cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked linoleum?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
In our 2003 Class C 30 ft. Itasca MH, a major crack in the linoleum flooring about 3 ft. long has appeared, just 1 long crack. At 1st we taped it but now it's popping up, loose about a half inch on each side of the crack and the tape isn't holding. I poked around with a knife point thinking floor rot but it feels completely solid. I really don't want to get into tearing off all the flooring and recovering. Wondering if I can work some adhesive under the loose linoleum and fasten it down with small nails or better tape while it sets up? Any thoughts or experience?
Jayco-noslide
6 REPLIES 6

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the poster and we did attempt to work (I think it was maybe tite-bond in a tube for caulking gun)) under the loose linoleum. Pressed it down with a rolling pin and now have pieces of 4 x 4 with bricks on top on it. We'll see in the morning but I think we will top of with that new 4 in. wide white tape that fixes everything. By the way that tite-bond in a calking tube was way too stiff to squeeze out and work with. I was afraid I would break the gun.
Jayco-noslide

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
That seems to be common problem in colder areas. Not sure what the solution is other than keeping the rv heated.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen over the winter (only much much more worse) while the trailer was not being used. It is a 14 year old trailer and it was never a problem until this last winter. Turns out until this last winter it was always stored on 4 wheels and a tongue jack only. This last winter it was also supported with the 4 corner jacks. Bad idea, the flexing of tires at cold temperatures caused stress changes and the flooring to self destruct. Live and learn.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you want to replace the linoleum, your idea about putting adhesive under the cracked section is about as good as you are going to get. However, don't nail it down. Your linoleum needs room for expansion and contraction. It has that now. The older it gets, the more brittle it becomes, and the cracking will only worsen. Glue it, but do not tack it back back with nails or screws.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
As the linoleum ages further it'll lose even more suppleness. Cracks will form and old ones will extend. I remember this lesson from a ship's carpenter who decked out Quicksilver. Aboard trawlers, they used to fit inch and an eighth subfloor atop 5/16" steel deck in the galley area to avoid the problem. And to think your manufacturer used top quality material would be a real eyebrow-raiser.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have some movement of the flooring/support under the linoleum which is causing the crack. I repaired a crack in my linoleum which was about an 1nch long and was caused by a Corian table top smashing onto it. First thing I did was to use a dental explorer tool to lift the cut edges up so that the white foam underside wasn't showing and then carefully applied a heavy bodied crazy glue to the crack. I then immediately wiped the top surface with a crazy glue remover so the there would be a minimal amount of shiny material from the crazy glue. Worked really well so far.