cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Dish network question

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember this happening last fall when we went south. We moved today and had to give a new service address to get locals. Yesterday we drove also but still used the address we had for a few days. Last night and tonight the Hopper 3 did not record prime time. It had the little yellow notation on the guide like itโ€™s gonna record, but it didnโ€™t. Is this something to do with our hopper being off while driving and having to re aim the dish? Last fall when it failed to record I think it did work like normal on the second day. Also we missed our 7;00 show cause it was on at 6;00. I thought our guide usually showed the correct time for our service address, but it appears our guide is showing the time for our billing address.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
16 REPLIES 16

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
DC&MC wrote:
We just arrived at rapid city. Our travler is set up for the west. So is this why we are going not getting the Rapid locals in SD? Also the prime time didnโ€™t record although the guide does indicate it should be recording.

Mmmmmm . . .

When you plug in a Rapids City, SD ZIP code like 57701 into DISH's Local Channel Finder, it shows both SD and HD channels.

However, when you check Rapid City on Satellite Guys List, it only shows SD locals, but I've heard these lists are out of date.

The fact that your Hopper 3 failed to record PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) shows may be a clue. PTAT only records in HD, not SD, unless only SD programming is available.

You should ask your question on Satellite Guys DISH Forum.

The most accurate Dish locals listing is the one updated daily by James Long.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: ok now on the second night here our hopper did record prime time. It recorded SD since we donโ€™t have HD. It appears that when we have driven and moved our service address that it takes some time before the prime time stuff automatically records. Itโ€™s happened twice to us now. Now I know if we have moved that I need to tell it manually to record a specific show we might want to see.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
We just arrived at rapid city. Our travler is set up for the west. So is this why we are going not getting the Rapid locals in SD? Also the prime time didnโ€™t record although the guide does indicate it should be recording.

Mmmmmm . . .

When you plug in a Rapids City, SD ZIP code like 57701 into DISH's Local Channel Finder, it shows both SD and HD channels.

However, when you check Rapid City on Satellite Guys List, it only shows SD locals, but I've heard these lists are out of date.

The fact that your Hopper 3 failed to record PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) shows may be a clue. PTAT only records in HD, not SD, unless only SD programming is available.

You should ask your question on Satellite Guys DISH Forum.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
I need to explain that we have a Hopper 3. It records all network prime time shows every night automatically. We do not need to tell it to do this.

We have the hopper 3 as well. It still has to know what locals and be able to receive them thru the spot beam.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to explain that we have a Hopper 3. It records all network prime time shows every night automatically. We do not need to tell it to do this.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re the recordings ..and assuming your talking about a โ€œLocalโ€ network station , if you moved out of the spot beam of the local network channel say NBC on KEEE and change the local to the new NBC station KERR ... no it wonโ€™t record .. itโ€™s looking for KEEE and canโ€™t find it. You need to create a new scheduled recording for the new NBC channel. This doesnโ€™t occur with HBO or STARZ Etc as those channels donโ€™t change.
Thatโ€™s one reason people use , and pay for the dns stations out of LA.
I donโ€™t know why it wouldnโ€™t record national channels .. ( like STARZ ) mine does no matter where I move.
Bill

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
ljr wrote:
DC&MC wrote:
We did chat with Dish to give them our new address. Why doesnโ€™t that person know that HD is on a different satellite. If I reprogram the travler to get 61.5 Iโ€™ll lose one of the others wonโ€™t I?

Youโ€™ll lose all of the others. Thatโ€™s a limitation of the Travโ€™ler and why I also carry a tripod mounted Eastern Arc dish.

Based on numerous conversations with Winegard, that is not likely to change.

The average Dish CSR is not a very good source of technical information though they have improved dramatically in recent years.

Iโ€™ve encountered several EA only markets but none as far west as Rapid City. Never quite understood that.
Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC&MC wrote:
We did chat with Dish to give them our new address. Why doesnโ€™t that person know that HD is on a different satellite. If I reprogram the travler to get 61.5 Iโ€™ll lose one of the others wonโ€™t I?

Youโ€™ll lose all of the others. Thatโ€™s a limitation of the Travโ€™ler and why I also carry a tripod mounted Eastern Arc dish.

Based on numerous conversations with Winegard, that is not likely to change.

The average Dish CSR is not a very good source of technical information though they have improved dramatically in recent years.
Larry

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC&MC wrote:

Yes to both. As mentioned in your other thread youโ€™ll need 61.5 from the Eastern Arc. Your Travโ€™ler doesnโ€™t support the full EA but 61.5 will get you HD locals and PT.
Larry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is SPOT BEAMING?

Imagine a large stage, On the floor of the stage is painted a map of the United states. Standing on your service location is the STAR of the SHOW singing his solo, he is covered by a Follow Spot operator.. (Spot light) ... Well if you are also standing in teh light, you have are seen, but if you are say on the other side of the stage, dressed as I was in Black, Changing out props on the set (I was a stage hand) Nobody sees you.

A spot light **IS** A spot beam

What is a CONUS beam.

Same stage.. FLOOD LIGHT that covers the entire stage for the big dance number.

SPOT Lights are SPOT beams

WHen you set up a service location, DISH authorizes your receiver for that spot beam. if you drive WITHIN the spot. All is good.. but if you leave the spot. All is DARK in regards to the locals.. You need to "Move" teh service address to the spot you are "Standing" in.

Example. When I had Dish/Direct my Service addy was Detroit.. Flint area (Where I am now) Same spot Kalamazoo,, Different spot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
go to this website
http://www.satellitesolutions.com/dishnetwork/sd-dish-network-rapid-city-south-dakota.asp
example i set for id Rapid City, SD. it will give you what channels you will receive.
BTW, I always use the Online Chat service for changing my service address. since 2014 only had about 5 glitches .
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
If you change spot beam areas you will have to call and get a โ€œbumpโ€ sent to your receiver even though the correct channels for the area you are in will probably show up on your guide. I just had that discussion with dish last night. We also use the hopper 3. We reset our locals often. A suggestion is that I have found using tech support (option 4) works much better than using a normal csr (option 3). Using tech support they understand what I want and I only have to give them a zip code. Normal csrโ€™s usually want a complete address which is unnecessary.

I have found that the guide times will often not read correctly or be complete until it reloads overnite. There is a way to force it to reload but I just donโ€™t bother.

BTW, we just passed thru Rapid City and had to change locals from Sioux Falls even though the Rapid locals showed up in the guide.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ