cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Leveling Jacks

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
I am in search of an RV electrical guru. My leveling jacks quit working and I have an obsolete leveling system (Power Plus Automatic levelers), so parts are not available.
My mechanic said "It needs a new control box" but he couldn't locate one anywhere on the internet or his usual sources.
My first question is--does anyone know of a Power+Plus model # 911001 control box that someone has on the back of a shelf somewhere?
Second question--will a different manufacturers (Lippert, Power Gear, etc) control box work with my jacks.
Third question---Can I install four separate toggle switches to run the jacks manually, and if so, how would each jack be wired?
I know there are a lot of questions, but I am trying to avoid spending $3000 plus to replace the jacks, and I am too old to crawl around placing blocks under the wheels.
I appreciate any help I can get.....Bob
8 REPLIES 8

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I made my own control panel for my older Power Gear unit. Now using a light up rocker switch for power, two smooth flush mount illuminated buttons for up and down, and more flush mount momentary buttons, one for each jack. Works better than the original as I have individual control of each jack.
My unit is different but with the right wiring, it should work as well.

I hate to be a bother but would you have a wiring diagram for your panel. I am pretty good with electrical wiring but I'm not sure what I should use for switches and relays in this application. I don't want to connect something wrong and burnup wiring, etc.
Thank you for your reply.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own control panel for my older Power Gear unit. Now using a light up rocker switch for power, two smooth flush mount illuminated buttons for up and down, and more flush mount momentary buttons, one for each jack. Works better than the original as I have individual control of each jack.
My unit is different but with the right wiring, it should work as well.

MrWizard
cracking the fiberglass has got to be very rare, IF Ever

i've had enough tires changed .. to know
they never jack up both front or both rear, to change a tire
or both on one side to change a tire

heavy duty switches is what i would do
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with toggle switches. Jacks should be operated in pairs so the body of the motor home isn't twisted causing cracks in the fiberglass.

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the response's.
I will contact some salvage yards but I am leaning toward the spring loaded toggle switches.
I am looking for a wiring diagram that will head me in the right direction. I really don't want anything to catch on fire.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is no other brand control box that will work. Your best shot is what you stated, install 4 switches. The motors on a Jack system operate with reversing the polarity. So, you need heavy duty switches. I would think a 30 amp switch for each jack would be enough, but remember the LENGTH of the 12 volt wire and the SIZE from the jack to the switch is critical. Doug

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Try one of the salvage stores in Elkhart..............

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would dump the control box, add 4 heavy duty reversing relays and 4 toggle switches. You would still have to add some bubble levels, but hey, it would work easy. The reversing relays would allow you to use unexpensive dual throw toggle switches. Depending on the amp draw for each motor you would need to size the relays to take full load current. If you really wanted to go all out, you could also add up limit switches to stop when each leg hit the limit, thus preventing damage.