cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-75 thru Atl or US 27 N.

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Tallahassee area and have often traveled to the Chattanooga area on I-75 thru downtown Atlanta. Getting older and getting tired of the traffic on 75 particularly around and thru Atlanta. Been considering taking US 27 from Tallahassee all the way to Chattanooga thereby completely by-passing Atlanta. I know that route will be slower (thru small towns) but, I believe, more scenic and, hopefully, safer. Has anyone taken 27 N. thru Georgia and, if so, do you recommend it over I-75? Thanks for any comments.
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
8 REPLIES 8

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
It's been a few years but I've done that and recommend it. Atlanta simply isn't going to happen for me any more.

When you get to Columbus take the I-185 bypass, then east on US-80 for short jog to north on US-27/Veterans Parkway. I missed the bypass once and the Tour of Downdown Columbus took about an hour.

We live near Atlanta and have found the best time to travel through/around Atlanta is between 1AM and 3AM on a Monday morning. But there is no guarantee you still won't hit traffic
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all! US 27 it is...
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
27 from Tallahassee to Ft Benning(4 lane all the way), I185 to exit 142, 27 to LaGrange(good 2 lane), 27 to Rome, take GA 1 bypass to GA 53(mostly 4 lane) to I75. Check the Rome area map so you get on bypass. This is the easiest and BEST ROUTE through West Georgia to connect with I75 north of Atlanta!!
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We use US 27, no more I-75 for us. Got family in Woodbury, GA so we take US 19 then cut over.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
GA has spent a bunch of money making US 27 a divided four lane with bypasses around many of the towns. Very little traffic and lots of boring farm land. Depending on where in Tallahassee you might want to go to Albany and then Columbus before getting on 27.

After many easy trips through Atlanta the last one was really bad and I did not arrive until after 7PM hoping things would have died down some...NOT.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
We used to live west of Atlanta near Carrollton GA. From the gulf coast we would take 27 north to go back and forth. Later when visiting my mother outside of Chattanooga we determined that 27 was a better ride, it did in fact take longer, but then again more times than not an accident blocked I75 and any gain by the interstate was lost. The route is scenic and you will enjoy the trip. X2 on the I185 bypass for Columbus, do pay attention and make that move.
A good overnight spot just west of Carrollton is John Tanner state park if you need one.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years but I've done that and recommend it. Atlanta simply isn't going to happen for me any more.

When you get to Columbus take the I-185 bypass, then east on US-80 for short jog to north on US-27/Veterans Parkway. I missed the bypass once and the Tour of Downdown Columbus took about an hour.
-jbh-

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
Has anyone taken 27 N. thru Georgia and, if so, do you recommend it over I-75? Thanks for any comments.

Yes. And NO if you are on a schedule.

Much of 27 is a very nice road and not many small towns to slow you down IIRC. It's been a couple of years since I was on it.

BUT....75/85 through Atlanta really is NOT that bad if you miss rush hours (Murphy's Law not withstanding).
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"