cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a cooktop range with a range/oven

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a used class A to buy but it has only a cooktop. My wife wants an oven (not just a convection) combo. A complete new stove is about $4-500 and it doesn't look like much of a job to cut out the drawers below and install a whole new unit. Has anyone done this and is it as easy as it appears it might be? Thanks
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad
21 REPLIES 21

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few years back, while traveling, we new that we would arrive in camp later than usual so we put our lasagna in the oven to cook while we continued for the final hour or so of travel.
When we got to camp, our dinner was cooked to perfection.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
This thread inspired me to try something different this past weekend at the Pocono Raceway. Funeral potatoes. I had never heard of funeral potatoes until they came up as a suggestion in a Wal*Mart ad in my Facebook feed. Apparently the ad confused a lot of people that didn't know what funeral potatoes were - there was a news article about it. I'm East coast born and raised - never heard of them. I got a recipe off of the Internet and made them the night before we left for NASCAR. I froze them and cooked them Saturday morning in the rarely-used RV oven. They came out fargin awesome. Reheated them Sunday morning too when the temperature had dropped and everyone welcomed a warm breakfast food.

So I'm liking the oven. I need to try the pizza stone idea, too.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, its easy to add the RV range. You seem to have a good handle on how to do it.

We added a oven to our old Sunrader and it was easy.

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
jbbrick wrote:
...... My wife wants an oven..........

All RV gas ovens are junk. Don't waste your money.

Are you kidding? We use ours all the time. We bake chicken, pizza, bake bread, muffins - anything.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't be without those 2 drawers! Love the convection oven. Never had one before getting the rv and have cooked with it for 7 yrs now. There isn't anything that I cannot prepare in it and food browns and crisps just like a regular oven. I sure hope she gives it a fair chance and really tries to use it.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We love our oven. Just lately we've started using it more. would be without one.
I would look for something like this with four burners.
https://www.houzz.com/product/32620884-avanti-24-gas-range-white-contemporary-gas-ranges-and-electri...
Of course you'll need the right size and color. I know there's other brands that have 4 burners and an oven.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
turbojimmy wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
DW bakes lots of great food in the RV oven, like I said before the secret is a pizza stone on the surface just above the burner.
I also make great Nachos using the Broiler under the burner.

I need to try that. I made the investment in the new range but have not explored its possibilities. The nachos sound good! So the pizza stone works to regulate the temperature? Or do you cook/bake on it?

The pizza stone eliminates the center hot spot from the center burner. We placed ours directly on the sheet metal shield above the burner. It makes the heat more even,
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I bought the rv today and took a close look at the cabinet. Really easy to take out the two drawers and spacers between them. The new stove will fit right in with practically no carpentry. The bride says she will try the conv oven for a while to see if she likes it. If not I'll get a new stove and install it. The biggest use would be having an oven while boondocking.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
It shouldn't be that bad. I replaced the non-functioning oven in my '84 Allegro with a new Atwood range (gas, of course). I got it from a scratch-n-dent seller on eBay. It had been removed from a new RV because it had a couple of scratches on it. I don't bake a lot, but I really don't see the difference between it and my residential gas oven in my house (other than size, of course). My primary use is frozen pizza, though, which doesn't seem to care too much where it gets cooked.

Anyway - there are a couple of things to consider. If the rig you're considering has an electric cooktop you're going to need to bring gas to the area. It's basically just a U-shaped cutout in the counter. They hang from the countertop and are secured to the cabinet framing on the front with wood screws. They don't go the whole way to the floor so you're going to want to fabricate some sort of drawer or cabinet underneath it. My furnace is under the range so there's a vented access door directly beneath the range.

Oh yeah, pizza don't care. I use 12 inch frozen pizza with sauce & cheese. I add pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, mushrooms, black olives, bell pepper, a little onion and some additional cheese and bake in a 14-inch Dutch oven on a piece of foil sitting on a round cooling rack inside the Dutch over to help keep from burning the bottom.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
DW bakes lots of great food in the RV oven, like I said before the secret is a pizza stone on the surface just above the burner.

I need to try that. I made the investment in the new range but have not explored its possibilities. The nachos sound good! So the pizza stone works to regulate the temperature? Or do you cook/bake on it?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
If it were me I would replace it with a 24" residential range. Lowe's and HD have them, around $800. Should give better baking performance and looks better.

I would rather cook with gas any day than electricity! That and even small apartment range is 240โ€™volts.

They come in LP and natural gas versions as well.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be that bad. I replaced the non-functioning oven in my '84 Allegro with a new Atwood range (gas, of course). I got it from a scratch-n-dent seller on eBay. It had been removed from a new RV because it had a couple of scratches on it. I don't bake a lot, but I really don't see the difference between it and my residential gas oven in my house (other than size, of course). My primary use is frozen pizza, though, which doesn't seem to care too much where it gets cooked.

Anyway - there are a couple of things to consider. If the rig you're considering has an electric cooktop you're going to need to bring gas to the area. It's basically just a U-shaped cutout in the counter. They hang from the countertop and are secured to the cabinet framing on the front with wood screws. They don't go the whole way to the floor so you're going to want to fabricate some sort of drawer or cabinet underneath it. My furnace is under the range so there's a vented access door directly beneath the range.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Halmfamily wrote:
If it were me I would replace it with a 24" residential range. Lowe's and HD have them, around $800. Should give better baking performance and looks better.

I would rather cook with gas any day than electricity! That and even small apartment range is 240โ€™volts.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian