cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-70 west thru Kansas City

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on using I-70 west thru Kansas city or taking I-435 around then back on 70. which is less stressful! lol Thanks
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
19 REPLIES 19

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear brooks379! We only drive around 60mph or at most 63mph so we feel blown away on interstates. If we drive without 5th wheel then we drive 75mph but pulling ,nope we take our time. Thanks again!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh 156 to 50....I used to run those roads to Dodge City and pick up meat at one of the packing plants there then head to all points west with it LA ,San Fran, San Diego, Portland or Seattle . Good two lane roads . The most traffic you should run into will be
Great Bend then between Dodge and Garden City but it is never very much traffic.....Another easy ride !

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Busskupper we have gone 36 to colorado and it is a very nice route, but we are stopping at John Martin Reservoir near Lamar Co. Planning taking hyw 156 just after Salina KS to 50. Wish 36 wasn't so far north or we would definitely take that route. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
Thoughts on using I-70 west thru Kansas city or taking I-435 around then back on 70. which is less stressful! lol Thanks

Not an answer to your question but we have enjoyed bumping North to Hannibal and RT 36 - solves the issue and IMHO is just an easier, more enjoyable, shorter drive that gets us to the Southwest.

We pick up I-70 in Colorado and wander from there.

Just one more option than many have tried and enjoyed.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you brooks379! That is great info. We weren't sure when rush hour starts, so we're planning on leaving oak Grove around 5:30am. So sounds like that will be a good time to go thru. Thanks again, Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. We r still trying to figure which route will be best choice. Maybe just go straight thru and go before rush hour in early morn. We will be staying in oak Grove for over nite so we can get up early and go thru! Thanks again, Tara

I used to stay in Oak Grove exit 28 a lot.... If you want to leave early about 6 am it is a real easy drive through KC. If you want to sleep in and leave about 9 am that is also an easy drive.

If you choose to go I 70 I670 I 70 when you go past the Chiefs and Royals stadiums on your left about a mile or two there is a big left hand curve, once past that curve get in your left lane to exit onto I 670 then keep moving to the middle or left lane until you connect back to I 70. KC was always a pretty easy city to get through.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
cliffy49 wrote:
I will be heading that way at the end of July. One of the route planners I use has me taking I435 to I29.

Is this a good way to go or should I try a different route. This is my first time in the area pulling a trailer so any help would be appreciated.

That will get you there. But I do remember a song by Super Tramp about taking the long way home...and That southern route can have its own set of traffic issues in the Overland Park area/Metcalf Road. I never liked it and would rather go through personally. I tried them all over the 14 years and in a car without a trailer, always went straight through. I had to take a pop up through a few times and it was not fun.

I'd probably follow the Truckers advice all things considered.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. We r still trying to figure which route will be best choice. Maybe just go straight thru and go before rush hour in early morn. We will be staying in oak Grove for over nite so we can get up early and go thru! Thanks again, Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE-C-USA wrote:
Ciiffy, you can also go that way to avoid downtown traffic. This would be my alternate route:
Westbound I-70 to N I-435 to Westbound MO 152. That will reconnect to Southbound I-435 then down to I-70 west. It's all 4 lane divided highway. Longer but less stressful once past Worlds of Fun.
But the I-70 to I-670 route is still more direct.

Actually, I do not have to reconnect with I70 as I am eventually going to SD for bike week. Since this is only my 2nd or 3rd time going any distance, I want to avoid larger urban areas as much as possible. I would really prefer to take US highways all the way but I really like the convenience of the interstate system just not the traffic.

Thanks for your insight, it is really appreciated.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Ciiffy, you can also go that way to avoid downtown traffic. This would be my alternate route:
Westbound I-70 to N I-435 to Westbound MO 152. That will reconnect to Southbound I-435 then down to I-70 west. It's all 4 lane divided highway. Longer but less stressful once past Worlds of Fun.
But the I-70 to I-670 route is still more direct.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be heading that way at the end of July. One of the route planners I use has me taking I435 to I29.

Is this a good way to go or should I try a different route. This is my first time in the area pulling a trailer so any help would be appreciated.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
The best way to go through KC is..... I 70 west to I 670 west back to I 70 West. Trust me after working for a trucking company out of SW Kansas and driving through KC several hundred times and going through there every way possible that is the best, easiest, fastest way to go.

Yep, what he said.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to go through KC is..... I 70 west to I 670 west back to I 70 West. Trust me after working for a trucking company out of SW Kansas and driving through KC several hundred times and going through there every way possible that is the best, easiest, fastest way to go.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck. If you are driving through, I'd google map it and drive it on street street view. There are two places where you gotta make a decision quick and the choices are not necessarily clear unless they have changed it since I lived in th area seven years ago. I'd NOT do it during rush hour morning or evening.