cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Motorhome amenity, geysers?

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
From what I had just read Thor has a new amenity for their premium Class A, Sewage Geysers.
http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article211157969.html

Even the top of the line units seem to be rather problematic.
Makes you wonder how the rest of them ever manage to get off the manufacturing facilities lot without falling apart.
17 REPLIES 17

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I don't believe that ANY manufacturer, large or small, would ever plumb the shower drain into the black tank.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Dutch.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Actually, I believe some brands do have the shower drain into the black tank, however some people may look at all drain water as sewage, dont know in this case.

NFPA 1192, "Recreational Vehicles", is included in the RVIA standards by reference, and calls for no fixture drains connected to the body waste tank to be located below the toilet flood level.

Does this standard enjoy the force of law or is compliance voluntary? I ask because I look askance at an industry policing itself.

RVIA members are required to follow the published applicable standards subject to periodic inspections. The recent HUD RV definition rewrite also calls for RV manufacturers to comply with the RVIA/ANSI/NFPA standards as well. And the federal DOT requires compliance with their vehicle related standards of course.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Actually, I believe some brands do have the shower drain into the black tank, however some people may look at all drain water as sewage, dont know in this case.

NFPA 1192, "Recreational Vehicles", is included in the RVIA standards by reference, and calls for no fixture drains connected to the body waste tank to be located below the toilet flood level.

Does this standard enjoy the force of law or is compliance voluntary? I ask because I look askance at an industry policing itself.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Not to defend Thor (or any RV for that matter), but the claim that sewage geysered out of their shower whenever they flushed the toilet is obviously false, since there is no connection between the two systems.

Well, there shouldn’t be a connection but who knows what happens in the Three Stoogish Hoosier RV factories. By it’s nature a flaw is something that shouldn’t exist but does.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
On various RV Forums I often read owner's writings about the many issues they have with initial quality with lots of trips to the dealership to get things fixed. More than a few recommend buying used to avoid all those initial quality problems and get one with all the kinks worked out (maybe...wouldn't want the one from the article!!!)

Being a long-time RVer, but new to these forums, I was shocked because I've owned many new RV's, including two gas Class A's and one Class A DP (along with several towables). I'd have to say that overall we've had just a handful of initial quality issues and none of them were anywhere close to serious in nature. Most were not even really the fault of the coach builder, but rather something like a generator or other installed equipment.

Now, the last new RV I bought was back in very early 2009, which was a Newmar. Perhaps things have gotten a lot worse over the last decade.

We always try to do a LOT of study on the manfacturing of the RV...how well are they built by any given brand? Perhaps that is why we have rarely encountered issues. Or...perhaps we've just had an unusual amount of luck. On the other hand, I often overhear people at RV shows who clearly have done no research, but are falling for that "shiney penny" they see. Big mistake.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
The BBB is the last thing I would rely on to make an informed decision. It is a collection of business whose purpose is to protect each other. It is the fox guarding the henhouse. "In 2010 ABC's 20/20 reported in a segment titled "The Best Ratings Money Can Buy" about the irregularities in BBB ratings.They reported that a man created two dummy companies which received A+ ratings as soon as he had paid the membership fee. They also reported that business owners were told that the only way to improve their rating was by paying the fee. In one case a C was turned to an A immediately after a payment and in another case a C?minus became an A+.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The SHOWER should be plumbed to teh GRAY or WASH tank (the wash tank is a 2nd Gray no kitchen sink in wash) has nothing to do with toilet. at least that's how it is in my Thor product.

I have a bath and a half and the only way to Giser it is to not pay attention and flush the main Macerator then flush the gravity toilet with teh black tank overfull. They forgot to hook up the level sensors on the macerator which would prevent flushing if the black tank is full So I always get a green light

Only a problem one time and not much of one at that. as it did NOT overflow.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article211157969.html
The lawsuit says the couple's highly anticipated life on five wheels instead...

...geysered from their shower drain like an off-color Old Faithful each time they flushed the toilet.

I want to see videos of both! :h

As far as the BBB there a group of merchants who's goal is to spread lipstick on their junk products/services to proclaim their junk is great, and to funnel money to members of Congress to promote their shady ways.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Actually, I believe some brands do have the shower drain into the black tank...
That would be news to me. Bathroom sink, yes, but shower? Never seen/heard of that.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
https://thor-industries.pissedconsumer.com/review.html
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like so many other stories out there and posted on here. Couple buys expensive motor home with dreams of 'hitting the road' then finds out the lifestyle is not suited to their tastes. What to do? Bite the bullet and sell at a loss or sue the company to get their money back? Sounds like the made the latter choice. Obviously they're not headed in the right direction. Geysers don't/can't come from the shower, even in a Thor....just sayin. Hope the company fights it...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
36 closed complaints as per the BBB is great if there were only 37 voiced, if there were 200, not so much, article doesnt say. It also doesnt say they were fixed, only that the BBB closed the file.
With the comments we see in here all the time, and with Thor being a frequent recipient of the complaints, I thought this may be of interest. Personally, I dont have a dog in this hunt beyond not liking seeing someone ripped off, whether thats the case here will get answered later.