cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping World for Collision repair? General Auto body shop?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
On our way back to NJ from Fla. Pulled into a gas station yesterday I should not have in South Carolina, clearly too small for my 37' pulling our Jeep JKUR. I knew it, she knew it but we had just logged 600 miles for the day and were a few miles from stopping at our campsite. Truth be told I was a bit punchy from the long day. Anyway as we were leaving I clearly didn't negotiate the turn even close to being correct and scraped along the cement pillar that protects the pumps with the passenger side rear. It would up ripping the rear cap back pretty good but with the help of several gas station customers and a sawsall I cut the offending piece off, and was able to get back on the road. We're camping in VA now and want to know how many of us have used Camping World for collision repair as opposed to a body shop.

Thanks,

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
31 REPLIES 31

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Well I dropped the MH off at Lamon's auto body yesterday. Lets see how they do. I'll advise when done.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Bob

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I can only HIGHLY recommend a place here in MA called New England RV Collision. HE is good, he is honest and careful. The man you want to talk to is Rich and you can tell him I suggested you call him. I have had work done by them and have always been very satisfied with the work done. I know they may be moving but still near by the place he is in now.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

polestar
Explorer
Explorer
mY ADVICE GO TO "NORTH STAR AUTOMOTIVE" bETHLEHEM PA. 610-865-9646 tHIS SHOP DOES RV'S ALL THE TIME AND DID AN EXCELLENT JOB ON MY WINNY PUSHER AFTER I BACKED INTO A LIGHT POLE. PAINT MATCH WAS THE BEST i HAVE EVER SEEN.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
On our way back to NJ from Fla. Pulled into a gas station yesterday I should not have in South Carolina, clearly too small for my 37' pulling our Jeep JKUR. I knew it, she knew it but we had just logged 600 miles for the day and were a few miles from stopping at our campsite. Truth be told I was a bit punchy from the long day. Anyway as we were leaving I clearly didn't negotiate the turn even close to being correct and scraped along the cement pillar that protects the pumps with the passenger side rear. It would up ripping the rear cap back pretty good but with the help of several gas station customers and a sawsall I cut the offending piece off, and was able to get back on the road. We're camping in VA now and want to know how many of us have used Camping World for collision repair as opposed to a body shop.

Thanks,

Bob

I thought they had their own body shop.
At any rate, it's a darn good place for getting a sky high estimate for an insurance company check, before getting the work done at Mom and Pop's for half the amount. I mean, one's gotta make something for all their time and effort.
In fact, after once using them, I was able to fix it all myself and did appreciate earning their kind of hourly rates.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance adjuster came over today and I must say he could not be nicer. Good dude. He recommended a place in Mt. Holly, "Lamond auto body". He said they specialize in RV's, Tractor Trailer's and buses. Made an appointment for next Wednesday. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help

Bob

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You are from NJ..get there...then call RISCO coach in Atlantic Highlands area..he knows what he is doing and it will be done right and your insurance company can work with him. I wish you near the OBX as there is a place called Atlantic Fiberglas which does RV's and Boats..he also knows what he is doing.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Camping World for a passenger side mirror that had come off because of a leak. They removed the fiberglass and fixed the mirror. The paint was essentially spray paint and peeled off rather easily from the repaired fiberglass after the work was done. The icing on the cake for me, was when my door lock failed and they destroyed my door and frame trying to get the door opened. Then they tried to return my coach to me without repairing the disaster they created. I had to file a claim with my insurance for the damage they created and they, in turn somewhat corrected. The door and frame never closed properly again after they damaged it. A good body repair shop, more than likely would have been able to correct that. I know that every Camping World repair facility is different, but I have two within a 50 mile radius of where I live, and I have had a lousy experience at both of them. Consumer beware of the Camping World repair facilities. This is just my experience and opinion though.
Mark

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
mmccray100 wrote:
I used Camping World in the Portland, Oregon area when I backed into my own car. Nothing major, just some scrapes and dents on the rear curb side. Camping World did a good job.
This does not mean I would use them for anything else. I've had bad experience with their mechanical service and would never again use them for that.

i have had some fairly major body work done on a previous mh at the troutdale (portland) camping world and coudn't have been happier

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Give our hosts an opportunity for your business.

Why with all the stories about CW on here are you, midnightsadie, on their...their as in CW’s...forum?

So apparently you feel that because CW hosts this forum we should just throw our money at them or not go on a PUBLIC forum? I think you have it backwards, first CW has to earn my trust, which they haven't so far, before I will risk a large amount of money on them.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I had great results from Wayside Body Shop in Denton, MD. also check www.rvservicereviews.com
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Try a big truck body shop. I took our 5er there once when the awning guy drilled the wrong hole pattern on my new trailer, and they did a fair job with the gelcoat - not great - but fair. At least they weren't Camping World.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World would not be my first choice of somewhere to have body work completed. Beyond that most RV dealers would not be my first choice. Only because my experience suggests that body repair is a small part of their overall repair business, thus they are not the best choice.

In some parts of the country finding capable shops with a building large enough to accommodate an RV is problematic.

I would seek out a commercial truck/bus body shop and expect them to be more than capable to repair an RV. Previous posters suggested seeking suggestions from your insurance agent, and I would go even further and suggest asking the company's adjuster for suggestions. Usually the adjuster works for numerous insurers and is more likely to give good advice. You may get several suggestions as they deal with most shops in a fairly large area today. Once you have a few suggestions it is simple to check out some of their work from previous customers if you feel the need. Sometimes just looking at a shop's facility is enough to make you feel comfortable with their potential for satisfactory work.

Whatever you decide, best wishes for a positive outcome.

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the informative replies. I figured camping world only because they deal strictly with campers but honestly mechanically I've had several problems with them over the years. No Camping World for our RV repair. Gonna start calling around tomorrow.

Thanks again

Bob

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Ask your RV insurance agent I'm sure your not the first customer he's had that needed a repair.

In Ca. the insurance agent is not allowed to recommend a body shop but Ca. is sorta nutty and that might not be true in other states. I thought I was the only one dumb enough to back into his own vehicle.:W
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !