cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Network no HD on locals

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just moved from Phoenix to a Rapid City. We had HD locals all winter but here In Rapid City we only have standard definition locals. I’ve been texting with Dish Network and they can’t figure out why. they said we should have high definition. I’m wondering if Rapid City just does not offer high definition on their locals because I know that’s how it is in Yuma Arizona. I don’t think the dish guy I chatted with new much. Can anyone tell me if they are getting HD on the rapid city channels?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
19 REPLIES 19

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
HD being on the 61.5 sat may pose a problem for a mobile set up. Years ago at home when Dish first came out with HD we had one antenna pointed at the 110/119 sats, but they installed a separate antenna pointed at the 61.5 sat so that we would have our locals in HD and have all the other package channels that were on 110/119/129. Later they moved the local HD channels to 110 and removed the separate antenna. Such a setup of two separate antennas would be problematic for an RV.

You can now get a 1000.2 or 1000.4 with interchangeable WA and EA LNB assemblies. Things have been greatly simplified since the “old days”. I don’t know of any remaining “split arc” markets as you describe.

On edit: I didn’t know of any until I just looked up Rapid City again. I’m looking at an unofficial listing but if it’s accurate, you are correct. You can’t get the full channel line up with a single dish. Could that be true? I’m a little skeptical.
Larry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
HD being on the 61.5 sat may pose a problem for a mobile set up. Years ago at home when Dish first came out with HD we had one antenna pointed at the 110/119 sats, but they installed a separate antenna pointed at the 61.5 sat so that we would have our locals in HD and have all the other package channels that were on 110/119/129. Later they moved the local HD channels to 110 and removed the separate antenna. Such a setup of two separate antennas would be problematic for an RV.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The web site says Both, SD & HD, this is Dish.
http://www.satellitesolutions.com/dishnetwork/sd-dish-network-rapid-city-south-dakota.asp

This is a good website - for cities by state for Dish
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC&MC wrote:
Wow we’ve never aimed at 61.5. Wouldn’t know how to make the travler do that.

It’s not difficult but I’m not near my Trav’ler or the manual and I doubt I could help from memory. If you have your manual it’s in there.

On edit: Here it is. Look at “Manual Operation”.
SK-1000 Manual
Larry

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow we’ve never aimed at 61.5. Wouldn’t know how to make the travler do that.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure you can get all satellites. In some areas HD is on one satellite and in other areas HD is on a different satellite.

This shows HD and SD available.
Rapid City locals

But this shows SD only by satellite 110 and HD on 61.5.
Channel list by city

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rapid City HD locals are on the Dish Eastern Arc. You can get them by aiming your Travler at 61.5 but you won’t get all the other programming with just one satellite. I carry a portable tripod mounted Eastern Arc dish for just that situation.
Larry

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Below is the 119 transponder 1 spot beam map showing the A7 beam that carries the Sioux Falls locals. Sturgis is just a little more at the fringe than Rapid, but could still be doable with your Trav'ler. If it were me in your place, I'd give it a try. You can always switch your service address back if it doesn't work. It wouldn't be the first time I've changed my service address twice in one day...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must be too dumb to figure out the Spotbeam maps. We are in Rapid now but will actually spend the rest of the summer in Sturgis. We have a travler dish. Sure would like to know if Sioux Falls will work in Sturgis. If so i’ll Change my service address again.
Hate to not get HD. We get tired of changing the settings on the TV all the time to get a full screen
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
We did check the all channels list and only have SD for the locals here. I wonder if Sioux Falls is HD. I could give an address there and get HD

The Sioux Falls HD locals are on the 119 sat A7 spot beam. Rapid is on the fringe of the A7 footprint, but you may be able to get it ok depending on which dish you're using.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
DC&MC wrote:
We did check the all channels list and only have SD for the locals here. I wonder if Sioux Falls is HD. I could give an address there and get HD

If the spotbeam covers both .. I would bet not as the sparse north has very few beams and they don’t overlap much Sioux Falls is one of those city’s the satellitesguys maps have disappeared from
Bill

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
No its not it will say HD as in mpeg2 SD digital refers to the type analog or digital
I use the satelliteguys web site to research spot beam coveage .. if you click on the Beam number a map will display ..
I think The station won’t know .. Dish is the one who re transmits the signal the station doesn’t I can’t imagine rapid city not transmitting HD in Over the air broadcasts but anything is possible
Bill

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Call or e-mail the actual station to find out. They may have a webpage, but it probably won't say.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.