cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help need ideas for road trip from NJ

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2 week vacation this year and want to take the new camper on a road trip from NJ (south jersey by Philadelphia).

Looking for realistic ideas and ways to maximize the time. I figure we will use 8-10 days and leave the other 4-6 days for rest/packing/unpacking, so we can't really travel across the country, but I would like to hear of any interesting places to go that are in reasonable distance to drive in a big circle, yet have time to see some interesting places you might not normally go.
19 REPLIES 19

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking okay not too far...boy did everyone else come with FAR.
How about new york state parks...some may still have openings...wellsley island.
Do you like to enjoy the parks or run around like an idiot seeing tourist attractions?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Finding that this is the hardest part of RVing, figuring out where to go. You didn't say if you had kids to keep entertained, but here is a suggestion. Up state New York, Niagara Falls Lake Erie Coast, Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point and the points of interest in between.

Don't try to fit too much in and make the trip all driving. I live in the Pigeon Forge area and would suggest that as there is LOTS of things to do for all ages. Asheville and the Biltmore Estate is close and a do-able day trip from the area. Maggie Valley and Cherokee NC is close too. It really all depends on how you want to entertain yourselves.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
What do you like to do? Natural things or tourist attractions?

Kids involved or not?

Love crowds or hate them? (fall would be better if kids are not involved and you prefer the off season...like we do)
Donna in NY

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Matt,

You are just about to realize exactly what an RV can do for you.
What you need to do now is try to decide what you want to see and do. If you come back and tell us, I bet you get so worthwhile advice. There is just too much to make easy suggestions. We have been at this quite a while now and it seems like the list of places we want to get to only grows.

One problem with the east coast megopolis is that camp grounds are scarce and expensive, but there are still enough places that you can ONP for free. If you are not self contained, this is less valuable. Most of the east coast does not allow overnight parking (camping) at highway rest areas and the beautiful parkways are all pass-car only. But there is still a great deal you can do. I don't have to tell you that parking will be a bear.

In NJ, you probably live in a sub with an HOA. If you can, get in the habit of bringing the RV home the day before departure so you can load up and go with the sun. This what the family did from central NJ when I was much younger. Load and unload should only take a day and you can stack that the Thursday-Friday then Monday-Tuesday of the allowed time. That way, you can use the entire 16 days for your travels.

Speaking of that....
This is a new thing for you?
Then plan to put the RV in the driveway for your first night. You will learn a lot about everything real fast.

We are refugees from the megopolis and while we do miss a few things the crowds and choking taxes and regulations are some we do not. We do travel back there to visit family, and go to reunions, but otherwise it is tough. I did not see any reference to family. If you will not have yungons in tow, get out of the "Summer Vacation" mode. You can avoid a lot of the crowd this way. Just be careful in you planning. Many of the family attractions roll-up the week after Labor Day. Very few campground are still open in October.

Good Luck

Matt (another one)
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Going to sit down with family and make some decisions ASAP.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Any good answer will depend on a couple of things:

1. What do you like to do? Hike, bike, fish, sit on the beach, ride motorcycles? Do you look for scenic locations or do historical sites like battlefields and buildings draw you?

2. When are you planning on going? Already you will find that popular places have been booked for months for the summer. Fall can be better, although when you get to leaf season, once again places get full quickly.

That being said, I'd head up to Acadia NP in Maine, taking your choice of routes. From there, head east to NH and VT and enjoy the mountains there. The Kancamagus highway mentioned by jplante4 is a very scenic drive. Then south back to home. A variety of routes for this loop, depending on your interests.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I didn't see the "big circle" part in your post.

Niagra-Watkins Glen-Adirondacks-Vermont side of Champlain-Kankamangus Hwy in NH-Mystic Seaport in CT and home. My trip planner says 1500 miles or so.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I love central PA. Acres and acres of wilderness, lakes, empty roads.
I ride motorcycles, bicycles and kayak - so this is a great place to spend out doors.PA State parks are being renovated, so bathhouses are relatively new and super clean. I'm heading out there again tomorrow.

Allegany NF is another great place to spend time out doors. The shores of Lake Erie have some great "beaches".
Gerry

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Head South! Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, Florida Coast.....

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Outer Banks in NC
Adirondacks
Lake Champlain
Myrtle Beach SC
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jules6 wrote:
Great Smoky Mountains, via I95-I85-I40 and return via I81 - Pennsylvania Turnpike. It would be about 4 days travel leaving you with the rest to do what ever you would like.

We did Nashville - Sayerville TN a few years ago.. What a great trip.... They are about 3-4 hours apart, 12- 13 hours to Nashville to begin the trip,,,, stay a few days, move to Pigeon Forge which is about 3 hours ( If I remember )... See the Great Smokies, possibly Dollywood.. Head home....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
Great Smoky Mountains, via I95-I85-I40 and return via I81 - Pennsylvania Turnpike. It would be about 4 days travel leaving you with the rest to do what ever you would like.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
lewisr wrote:
St.Louis, see the Arch and Budweiser Brewery tour, to West Memphis, Tom Sawyer Campground right on the Mississippi, tour Memphis, to Nashville, venture to Broadway street etc., take Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez, MS. then To New Orleans then to South Carolina Coast, then to Outer Banks then home.

Not a bad trip and interesting sites at each place but your suggestion is 3600 miles for them. They're not going to see much but windshield with the time frame the OP has given.
Camped in every state

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another good option, besides the several that have been listed, is the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive and GSMNP, in whatever combination or permutation you wish.

If you do go to St Louis, check out the City Museum, particularly if you have children. It's wonderful and unique.