Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bay Area CA RV Full-Time?

Kozinator510
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

To get around the ridiculous house and rental prices in the Bay Area, CA, the wife and I are thinking of buying an RV and living out of it.

What we don't want to do is live in an RV park, as that would cost about what we already pay in rent, when you factor in RV maintenance as well.

I thought we could just find a relatively secluded parking spot somewhere close to work and park there Monday-Friday, then just head to an RV park for the weekend to charge up and empty our tanks. However, after doing some research, I found that's easier said than done.

Figured I should ask the good people on this forum who might have had some experience full timing in the Bay Area.

Can anyone help uson this?
31 REPLIES 31

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I am closing this topic, before it goes south. OP, you have been given good advice, consider it.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with advertising for someone to let you park on their property in the Bay area.

Any possibility of just moving out of the Bay area... different jobs? Another state? It just sounds like you need to find someplace that's a lot cheaper to live.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kozinator510
Explorer
Explorer
@udidwht: Thanks. Do you have a link to that section?

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Kozinator510 wrote:
@toedtoes: It doesn't necessarily have to be streets. I created the post with an open-ended destination, seeing if people on this forum had experience with this sort of situation.
How long? As long as we live in the Bay Area.
If the RV breaks down, Airbnb time until we get it back from the shop.
We have one other car at the moment.

@udidwht: That shouldn't be a problem. We can always the move the RV after 96 hours.

It's looking like I should just put an ad up on Craigslist seeking someone who would let us camp out on their property in exchange for a daily or monthly fee.

Does anyone else have any more advice?

Your best bet is to not make a habit of staying more than a couple of days in one spot before moving elsewhere. Also purchase & keep an abridged edition of the California vehicle code with 22658 highlighted. Keep it separate from the vehicle that may attempt to be towed.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Kozinator510
Explorer
Explorer
@toedtoes: It doesn't necessarily have to be streets. I created the post with an open-ended destination, seeing if people on this forum had experience with this sort of situation.
How long? As long as we live in the Bay Area.
If the RV breaks down, Airbnb time until we get it back from the shop.
We have one other car at the moment.

@udidwht: That shouldn't be a problem. We can always the move the RV after 96 hours.

It's looking like I should just put an ad up on Craigslist seeking someone who would let us camp out on their property in exchange for a daily or monthly fee.

Does anyone else have any more advice?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
It will be impossible. The Bay area has extensive experience dealing with the fact that real estate prices are astronomical.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but there is a house damaged by fire near my Mom's house in Willow Glen - San Jose. It is boarded up. Condemned. Essentially it is just a lot with burned debris on it. Selling price: $799k
There is something special about camping in an RV.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
You're going to have a very difficult time trying to find streets that you can park on for 5 days a week every week. How long do you plan on doing this? A year? Five years? Forever? What happens when your RV breaks down and has to go into the shop for a week?

Do you really think no one will notice the motorhome parked on the street all week? What about your other vehicle(s)? Or are you just going to use the motorhome to get everywhere in the Bay Area?

I understand your dilemma regarding housing costs in the Bay Area, but this is just not a viable solution. You are better off putting that money towards a cheap commuter car or amtrak passes and living further away.

I can offer some insight on this (retired cop from CA.) most cities in CA. allow parking on surface streets for 72-96 hours before the vehicle must be moved. Business such as grocery stores etc...can only tow pursuant to 22658 CVC (generally after 96hrs have passed but not prior to having been given a parking notice.

Most people are also completely unaware that in California if you (owner) come upon a tow company in the process of towing your vehicle and he/she has not left the lot they are required by law to return the vehicle immediately & unconditionally to you. Not doing so is a misdemeanor. (Section F: (B)22658

The tow operator can only impose a charge of not more than one-half the regular towing charge for towing of vehicle. The regular rate can only be imposed after the vehicle has left the property and is in transit.

Tow company possession does not occur until after the vehicle has left the property and is in transit.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would argue that if you are living in an RV that's pretty much always parked on public streets, you are homeless.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the worst commutes in the bay area, it takes 1.5 to 2.5 hrs (if there is a wreck). We have a new, comfortable FW and I have looked everywhere in the south bay area for a place to park it so I could stay 3-4 days a week and come home on the weekends. Forget it, there is nowhere to do this other than the Santa Clara Fair grounds and it's a toilet...I'd never park my rig there.
Great idea, but I can't find anywhere so I just fight the traffic out on 680 everyday.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You may need to check with some of the locals but CA has more people living full time in their RV's on city streets "legally" than I have ever seen anywhere in the US. They are mostly really crappy looking Class C's and most of the folks living in them look like surfer dudes and gals but I am sure there are a great variety. They are parked along the streets in many downtown and residential areas and are not bothered by the police where this type of parking is allowed.
I am sure it can be done but the most difficult park might be trying to find regular weekend parking at a nearby RV park and even if you can, it will be quite pricy.

They are not parked legally. They get run off frequently. In the Bay Area there are very few places where street parking is legal and the police won't bother them. In other regions (central valley, etc.), you are more likely to be allowed to do this. But even there, more and more ordinances are being established to stop it.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may need to check with some of the locals but CA has more people living full time in their RV's on city streets "legally" than I have ever seen anywhere in the US. They are mostly really crappy looking Class C's and most of the folks living in them look like surfer dudes and gals but I am sure there are a great variety. They are parked along the streets in many downtown and residential areas and are not bothered by the police where this type of parking is allowed.
I am sure it can be done but the most difficult park might be trying to find regular weekend parking at a nearby RV park and even if you can, it will be quite pricy.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
You may find even with owner's permission, local ordinances do not allow living in areas zones business or industrial. I think you are getting yourself into a huge hassle.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're going to have a very difficult time trying to find streets that you can park on for 5 days a week every week. How long do you plan on doing this? A year? Five years? Forever? What happens when your RV breaks down and has to go into the shop for a week?

Do you really think no one will notice the motorhome parked on the street all week? What about your other vehicle(s)? Or are you just going to use the motorhome to get everywhere in the Bay Area?

I understand your dilemma regarding housing costs in the Bay Area, but this is just not a viable solution. You are better off putting that money towards a cheap commuter car or amtrak passes and living further away.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Just claim you're homeless and you'll be allowed to park anywhere in SF.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE