cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of changing from Verizon

ddferreira
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Verizon for years with no major issues. Thinking of changing to Consumer Cellular just for the price. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the results? { Price , coverage etc. }

Dan
Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED towing 2010 Honda Fit with a Ready Brake tow bar/braking system. There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't! :B
29 REPLIES 29

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
bukzin wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
5Gb for $20 is OK, but I full time and use well over 50Gb/month so I need a plan that will allow substantially more data.

For heavy data users Google Fi is a good option

Better than my AT&T Mobley? $20/month for unlimited 4G?

Nope.
We are testing Google Fi with DWs phone right now. Lots of "pockets" that she has no service, but generally she loses her service a couple miles before I do, but the service has been better than expected. There have been a couple times we had to plug in the Mobley to give her wifi service.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We looked into Consumer Cellular but ended up changing our AT&T cell phones to a pre-pay, auto-pay by credit card account. We're now paying $60 per month for two phones, unlimited voice and data (throttled over 6 gb but has rollover), local calling US, Canada and Mexico.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
No, if you have the Mobley with ATT, its a even better deal. But some of us find the 'automatic time-out' a pain. It has to be re-booted every so often, at least for most users.

That Mobley plan has been pulled for a long time but I understand ATT is offering it again, as of
January 2019.

A friend uses their unlimited data plan as his only internet connection at home. He said its better than is old standard ATT service. He has it powered by a OBD to USB adaptor found on Amazon.
Watches Netflix daily with no overages charges.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukzin wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
5Gb for $20 is OK, but I full time and use well over 50Gb/month so I need a plan that will allow substantially more data.

Better than my AT&T Mobley? $20/month for unlimited 4G?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
fcooper wrote:
If you want to stay on the Verizon network, check out totalwireless.com. It runs on the verizon network, and we pay about $62 per month for two lines sharing 15GB of data. We have been very pleased with the service.

Fred
This is the same service I have had for a couple of years. No problems at all.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
If you want decent coverage stick with Verizon.
Switched from ATT after 20 years as we found so many places where ATT service was not existent or marginal.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
The T-Mobile 55+ plan is a good deal but not for us. My phone, my wife's, daughter's, son's and his fiancรฉe's phone doesn't work with that plan. We have the $40 plan, unlimited talk, text, data and that includes all taxes. You get a $10 kickback per phone if that phone uses less than 2gig of data for the month. We signed up when they offered a 20% discount so most of the time it's $22 a month per phone, sometimes $32 if a phone uses more than 2gig.

I won't say their coverage is as good as Verizon or ATT but it's been working good for us and improves every year. As far as using your T-Mobile phone as a hotspot. You're limited on the amount of data and speeds are 3g unless you add the hotspot option to the line, $10 a month. That gets you 4g data.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I am finding with T-Mobile 55+ and an AT&T Mobley as well. Now, my total bill for both services is $92/month. Compare that to Verizon and AT&T and you know that I am saving big bucks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
For those considering leaving Verizon, and want "Excellent" coverage, you might consider AT&T. I currently have unlimited data coverage on both networks.

Not much in the way of savings unless you were lucky enough to get in on the Mobley unlimited for $20.00 per month deal, but I've been traveling all over the US for the last 8 years, and while AT&T was a poor second to Verizon for most of that time, I have found them just about equal this year.

There are always going to be places where one or the other will have coverage while the other doesn't, but if you get away from the cities or major highways, both AT&T & Verizon are your only choice for reliable coverage.

We camp all over Arizona. I don't know about other areas, but in the Southwest and into CA, my wife's AT&T almost never has coverage outside of cities, while my Verizon has coverage almost without fail.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For those considering leaving Verizon, and want "Excellent" coverage, you might consider AT&T. I currently have unlimited data coverage on both networks.

Not much in the way of savings unless you were lucky enough to get in on the Mobley unlimited for $20.00 per month deal, but I've been traveling all over the US for the last 8 years, and while AT&T was a poor second to Verizon for most of that time, I have found them just about equal this year.

There are always going to be places where one or the other will have coverage while the other doesn't, but if you get away from the cities or major highways, both AT&T & Verizon are your only choice for reliable coverage.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Red Pocket unlimited data, 5GB @ 4G LTE bring your own phone. If your phone will hotspot it could be a really great deal at $20 per month.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with wife's and my Tracfone. You can bring your own phone or buy one of theirs. Same phones that Tracfone offers are cheaper on Amazon. She texts a lot and one can buy text separately. Can also buy data by the Gig. Lot's of different plans. We turn the data access off when near wifi such as home or other places. Last month I spent $5.00 buying her extra 1,000 text plan and service days continue to roll over. Straight Talk has a better plan that friends use that is unlimited talk/text and data for I believe $55.00/month. We are on the Verizon towers and have not found any areas where we lost signal except in areas known to have no signal such as Big Bend.

If you want to stay on Verizon and getting a new phone be sure it has the GSMA format.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired