totals it I have bought older cars like this that nothing was wrong with get more information it will also be harder to resell

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
You will own it forever because most normal people wouldn't go anywhere near one

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I worked an auto theft unit for a couple of years during my LE career. I wouldn't touch a salvaged titled vehicle with a ten foot pole. Yes, you can watch TV shows where they take one, rebuild it and it's better than new. That's not the norm. No matter how much you think you're saving, you'll lose in the end. Either with insurance issues or resale of the vehicle.

There are vehicles that you may know exactly what happened to it and you could live with the damage and repair, but try and explain that to someone else a few years later when you're trying to sell it to someone who is questining why you're unloading it.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There are various reasons why a vehicle may be a total loss, and these can vary from state to state. Obviously what was wrong with it has a big bearing on how skeptical one should be of the rebuilt/salvage title. Often this information is not readily available; sometimes it is.

There are some states and situations where a stolen vehicle is declared a total loss and ends up with a salvage title even if it is later recovered with minimal or no damage. On the other side of the scale, flood damage or major structural damage from a crash or other such things can cause it to be totaled and be impractical to repair properly and economically. I would guess that the latter cases are more common...but I don't really know.

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone - kind of as I would expect. Rebuild titles normally signal (or at least could) significant issues.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are a far greater risk buying with a rebuilt/salvage title. As was mentioned above, flood damaged units that are insured get totalled and often they will be bought as junk by the unscrupulous, cleaned up, and retitled. Making a good, cosmetically acceptable repair on a collision damaged RV is usually too much work for the creeps so when you come across an RV with a new title, it's most likely a flood damaged one and it will quickly become a money pit for the unsuspecting buyer. Avoid salvage title RVs like the plague.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put the vin# in Google and you may find pictures of the damage as it probably went through Copart. I currently own three rebuilt vehicles...all from Copart. Two are hail damage and at half price...I like dimples. The other needed a PU bed. OH Yea, I also bought a 5er that a tree dented the side of the roof. Only one vehicle has collision so had to take it in to be looked at.
Call your insurance and without before repair pictures Good Luck
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your insurance company about salvage titles.
I wouldn't buy one.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Different states have different rules regarding titles with rebuilt titles. Some states have very difficult procedures and others couldn't care less. Also, many insurance companies will not insure vehicles with rebuilt titles. Resale value on vehicles with rebuilt titles are greatly reduced, and many of the vehicles can be problematic with maintenance, electrical, and safety issues.

I would not consider any vehicle with a rebuilt title regardless of cost.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:
Just curious if anyone has ever dealt with or purchased a Class A with a rebuild title.

I was looking at two used Class A units, online, and the prices didn't look too bad so I called on them. During the conversation I asked the salesman why one of them, which seemed to have many more options, lower miles, larger size and the same year and make as the other was a bit less in cost. He said it had a rebuild title - not sure if that is any different than a salvage title. He proceeded to tell me how excellent this coach is, and it may well be, but I was wondering a couple of things.

Is it more difficult to get insurance on a rebuild title? How tough would it be to sell something like this down the road - even if it turned out to be a good coach?

I have heard of and seen salvage or rebuilt TTs and some were fine but to total a motorhome seems like it would need to be relatively catastrophic. Anyone had any dealings with this type of thing in a coach?

Could be flood damage, Be wary, electronics could go bad.

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.