cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gallup NM to Bryce Canyon UT

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. In a couple of weeks we will be traveling with our 40 foot 5th wheel RV from Gallup, NM to Bryce Canyon, UT.

Google Maps suggests this route:
https://goo.gl/maps/zYzSXvMUwVK2

Any thoughts or suggestions on this route?

Thanks,
Chris
A resident of the great city of Austin, Texas
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate (6.7 Powerstroke)
7 REPLIES 7

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't do the tunnels, the only other way to Bryce is 12 from the east. That's a memorable drive in any vehicle.

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
All the roads on your map are just fine for any size RV, including the tunnels on Hwy 12. Tour buses use the tunnels. It's an extremely popular RV route.

Thank you.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
All the roads on your map are just fine for any size RV, including the tunnels on Hwy 12. Tour buses use the tunnels. It's an extremely popular RV route.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Measure your height. We barely squeaked through the last leg of your map on hwy 12 on the way to Bryce. I drove down the center of the road in two spots, just in case.

My wife shot a classic photo of my son and I measuring the height of our fiver just after we turned onto the highway.

Finding the official height of these arches is a total pain. I am not impressed with Utah DOT. Anway, I just spoke to a ranger at the Red Canyon Visitor Center on Highway 12 (close the arches) and he told me the inside edges of the arches are 13 feet 6 inches tall. The center of the arches are higher. So getting through the arch should not be a heigh issue for almost all motorhomes and 5th wheels. I am at 13-6 with at my tallest point which is my front A/C.

He also told me that there is a arch construction project underway. During the week the have the tunnels blocked off and you have to drive around the tunnels on a one lane by-pass road.

Utah DOT - Tunnel Construction Project Page

Thanks for the info.

dedmiston
cgaskins wrote:
Hello. In a couple of weeks we will be traveling with our 40 foot 5th wheel RV from Gallup, NM to Bryce Canyon, UT.

Google Maps suggests this route:
https://goo.gl/maps/zYzSXvMUwVK2

Any thoughts or suggestions on this route?

Thanks,
Chris

Measure your height. We barely squeaked through the last leg of your map on hwy 12 on the way to Bryce. I drove down the center of the road in two spots, just in case.

My wife shot a classic photo of my son and I measuring the height of our fiver just after we turned onto the highway.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have experience on some of the roads that Google Maps chose. Specifically, we have used routes 98 and 160 between Kayenta and Page and Routes 89 and 12 between Kanab and Bryce Canyon. These roads are fine with some rolling hills - no mountain driving. We have never used the roads between Gallup and Kayenta but Google Maps in terrain view does not show them crossing mountainous areas. Road surface condition is another matter. You could use Google Street View to get an idea what the road condition and actual terrain looks like. Most folks seem to use route 89 between Page and Kanab, but we like route 89A for the scenery and for access to the Grand Canyon North Rim. 89A does have an ascent with 6-7% grade going up toward Jacob Lake and a descent further on going down to Kanab.

Bryce Canyon is beautiful. Make sure you get all the way out to the furthest overlook to see Byrce Amphitheater. Just WOW!
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Google is not pulling a 40 foot 5er! 🙂

Been a while since we have been on the roads south of Page but from there on up is the way you want to go. And I think the other will be fine as well - leave that for sure to someone else.

Bryce is one of our favorite places - been there a few times and, God willing, next year again.

Email or PM me if you want info.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times