cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 / 1997 National tropical wiper delay

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 National tropical on a 1997 Ford f53 Chassis. Does anyone know where the wiper delay module is or is it in the multifunction switch? My wipers work fine at high and low speed, Park fine and the washer works great as does the emergency flashers. The only thing that doesn't work are the wiper delay functions. Can anyone help? When I turn to a wiper delay no matter how fast or slow it is supposed to be the wipers swipe once Park and then don't move again. Thank you
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.
8 REPLIES 8

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The Wiper control on a FORD chassis is a FORD system. That said, the Wiper MOTOR and ARMS/Blades are after market installed by the OEM's. The Wiper module on a Ford is behind the Brake pedal mounted on the Firewall about 1 inch up from the floor inside the RV. I would suspect the Control module. IT sends the pulse signal and is the timer to the wiper motor. Doug

Doug, I would like to thank you very much! This was indeed the problem. After locating the module and finding out that Ford wanted 350 bucks for it I found one at a local junkyard for $35, installed it and that was the problem! Once again, thank you!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The multi-function switch used in the F53's also fits many other Ford models, and is very much a Ford part. The fact that the same switch was also used in some Lincolns is just one example. There are very few operational parts that are unique to the F53, just as there are few that are unique to the F150-450 line or the various car models.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, I found the motor. It's a Denso. Have it in hand. Dunno about the module. Can't look until Monday as the MH is in getting Sumo springs and Konis installed as well as some work on the dash A.C.. This is the best info I've had so far. Can't wait to see if the module is really there! I also have a Multi-Function switch OTW. I'm really getting an education. I'll be surprised if this is Ford though. The line of demarcation between Ford parts and esoteric aftermarket is not clear.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
F4Jock wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The Wiper control on a FORD chassis is a FORD system. That said, the Wiper MOTOR and ARMS/Blades are after market installed by the OEM's. The Wiper module on a Ford is behind the Brake pedal mounted on the Firewall about 1 inch up from the floor inside the RV. I would suspect the Control module. IT sends the pulse signal and is the timer to the wiper motor. Doug

Okay. So you are saying that this module on the inside firewall is the thing that is the problem then, correct?

I would swap out the Ford module as a first. There is no way to test the Ford Module. It is either the Ford Module or the Wiper Motor and the motor will be a challenge to find. You will have to get the numbers off the motor and then do an Internet check. Doug

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. I surely will. I've also ordered a new multi switch. The problem is that there are so many differences in what they put into these motorhomes. For instance the multi switch is not for an f53 1997 but apparently for a 1997 Lincoln. Frankly, there is so much off-brand stuff in there in places I'm even wondering if that module is there but, as I said I will certainly look.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Doug said, "I would suspect the Control Module. It send the pulse signal and is the timer to the wiper motor".

You have to try it, we can't be 100 percent sure without being there and testing.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Okay. So you are saying that this module on the inside firewall is the thing that is the problem then, correct?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad