cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Final Comanche Invasion of Vancouver Island

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We first invaded this beautiful island of the coast of British Columbia in 2003. Took our motorhome to Port Angeles, left it there and caught the ferry to Victoria. Spent ten days at a resort in Nanoose Bay.
In 2004, we again took the ferry from Port Angele to Victoria; however, this time we took our motorhome. We had no destination in mind, just drove up-island. Our first stop was in Parksville,then just headed on up. Parked the motorhome in a lay-by a bit south of Campbell River,unhooked the car and went looking for a nice RV park. We found Salmon Point RV Park and Marina by accident and booked in for a few nights, on the waterfront.
In 2005, and for the next ten years, we made an annual trek to Salmon Point, except for two years when went east to the Maratimes. Each time staying a bit longer.
We fell in love with our second home. Met many, many good Canadian natives as well as travelers from all over who were passing through.
Were it not for my British Bride's fear of flying, we may have attempted long-term arrangements and continued to visit the Island. Unfortunately,the only way we can get there is to drive.
Went north to Port Hardy once,just to say we had been there. Took the Jeep, followed a logging trail and drove to Coal Harbor (Harbour), also visited Port Alice. Quite a trip and quite a scene!
Always make it a point to visit Coombs and the goats on the roof, stand in awe in Cathedral Grove...
Another have-to is a visit to Gold River and up Mount Washington.
Oh, first stop after setting up at Salmon Point is a visit to Dick's Fish 'N Chips in the marina in Campbell River. Best fish 'n chips in the world!
I've kept a running log of our trips and can go back and retrace every where we've been,and whom we have met. The people are the best in the world! Except for one grumpy Brit ex-patriot who informed me that I was flying the Union Jack upsidedown...
...and maybe the poopy police who turned me in for not cleaning up after my Bear Killer at Salmon Point.
But two out of thousands is minor.
We were 500 miles into what would have been our final invasion when decided to abort the trip. Too many issues and both my British Bride and I had some bad vibes about the trip. Nothing specific, just several small but cumulative things.
Oh, we celebrated or 40th wedding anniversary two days ago.
So my many friends - it has been a trip,an adventure, moments in time that will remain with us forever. We'll sit back,remember those nights on Lighthouse Row,campfire blazing, cruise ships passing...
...sit back remember

The Final Invasion
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
8 REPLIES 8

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
It is apparent that many of you have relexed your guard since my announcement that my annual surprise dawn about noon raid is not happening this year.
True, I will not be there in person; however, I have left surrogates in place to collect tribute and bounty as usual.
As noted in "Rules and Conditions for Tribute and Bounty Payments, Article Four, paragraph 4.A.1. and 4.A.2." following applies:
4.A.1. Those living south of Nanaimo will make payments to ORION in Sidney. Payments are due by the 5th of the month.
4.A.2. Those living north of Nanaimo will make payments to ARTUM SNOWBIRD in Campbell River. Payments are due by the 5th of the month.
In accordance with Article Five, designted tribute recipients will trade shiny yellow rocks for appropriate baubles, bangles and beads, and will provide Certificates of Safety from Comanche Raids once appropriate tribute has been paid and trade goods have been exchanged.

Thank you for your support.

Have a great day!

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s for sharing some of the memories. Continue to enjoy the RV lifestyle, the world โ€œat your doorstepโ€, and each otherโ€™s company! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain....As always, a pleasure to read about your invasions. The Brit wife was a good choice and by the sound, she made a very good choice herself!

Lakeside

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your visits and your continued tongue in cheek reparte that always spiced you thrusts into this atmosphere. And Thanks for your gracious descriptions of my beloved Province. And thanks to your Bride that she keeps you writing like a King! or the Chief that you are!!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The one constant in life is that things keep changing.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
As our brother Tecumseh said;

โ€œAlways give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.โ€

You will always be welcome in the land of your British brideโ€™s people. Safe travels, blue skies, and plentiful game to feed your people.

Not now does not mean not ever again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you've had some really wonderful experiences and memories to share with everyone. Congrats (again) on 40 years. That's just awesome!

Blessings!

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the summary. Best wishes to you and your bride.