Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Navigational Apps???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I navigate with my Ram's GPS or my phone which works fine for me, but now that I have a 5th wheel I am looking for an app that will help me to avoid routes that may have low bridges, tight streets, etc. that I would not want to drive on with a big 5th wheel.

I know one option is to get a RV specific GPS, but I would prefer to still be able to use my phone or truck GPS in conjunction with an App.

I know there are a few apps out there but they are pricey for an app so I want to get some advice before downloading one.

Any suggestions?

Can I use one of these apps on my phone and have the route project on my UConnect screen on my Ram? I have a 2018 Ram and a IPhone 7 plus.

thanks
Matt
5 REPLIES 5

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
The real problem in our experience is low hanging trees. And you'll never find those on the map.
x2. Especially annoying are the ones in a campground.

Should I ever manage or have anything to do with campground maintenance, tree-trimming will be a top priority. It just unnerves me to drive into a cg, only to be greeted with an obstacle course of branches.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
We've been travelling for decades and through 49 states with high clearance rigs, and I've never understood this demand for RV specific navigation.

It comes from the over-reliance on GPS and getting into the habit of just following the directions. People have given up on paper maps and the terrain relief they provide. The first year we RV'd, TomTom took us down a 13 percent grade in the Catskills. I have since learned to research my route and use the faster route, not the shortest route. It was a good wake up call and thank God there wasn't a 10 foot underpass at the bottom.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We've been travelling for decades and through 49 states with high clearance rigs, and I've never understood this demand for RV specific navigation. We have yet to find a route where low clearance is not well identified in advance by the road signs. Never had to stop and back up, never collided with an overpass.

All the nav apps will route major roads over minor ones if you use the default settings. Just don't switch the route method to "shortest" and you'll be fine.

The real problem in our experience is low hanging trees. And you'll never find those on the map.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on copilot , list low clearances which is why I have it and you can setup your profile for any combination you have , I use it on a iPhone it works well and the maps are stored on the phone so you donโ€™t need service just a clear shot at the sky !
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I use Copilot RV for RV specific stuff and Waze for traffic alerts etc. I also have Trucker's Path, Allstays and RV Parky for finding stuff like propane and Gas Buddy for fuel prices, although at 35 feet and towing, you can't shop for fuel by price alone. I use Google Earth to see if I can get into and out of the station.

I have an Android tablet, but I believe all these are available for IOS.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox