cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 6-cyl 4runner can!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Apprehensive at first. We can't get in and out of LA basin without passing the dreaded-white knuckle Grapevine-Tejon (14 miles - 6 degree grade), Cajon Pass (also 14 miles - 6 degrees) and Conejo.

In a Carpenteria trip, our first, we avoided Conejo uphill by taking the Malibu-I 10 route.

But can't with the Yosemite trip. Oh yeah, and snowed out.

Took the Grapevine-Tejon on a wing and a prayer. A pleasant surprise. Both downhill and uphill, the 4runner is in full control and way up with power to spare (on 3,400 rpm tops with no sign of over exertion).

I'm pulling a Coleman 17FQ (no kidding, you can't make this up) rated at 3,650 pounds and nearing 5,000 pounds loaded.

Cajon pass next - this time with more confidence on the way to North Rim Grand Canyon.
46 REPLIES 46

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
That's funny when I lived in S Californication you could go up 114 and over Tehachapi on 58 thus avoiding the Grapevine. Gosh! Has it changed that much?

In my case, I could avoid Grapevine via 58 only to have to face a very similar 6% grade-14 uphill miles at Cajon Pass. I live by the I-15.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny when I lived in S Californication you could go up 114 and over Tehachapi on 58 thus avoiding the Grapevine. Gosh! Has it changed that much?

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
My brother started out towing with a 4 Runner. He said it did OK. Struggled in the mountains. Now he has a Tundra. Does not struggle. They tow a 24 foot ultra light. Not sure of the weights.

I wonder who advised him on the match. That 24 footer is most likely already at 4,800 dry against 5,000 limit for 4runner.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother started out towing with a 4 Runner. He said it did OK. Struggled in the mountains. Now he has a Tundra. Does not struggle. They tow a 24 foot ultra light. Not sure of the weights.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have often stated that one person's, stressful, white knuckled, ride of just another days driving for the next.

Nasty crosswinds, truck bumps, mountains and a host of other worries are defined differently by each of us.

If your rig set up works for you, how it feels to me is not important.

Good luck, be safe and enjoy the ride.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos

Thanks! That's my secret of happy stress-free life and youngish looks, lol.

I no longer split-hairs and act as if I know more, after talking to the experts of those who manufactured and now maintaining my car-truck and from those for whom I got my RV.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
If the OP stated what year his 4runner is, I missed it.

But for example, looking at the 2012 4runner manual, it states on page 299, "If using a weight distributing hitch when towing, return the front axle to the same weight as before the trailer connection."

....so you are correct mister Speak, some of the specs change fron year to year.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/servicemanuals/toyota/2012-4runner.pdf

True! My own 4runner model says owner can use WD if we intend to tow above the recommended limits. Did not mention the new max though.

What year of 4runner is it ? Often a car manufacturer will state an upper limit without WD, and then a higher limit with WD.

To state that another way, Toyota might say 5000 lbs is the tow limit, but perhaps 3500 pounds just "on the ball" ( weight carrying ).

They may also state something like, "over 3000 lbs recommended to use a trailer with tandem axles". A "recommend" can likely be construed as different than a "limit".

An example for instance is like my old Nissan Frontier which states 6100 as the tow limit, but over 4500 requires WD hitch.

It's 2008 SR5 $WD. It did not state any new limits with the WD and I can guess why. It's effectively saying, going beyond 5,000 lbs maybe done "at your own risk" or now the responsibility of WD manufacturer who specified their own equipment capabilities.

Will all due respect, I think you are misunderstanding how all these "limits, recommendations, guidelines and equipment" works.

I guess all that matters is going back to the intent of your thread is that you are happy with your setup. That's nice, and I'm happy for you.
Best of luck and safe travels to you.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
gmw photos wrote:

But for example, looking at the 2012 4runner manual, it states on page 299, "If using a weight distributing hitch when towing, return the front axle to the same weight as before the trailer connection."

....so you are correct mister Speak, some of the specs change fron year to year.

True! My own 4runner model says owner can use WD if we intend to tow above the recommended limits. Did not mention the new max though.

What year of 4runner is it ? Often a car manufacturer will state an upper limit without WD, and then a higher limit with WD.

To state that another way, Toyota might say 5000 lbs is the tow limit, but perhaps 3500 pounds just "on the ball" ( weight carrying ).

They may also state something like, "over 3000 lbs recommended to use a trailer with tandem axles". A "recommend" can likely be construed as different than a "limit".

An example for instance is like my old Nissan Frontier which states 6100 as the tow limit, but over 4500 requires WD hitch.

It's 2008 SR5 $WD. It did not state any new limits with the WD and I can guess why. It's effectively saying, going beyond 5,000 lbs maybe done "at your own risk" or now the responsibility of WD manufacturer who specified their own equipment capabilities.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
gmw photos wrote:

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
daka320 wrote:
On my V6 2004 4Runner, I removed the factory hitch receiver mounted to the bumper. I replaced it with a "Hidden Hitch" received mounted to the frame. This increased the hitch weight to 600 lbs or so and increased the towing capabilities to 6300 lbs. I could also now use a weight distribution hitch to take the strain off of the overloaded rear axle.

Genius, maybe we can partner to manufacturer this and sell it in Amazon, lol.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I'm surely taking note of all of it.

But for now, a WD seems in my case a solution in search of a problem. So far the "experts' at Camping World says I don't need it and in Toyota too. In fact, I kept on hearing that I found a sweet spot for a camper-trailer and tow vehicle combo -- and I'm beginning to believe it with it's handling in 50mph crosswind at Cajon Pass in CA I-5, the steep Grapevine 6% grade up-downhill also in I-5, the buckling at the ancient wavy I-10 inside LA which I immediately able to control with slowing down and the more than 100 hair-pin curves in icy road in Highway 120/140 from Yosemite.

And yes, I don't intend to add more weight nor drive thoughtlessly with my family with me.

daka320
Explorer
Explorer
On my V6 2004 4Runner, I removed the factory hitch receiver mounted to the bumper. I replaced it with a "Hidden Hitch" received mounted to the frame. This increased the hitch weight to 600 lbs or so and increased the towing capabilities to 6300 lbs. I could also now use a weight distribution hitch to take the strain off of the overloaded rear axle.
2014 Eclipse Evolution T225
2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 4 WD

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer