cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bypassing Boston

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be traveling from Acadia NP, ME to Plymouth, MA in early July on a Monday afternoon. What will be the best route to take around Boston for less traffic and ease of travel? I-95 or I-495? We'll be pulling a 30' travel trailer.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53
11 REPLIES 11

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys; we'll be doing that leg on a Monday so maybe no worries.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for 495. Route 128 aka 95 can be awful even on weekends or non rush hour times. During rush hour I wouldn't drive it in a car. We live on the seacoast of NH and have a daughter and grandkids in Wellesley so we drive that route often.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to take into consideration Cape traffic on either route. Don't even try to head in on Friday or out on Sunday....

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
495. There's a "no propane" restriction on the tunnel.

I-95 does not go through the tunnel, just to be clear. That's I-93 and the eastern bit of I-90.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I-495 to US44 in Middleboro to Plymouth.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
495. There's a "no propane" restriction on the tunnel.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for 495.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Route I-495 is about about 20 miles longer than I-95/Rt128 from Amesbury Ma to Wareham Ma. On a weekday afternoon I-495 is a much better choice. There is on going road construction on I-95/Rt128 at Rt 9 in Needham that really can tie things up.
2X I-495 on Sunday, early Sunday afternoon. Later in the day and you will have to deal with the south bound New Hamshire and Ma. Beach traffic.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for 495 here - but we like to stay at a small air base on the north side just off the loop, anyway.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If its not too late to change your schedule, I would use 495 and do it on Sunday afternoon.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you avoid rush hour, I-95 should be okay. I-495 is quite a bit longer for that trip. If you hit rush hour, you don't really have any good options.

I-93 is not be terribly bad if it is outside of rush hour, except you can't take propane through the tunnel under the city so it's presumably out of the question.