cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fastening a coat rack to a wall - no studs

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I stuck a coat rack to the wall with velcro that was rated for what I estimated 3 coats would weigh, but I guess I underestimated, since it fell off the wall (velcro halves separated but each side stayed stuck to its respective surfaces). So, what kind of fastener have you used successfully through the wallboard?
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
20 REPLIES 20

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
First question is permanent mounting versus non-permanent. Permanent is always stronger, but is going to show wall damage if you change your mind. We went with single coat hooks near the door and I used stainless steel (no rust - stronger than aluminum) pop rivets and small screw head size washers. The rivets hold tighter to the wall than plastic wall anchors or molly bolts. And exterior walls often have foam insulation that prevents molly bolts from fully expanding. Always pre-drill for any permanent mount.

For non-permanent mount - yes I use Command tape. Make sure you prep the surface for longest life.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
2112 wrote:
I use #8 X 1" plastic expanding wall anchors.

Same here.

Add Loctite PL Construction adhesive behind the board and you will NEVER remove it.

But then I couldn't bring it into the new rig (where apparently we have no place to hang it! :B ).

You a bad man.
chevman:S
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
2112 wrote:

Same here.

Add Loctite PL Construction adhesive behind the board and you will NEVER remove it.

But then I couldn't bring it into the new rig (where apparently we have no place to hang it! :B ).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
3M makes a MUCH better product than velcro. It's called Dual Lock. Sold lots of places, but here it is at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B0141MQRGI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
2112 wrote:

Same here.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:

Same here.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Oscar rivets (type of blind rivet). Very strong and made for this sort of application. I've used them in luan for towel hooks, coat hooks, TP holder & towel bar in kitchen and in a few other spots.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the wall thickness, these might work....https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-Twist-N-Lock-75-lb-8-x-1-1-4-in-Philips-Zinc-Plated-Nylon-Flat-Head-Drywall-Anchors-with-Screws-4-Pack-11364/100165900

If going into paneling, I would predrill the hole
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
no studs in the wall where I want the coat rack. It's between the entrance door and the back wall. I looked at it again yesterday and realized I used round dots of velcro about 2" diameter. I believe I can replace those with a strip of velcro the full length of the board and "should" hold. if not, then will do some kind of anchor into the wall.

Thanks to all.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We use an over the door coat/towel rack and hang it over the bathroom door. It has 6 hooks, no weight restriction. I remove it for travel.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Are there any studs in the wall? Interior or exterior wall? I made a coat rack from a piece of oak I bought at Lowe's. Made it about 2 feet long to span 2 studs I found with an electric stud finder. Added 6 coat hooks. Used it to hang coats, pants, shirts & plastic grocery bags with potato chips, Doritos, Cheetos and other dry snack foods instead of filling up the cabinets with them. I even hung a mesh bag with oranges on it.
. Best answer
I have done this method many times. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
1/8" short molly bolts or jack nut for #6 or #8 screws.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have Command Hooks on each side of the bed. I put them there the day we brought the camper home from the dealer (going on 5 years now). Hooks still there and are used all the time for hanging clothing.