cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 460 noise?

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys I have a 1997 F53 with 11k miles on the clock. The thing is like brand new. Now I have ears like a dog and can hear noises many people can’t, infact I really haven’t heard an engine before that didn’t make any noise at all but when I start the motor home up if you are outside or have the side window open you can hear some tapping or knocking while it’s cold. Maybe like a few marbles in a dryer.. when it’s warm it seems to be fine.. keep in mind there is another sound like a hearing sound possibly and we thought it was the alternator because we put the stethoscope on it and could hear the bearing sound when doing it on the AC compressor it was silent. Yet after a new alternator and smog pump later it’s still there and can also be heard from the water pump which is why I believe that noise is from the water pump, which also gets quieter as it warms up.. could anyone have any ideas on what the first noise is? Maybe it’s normal? At 11k I cant see the engine being anywhere near worn out let alone even broken in. I just had Banks headers installed and the oil is fresh T6 5w40.

Thanks guys!
13 REPLIES 13

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you luck out and draw a really good mechanic, the pump can be changed from the bottom with the coach on a lift. Most will want to remove the A/C condenser and radiator, at greater expense. I change my 95 F53 water pump through the dog house. It's a real bear to scrape gaskets when you can only see them with a mirror.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
cm2785 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
cm2785 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
I had the same issue after ruling out everything else I brought it to the local Ford Truck shop and they said it needed a new water pump.

Hey Kevin,

You had the ticking knocking noise and it was the water pump?

Yep. I used pipe to check sound and ruled out everything but the water pump and belts. I changed the belts and still had the ticking sound so I took it down to Truck shop and they confirmed it was the water pump. My rig is 92 with 7.5 460.

Thanks Kevin! How much did it end up costing to replace it?

Don't remember but it was spendy - probably close to a grand might have done it myself if I was younger and more flexible. Since I was getting new pump I had them replace the hoses as well.
Kevin

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
When you have an engine that old, that's done a lot of sitting, you get all kind of issues, especially with rubber items and corrosion internally. If not the water pump, you might have a lifter sticking a bit then frees up after it gets more oil pressure. I agree with the moderator I would use 10-30 not 40 weight. I was able to permanently cure this exact problem with a can of Lenckite poured in with the engine cold. Lenckite has in it some ether, which is one of the best cleaner/solvents known. You can get the same product under the label Avblend that is FAA approved for aircraft engines. Ether evaporates very quickly with heat, so the product must be added to the oil with the engine cold and then start the engine right away. The ether dissolves the varnish deposits and breaks down any bits of carbon that could be hanging up the lifter. I don't generally advise oil additives but this is one that works as intended. Of course after you run the engine for 5 -10 minutes drain the oil and put in new. The old oil will come out very black from the dissolved junk.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
cm2785 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
I had the same issue after ruling out everything else I brought it to the local Ford Truck shop and they said it needed a new water pump.

Hey Kevin,

Yep. I used pipe to check sound and ruled out everything but the water pump and belts. I changed the belts and still had the ticking sound so I took it down to Truck shop and they confirmed it was the water pump. My rig is 92 with 7.5 460.

Thanks Kevin! How much did it end up costing to replace it?

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
cm2785 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:

Hey Kevin,

Kevin

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys, I believe the sound was still there before headers and the headers were just installed and tightened.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:

Hey Kevin,

Zman300
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Tighten your header to cyl head bolts and do it often. Loose bolts will cause a ticking sound when cold and then seal up when warm.(exhaust leak) Dave

ArchHoagland wrote:
I was going to suggest exhaust manifold leak until I saw you just had headers put on it.

Was the noise there before the headers were installed?

X3
My first thought was exhaust manifold leak.
No RV at the moment.
Looking to hit the road in a year or two.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Possible serpentine belt noise? I made the mistake of buying OReilly's brand belt and it would click/chirp when cold. Returned it for the more expensive Gates belt. Noise gone.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to suggest exhaust manifold leak until I saw you just had headers put on it.

Was the noise there before the headers were installed?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Tighten your header to cyl head bolts and do it often. Loose bolts will cause a ticking sound when cold and then seal up when warm.(exhaust leak) Dave

MrWizard
the book on my 97 f53 460
recommends 10w-30w

5w-40 might be too thin when cold

also i'm old school, i would not use/run pure synthetic of any weight
blended OK, but not pure
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s