Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: COFFEE POT ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

 > COFFEE POT ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
RoyB

King George, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/19/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Cuisinart grind and brew coffee maker is only drawing power for about five minutes then it pours up into a thermos carafe that keeps the coffee hot for a pretty long period of time...

We camp alot off grid using the batteries so having a short time using power is important for us....

I have never looked into those K-CUPS coffee makers but they sure are popular in the various stores like WALMART... Since we have our favorite fresh ground bean coffee taste I guess we could grind our coffee beans using the MR COFFEE grinder and get to use the K-CUPs for almost instant coffee when we want it...

Probably should look into those since they seem to every where you look in the various stores.

My Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker does just fine for us camping off grid like we do...

Roy Ken
[image]

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 05/19/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

My Cuisinart grind and brew coffee maker is only drawing power for about five minutes then it pours up into a thermos carafe that keeps the coffee hot for a pretty long period of time...

We camp alot off grid using the batteries so having a short time using power is important for us....

I have never looked into those K-CUPS coffee makers but they sure are popular in the various stores like WALMART... Since we have our favorite fresh ground bean coffee taste I guess we could grind our coffee beans using the MR COFFEE grinder and get to use the K-CUPs for almost instant coffee when we want it...

Probably should look into those since they seem to every where you look in the various stores.

My Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker does just fine for us camping off grid like we do...

Roy Ken
[image]

If you do this, be careful which model you buy. I've read that some Keurigs would only take genuine K cups, and there goes the fresh grind.


Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:


If you do this, be careful which model you buy. I've read that some Keurigs would only take genuine K cups, and there goes the fresh grind.


I was browsing thru my Drs. copy of Coffee Affectionado IIRC and it didn't like Keurigs, the way they made coffee, not hot enough water and a couple of other complaints. I'd get one but you can't get half/caf pods, but could fill my own but this post scares me. how can you tell?
bumpy





Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will try stainless. Thanks. Sure a smaller pot would be alright but storage really is that limited in my rig. Just seems a larger pot should do smaller amounts. If the neck of the percolator was longer it would rest on the top. Problem solved. Poor engineering IMHO Thanks again


Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

newman fulltimer

louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2012

View Profile



Posted: 05/19/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just dont drink coffee easy cheap fix[emoticon]

OkieGene

oklahoma city

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/19/18 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the pot steel or aluminum?

If steel, go guy a handful of magnets and experiment with sticking them around the OUTSIDE until it's well balanced and of the weight you desire. Rare Earth Magnets are really strong.

If aluminum you could super glue some small decorative metal pieces to the outside. This might be a great way,

Personalize it and make it very unique and a conversation piece.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

Full Member

Joined: 03/25/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/21/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:



A 24-hour pee collection test is good to do also.


You can hold it for 24 hours??? [emoticon]


K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2016: 33
Do we have time for shortcuts?

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/21/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

Is the pot steel or aluminum?

If steel, go guy a handful of magnets and experiment with sticking them around the OUTSIDE until it's well balanced and of the weight you desire. Rare Earth Magnets are really strong.

If aluminum you could super glue some small decorative metal pieces to the outside. This might be a great way,

Personalize it and make it very unique and a conversation piece.


Magnets and heat don't always mix effectively; permanent magnets can be demagnetized by heat. The heat performance of rare earth magnets varies with their composition and grade, but some can start to have permanent effects above 80 C, below coffee making temperatures and well below gas burner temperatures.

Metals also lose their magnetic attraction quite suddenly above some temperature (the Curie point), but aren't likely to get anywhere near that making coffee. This property has some interesting applications for temperature control, in fact; typical inexpensive rice cookers know when to shut off based on the phenomenon, detecting the temperature rise when the excess water has boiled away. Metcal soldering irons also used a very clever application of the effect to maintain the proper temperature effectively and permanent calibration.





toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/21/18 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

toedtoes wrote:



A 24-hour pee collection test is good to do also.


You can hold it for 24 hours??? [emoticon]


Was the most difficult test I've ever taken... [emoticon]


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

Senior Member

Joined: 05/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/09/18 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smaller pot. Percolators in particular are designed to do full pots, much less than that they might "burn" the coffee. For small volumes of coffee, I prefer drip or filter solutions. While they might use more coffee because it is only one time through, the coffee is never reheated to boiling and the result is consistent. My wife liked Melita, brother in law likes French press.


Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

 > COFFEE POT ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS