cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I keep my old truck?

peholden
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1994 F250, 7.5 liter gas engine with a manual transmission that I use to tow my 5th wheel. The truck is in excellent shape and looks almost new inside and out. In other words, it gets the job done.

But, I'm worried that if I have some mechanical problem on the road in some far-away place, will the Ford dealer there be able to find the parts I might need? Or, is my truck so old that I'd have to search junkyards which would obviously be nearly impossible during an interrupted trip?

Thanks, Pete
Pete KAร˜TZK
27 REPLIES 27

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would keep it serviced and drive it.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
With the cost of new vehicles today...going to save some coin rebuilding my 1996 GMT400 K3500, 7.4L Suburban with all new interior (seats, dash stuff, etc)

8 speed tranny with double OD vs stock of 4 speed and single OD....1,000 HP rated rebuilt 4L80E that has a 3 year warranty...diff ratio either 4.88's (will be 0.7 GearVenders) or 5.13's (will be 0.5 GearVenders)....etc, etc, etc

Posted on another members thread where he is noodling stuff for his rebuild or not. Hopefully he found this of interest and helpful in making up his list of stuff to do

gear ratios, page2

BenK wrote:
Similar to my nooddling plans for my 1996 7.4L K3500 Suburban. Stock is 4.1's and noodling going to something north of 4.56's. Currently think 4.88's will be it, but can't find enough info on that config's strength. IIRC, the pinion might be too small (both face sq/in and tooth root section...cantilever strength)

First, gear boxes are for a change in direction and/or torque multiplication (some times just a change in RPMs)

Here are the listed ratios for my 4L80E:

Gear Ratio
First 2.48
Second 1.48
Third 1.00
Fourth 0.75

Here is just one link to a +1,000 HP 4L80E and cost is similar to a plain Jane rebuild locally vs the 750HP version. The +1,500HP version just a couple thousand more...all warranted

Stage 2 โ€“ Warranted 750 HP...Stage 5 - Warranted +1,500HP

The Gear Venders OD noodling and is whether an 0.7 or 0.5 ratio that will split (insert itself) between each 4L80E gear. That would turn my 4L80E into an EIGHT forward gearbox and if you count the XfrCase...16 forward gear ratios...and...a lower 1st gear ratio than the 4L60E...AND...a similar to potentially higher OD final...

Here are the resultant gear ratios

Click For Full-Size Image.

Then switch from LT265/75R16E's to LT255/85R16E's for a LOWER rev's per mile and still not lose much in width...just 10mm, or 5mm each side of rim center.

Toughest part is finding a HO crate 7.4L that will pass SMOG. Most found to date are offroad and/or carberator. No Vortec to be found.

The guy who built the L88 for my Vette has passed on and no one even understands what an L88 was/is... Sure an L88 was a hot rod engine, but most of it can be for a TV...all in the cam...

Click For Full-Size Image.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
1995 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau package here. No problem getting mechanical parts...body, interior, vehicle specific, yes challenging. It sits around mostly as my tow rig now, probably won't replace it.

The hard part for me is dealing with the advancements in engine technology and transmission (gearing) seems to be light years past where we were/are. Your 7.5L/460 has 245HP and 410 ft/lbs torque. Today's smaller 6.2L has 385HP and 430 ft/lbs torque. On top of that the new 6-speed trans does a fantastic job of getting that new power to the ground.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

bnkrtstk
Explorer
Explorer
I've been driving and working on Ford Trucks for nearly 30 years and have never had trouble finding replacement parts for any of them. Keep common parts on hand if it makes you feel better. I used to carry a spare cam sensor for '95 F250 with a 7.3 diesel.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On a 25 year old vehicle even in showroom condtion, Iโ€™d be more comfortable with new soft parts, belts and hoses. Of course fresh fluids, ALL of them, and if the brake fluid is allrusty, Iโ€™d be thinking about brake system, but at a minimum flush and bleed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
So what kind of failure would you (or other folks here) expect to leave you on the side of the road? Hoses and belts are easy to inspect and replace. Are you on a first name basis with a good mechanic? Ask for advice and a good inspection of radiator, brake lines, seals, u-joints, swap out wheel bearings, service the transmission and differential as needed.

If you drive it regularly and it has been reliable I would feel fine taking it on a long trip.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's the new trucks they (any dealership) seem to have a hard time getting parts for.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah! Keep the 5speed, slap a 12valve in it, instant 2x the fuel mileage and power!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NutHouse2016
Explorer
Explorer
LMC and other places have body and interior parts, the venerable 460 is found everywhere and suspension parts also. Most "I" would do is repower it with a cummins and newer trans other than that my 97 Bounder with a 460 is still ittiner done.

blt2ski
I find parts for my 92 Navistar with out issue!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you should
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is a guy on the Ford forum that waited a full two months to get his 2016 fixed due to incompetence in the Ford parts chain. Newer ain't always better.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I have my old 93 Bronco as a "toy". Used to take trips with it but now, stopping in junkyards yields few dead Broncos for spare parts. I'd be concerned about finding stuff you need on the road. You no doubt know the places you can get stuff at home or have the luxury of waiting for something through the mail. On the road is a different story. Irritating to lose a reservation somewhere while you chase some obscure part. If you are going to travel much, I'd retire the old trooper and get something new (er) to tow with. Time for someone else to enjoy her locally.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
If you still like it, I say keep it. It's probably more reliable than the newer trucks with all the emissions stuff on them. I love that body style by the way. 93-97 ford pickups are excellent!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.