cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caution About Buying a Car with Electronic Power Steering

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be very cautions about buying any new or newer vehicle with EPS (Electronic Power Steering) and this is in addition to what the mfg says. Dodge, Ford and GM all have reported vehicles with the "Death Wobble" which is severe front wheel oscillations.

EPS means it's electronic controlled steering without any hydraulics. A hydraulic steering system like my 2014 Grand Cherokee has a electric motor for the hydraulic pump and is not EPS. Jeep has a fix for some but not all of the vehicles with EPS and Death Wobble. The 2016 GC has EPS and Death Wobble has been reported.

You can Google Death Wobble and get a lot of information and not all of it is correct or complete.

The available Jeep fix for some models adds a switch to turn on EPS while towing. This can also drain the battery.

Just a FYI as I'm not a expert and Death Wobble is a vehicle specific problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
20 REPLIES 20

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A poster on another board posted that his Dodge dealer just called him about a fix for the Grand Cherokee wobble that is similar to the Cherokee Service Bulletin 08-022-16 fix.

Hopefully for effected Grand Cherokee owners this information is correct.

Update: Rats - Apparently it's was a part number for the Cherokee.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It turns on EPS when towing via switch on the console. Reported to be installed for free under warranty if you have the problem and your VIN is indicated.

Bob

C_and_D_Tabby
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
We tow a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. We had a Mopar wiring harness installed (at our expense) to eliminate the possibility of "death wobble". We have towed the Jeep approx. 5000 km. with no problems.

I just bought a Cherokee Overland to use a Toad in the future. I didn't know about the need for the flat tow harness. What does it actually do???

Thanks

C_and_D_Tabby
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
We tow a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. We had a Mopar wiring harness installed (at our expense) to eliminate the possibility of "death wobble". We have towed the Jeep approx. 5000 km. with no problems.

I just bought a Cherokee Overland to use a Toad in the future. I didn't know about the need for the flat tow harness. What does it actually do???

Thanks

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
The Cherokee's wobble is not the famed "death wobble" but something different. It is the front tires not tracking correctly due to the EPS, in other words not returning to center or at a different turn angle than what the MH is doing.

"Death wobble" is when the TREs and ball joints wear and the big tires extenuate the issue of the "play" in the linkage and is usually noticed due to a tire slightly unbalanced or a rough road starting the wobble like and gaining momentum.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

rbreak
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I just started towing an Equinox that is infamous for death wobble. I don't pull any fuses because I ran a charging line to the battery. I did notice that if you are in a turn and step on the gas, the wobble occurs. I think the trick is to ease out of the turns and don't put a side load on the toad.

Hello, not sure if this is common info yet or not, but the new instructions from GM on towing the equinox is to leave the fuse on the inside of the car in (fuse 32 I think) and instead pull fuse 16 from the fuse box in the engine bay. You already have the charge line which is another part of the new instructions. The fuse 16 supposedly has something to do with the steering returning to center after a turn. Might be worth a try.
2008 Winnebago Access 29T
Class C w/Ford Chassis

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I just started towing an Equinox that is infamous for death wobble. I don't pull any fuses because I ran a charging line to the battery. I did notice that if you are in a turn and step on the gas, the wobble occurs. I think the trick is to ease out of the turns and don't put a side load on the toad.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk when they first came out. Towed it all over and never had a death wobble ... ever. IMO there's a whole bunch of variables that could cause this.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Been Jeep'n now for well over 35 years and how owned, built and towed, 9 different Jeeps over all those years. Not one of them ever had the "death wobble". We've not had the pleasure of owning any electronically assisted power steering vehicles YET. The cause of the death wobble, at least on the Jeep forums has always been a debate. Suspension, shocks, poor alignment, tires, tire pressure, and a few other reasons have all been stated. About 100% of our Jeeps also have had steering stabilizers on them too which, I'm kind-a suspecting that if, there was any potential for the DW to happen on any one of ours, would have curtailed it severely. Just a guess.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
One thing I have never seen is a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA). Or in layman's terms, what things can go wrong, how likely they are to go wrong and what bad things happen when it does go wrong !

Off topic, but had to comment on FMEA as I don't think I have ever seen the term on this forum. Currently in middle of FMEA for a process at work, so it really jumped out at me.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
DW has nothing to do with whether the assist is hyd or elect. It originates in the suspension and not in the steering wheel.
It is certainly not CAUSED by eps.

I've had two vehicles with electric power assist and I like it.
Jeep owners and Chrysler would disagree for a toad. A coordinated Cherokee report effort through FMCA to Chrysler resulted in a fix which turns on EPS when towing the vehicle.

The Grand Cherokee reintroduced in 2014 with hydraulic steering does not have reported wobble. The 2016 and newer models have EPS and there is a effort for Chrysler to supply a fix.

From the reports hydraulic steering has damping that eliminates the wobble while EPS turned off while being towed does not.

My research is largely focused on my 2014 Grand Cherokee and other vehicles may/may not have the wobble.

Bob

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DW has nothing to do with whether the assist is hyd or elect. It originates in the suspension and not in the steering wheel.
It is certainly not CAUSED by eps.

I've had two vehicles with electric power assist and I like it.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Oh come on guy's, my wife just bought a new Ford Explorer Limited with EPS. Now I'm a little worried.

I know we were driving near Grand Marais MN. and the old Bounder and it that to me, hydraulic steering though.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II