cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Tour of National Parks

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of taking the Grand Tour next (2019) year. I have seen Tour Bus ads where they talk about starting in Las Vegas and going to Zion Nat Park and on to the Arches and then east to Colorado and through the Monument Vallet, Grand Canyon and other National Parks. Has anyone ever made this trip pulling a 5th wheel? Would you mind telling me about it. What routes did you follow, what issues should I be concerned with, how are the roads, and campgrounds?
8 REPLIES 8

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Time of year and amount of time you have are important considerations. It can be brutally hot in the summer in places like Moab, Arches, Capitol Reef, etc. Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon are better as they are higher elevation. But that also means they can be pretty cool in March.

One advantage of going it alone is having a little more time at each park. Great hiking in Zion, Arches, Bryce. Capitol Reef has good trails but definitely longer and a little more remote feeling. Be prepared. Some rim hiking at the GC. Unless it's springs or late fall, don't try to hike to the river and back in a day, unless you're a "he-man". Can be 30 degrees warmer at the bottom than the rim. Canyonlands has good backcountry hiking in the Needles District, not so much at Island in the Sky.

I'd try to stay in the park wherever possible. But many of the NPS CG's don't have any hookups. There are electric hookups at Watchman CG in Zion, well worth getting a reservation for. Trailer Village on the south rim of the GC has FHU sites. The CG's in Bryce don't have hookups, but the elevation means you shouldn't need the a/c anyway. We like North CG as it is just a short walk to the rim to see the sunrises and sunsets. A lot easier than having to drive somewhere to see them. Devils Garden CG in Arches is one of the most scenic NPS CG's we've ever been to. The Fruita CG in Capitol Reef is in an old orchard with mown grass. Pretty interesting setting out in the desert. Some sites get good shade from the trees. We don't care for the CG in Canyonlands - Island in the Sky. Instead, try to get a reservation for Kayenta CG at Dead Horse Point SP. There are electric hookups there and the new part of the CG has very long sites that are easy to get into.

One road that gets a lot of debate is UT 12 from Boulder UT down to Escalate. It is right of the top of a ridge, so some people find it intimidating, but many rigs much bigger than yours travel it every year. Only you know your comfort level with drop offs on the side of the road. Gorgeous drive, however.

I put together a Primer on Moab covering a lot of the basics of this area. Should keep you busy reading for a bit.

For the Colorado part of the loop, of course there's Mesa Verde NP and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There are FHU sites up at Mesa Verde that are worth getting reservations for. That way, you're already up on the mesa to do your exploring. Book your tours ahead of time for a close up look at some of the ruins. The CG at Black Canyon of the Gunnison is wonderful but only electric hook ups. Very very dark at night. One of the best places in the country to look at stars. Deer often frequent the CG.

When at Mesa Verde, don't miss the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR. Probably the most scenic train ride in the country IMHO. Takes most of the day, and you'll have a couple of hours in the real old-west mining town of Silverton for lunch, walking the wooden sidewalks, and of course shopping. We're not a big fan of touristy things, but this is one we've done several times.

Getting between Mesa Verde and Black Canyon again brings up one of those roads hotly debated on this forum. One can take US 550 from Durango through Silverton and on to Ouray (or the other direction) or for a less thrilling ride, head up CO 145 from Cortez through Telluride and then on to Ridgway. US 550 is taken by trucks and big RV's all the time, but you have to be able to deal with steep drop offs and no guardrails. If you want to see what you might encounter check out this google street view of an RV meeting a semi on a curve. But we often see 35' 5th wheels with a trailer of ATV's behind it heading this way.

Even if you take the Telluride route, make sure you drive US 550 without your 5th wheel. Surely one of the most scenic roads in the entire U.S. And the Hot Springs Pool in Ouray is one of our favorites.

If you're travelling in mid-summer, you may want to spend more time on the CO portion that the UT portion due to the heat. Whatever way you go, make sure you get reservations early if you want to stay in the parks, as some dates book within minutes of becoming available.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your Grand Tour is only for the Arizona-Utah-Colorado national parks. Is that correct? Have you been to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier before? How much time do you intend to spend on your tour?

Your 5th wheel is about the same size as ours and we specifically got that size so it would fit into most National Park and Forest Service campgrounds in the West. We have been to all the places you suggested and you will not have any problems fitting into campgrounds at those parks, but you will have to pay extra to go through the tunnel at Zion to get to Bryce Canyon. The key is to get reservations for those parks as early in the year as possible, preferably as soon as the reservation window opens.

As for routes, what route are you planning to take from Florida to the West? That will provide a starting point for route planning. In other words, there's not much point in driving all the way to Las Vegas to start the tour, when you will be much closer to New Mexico and Colorado as you travel west.

For some ideas on Colorado routes, not-to-miss sights, and campgrounds, see my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
A hitch and hop wrote:
THanks everyone for your help. I have a Streets and trip program that I can plan the route with. And will do s. After which I will ask for specific route information. I have a 26ft 5th wheel and pull average grades. Look for my repost.
If you do not already have one, I suggest you get a copy of the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
THanks everyone for your help. I have a Streets and trip program that I can plan the route with. And will do s. After which I will ask for specific route information. I have a 26ft 5th wheel and pull average grades. Look for my repost.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you want to take your 5h wheel but follow the itinerary of one of the organized tours and this can easily be done on your own. There are so many variations of what roads to take and where to stay. Give us some information on what kind of camping you want - public parks or private RV parks. How big is your 5th wheel? How much time do you have for the trip... from your home and back? What time of year?

I'd first recommend you get a map and highlight every place you want to stay. Then make a route to reach those places in a reasonable fashion. Then make a post asking about the roads you chose and if they're o.k with a RV. Each park has campgrounds and some with full hookups. For the best national park experience try to stay in the parks themselves. Each national park has a great website giving you things to do, road information, campgrounds and special alerts/issues. Read them thoroughly.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Adventure Caravans has this exact trip that takes the entire month of September starting at St. George, UT.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only several thousands a year, heh. Search here for the Grand Circle or Grand Tour and you'll find many threads about it. The tour you mention above is a very shortened version and it leaves out major parks like Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands and Capital Reef. So read up on it here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper