cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad Suggestions

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at my options for a replacement toad for flat towing. Currently I have a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country which I pull with a dolly. It is cost prohibitive for me to do what I need in the Chrysler...namely the required oil pump. I have looked for used ones but haven't located one. I understand that I will need tow bars/plate, brakes and perhaps a driveshaft disconnect. Also, the Chrysler is starting to rust more and quite fast! Not that it can't happen with something else....

I am interested in looking at toad options as follows:

1) Must seat 4 people comfortably and have cargo space
2) Don't want to have to do much or very little modifications
3) must weigh under 4000 pounds
4) Looking at late model vehicles (2000 ~ 2010 range)
5) Not stuck on type of vehicle so cars, trucks, suvs can all be considered.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose
29 REPLIES 29

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Our first tow vehicle was a 2007 Honda CR-V and then we traded for a 2013 CR-V. Both were excellent tow vehicles and both AWD. I had the M & G on the first one and the Air-Force-One on the second.

When I wanted a new tow vehicle, Honda's that are 2015 and newer are not towable. So, I decided on the Lincoln MKX AWD. I had the Air-Forced-One installed.

Originally, I chose the Honda CR-V because it was higher off of the ground than a sedan. We don't off road so the clearance was fine for us. If we were to straddle an object going down the interstate, I didn't want it to get 'hung-up' on a lower sitting vehicle like a sedan, hence the small SUV has a higher stance.

And, I have seen a lot of 'stuff' on the roadway. It's amazing what we have had to dodge. LOL!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
All of the Chevrolet HHR's can be flat towed with automatic transmission. No modifications needed.

I agree I flat towed an HHR for 45,000 miles no problems I liked the old one so much that I just found an 2011 with 50,000 miles on it that I am now towing.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

becker
Explorer
Explorer
I can speak to the 08 CRV and 2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr as we have towed both vehicles and presently towing the Jeep. The CRV is a great towing vehicle (light and good milege).... we towed over 50,000 miles with no problems..... the only negative (if this is a negative where you are concerned) is that it's low to the ground and restricted us when we were sightseeing away from our base camp (within 200 miles) and on back roads which we love to travel.... we did a good bit of research and elected to go with the Jeep.... it's high off the ground, excellent sightseeing vehicle, 4-wheel drive (when we want it), pulls as well (maybe better) than the CRV, at 50,000 miles we put one size larger Michelins on it and it rides great, have no cons where it is concerned.
We bit the bullet and put a M&G Braking System on it (and we are super happy we did), when I put on the air brakes in the coach, it puts on the brakes in the Jeep (this is very reassuring).... when we get ready to go on the road, we hook up and we plug in the air hose, the DC connection, put the Jeep in neutral and away we go. We only looked at two braking systems (this was very important to us).... M&G and Air Force (both are excellent but not cheap).... we had the M&G system on the CRV also.... I almost forgot.... we have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System hookup.... sorry to be so wordy but I am returning the favor to the people who gave us great insight when we first started out years, and years ago.... Good Luck.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
As previously noted, Jeeps. . . . if you are driving a big Class A, you are already limited to parking lots for camping. A 2WD is going to severely limit where you can go when you get there. I can't imagine going to CO, MT, UT, WA,OR etc. and NOT being able to go into the mountains. 4WD will expand your horizons beyond the tourist traps.

I agree with the above except for having a big Class A and being limited to parking lots for camping.

90% of our 16 years of full-timing was done by staying in public parks of all kinds and extensive boondocking along gravel roads with our 40' motorhome. Absolutely no damage to the motorhome.

For going even farther a 4x4 is higher recommended for added enjoyment.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
So many excellent suggestions and great advice! I really appreciate the input!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
2008-2017 JKU Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is a 4 dr. Love mine and it has an amazing amount of cargo space in the back. The sport will come in at 4075 lbs. Additional trim models slightly higher (mine is 4,300 lbs).

The Wrangler can be easily towed with automatic or manual - no modifications required. Tow bar and base plate, wiring kit, and auxiliary brake system.

The 2008-2011 can be had reasonably if you negotiate. They had an under powered engine and temperamental automatic transmission, but there are tons out there still chugging along. The 2012-2017 had a smaller, yet more powerful engine and improved automatic transmission. The 2018 (mid year) is a new critter, JL series with many improvements, but priced like a BMW.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
If you prefer a sedan, I would recommend Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu. The Accords of this age bracket are not 4-down towable per the manual. I never could understand this. Mine has 180k driving and 80k being towed.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honda CRV through 2014. In 2015 the tranny was changed and it can't be flat towed.

After you review the owners manual, towing guides and Remco then do a detailed search for the vehicle of interest to learn of others experiences. Not all vehicles can be towed problem free as indicated in the documentation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Google: Motorhome Toad list and you can go back to 2010 and earlier to look at what may be towed 4 wheels down.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda CRV must be a 2014 or OLDER! The 2015's and up are not towable,because they have the new CVT transmission.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
As previously noted, Jeeps. I am still two years,three months, 10 days and about 18 hours from that kind of life, but have still researched, not that I am in a hurry or anything but, if you are driving a big Class A, you are already limited to parking lots for camping. A 2WD is going to severely limit where you can go when you get there. I can't imagine going to CO, MT, UT, WA,OR etc. and NOT being able to go into the mountains. 4WD will expand your horizons beyond the tourist traps. I live in MT now and my 4WD pickup set up for light off-roading is so much fun. I think of like Moab UT and if you don't have 4WD, you will miss about 70% of the potential fun you can have over a week or so. There are a lot of places like that in Colorado also and most mountain states.

Go look up Moonflower Road in Moab and take it beyond the pavement or any number of places along 70 in Colorado or the four corners area or even the frontage road along I-15 in between Butte and Helena MT or the road from I-15 from Bernice MT over to I-90 or Tizer lakes in the Elkhorns south of Helena MT and on and on and on...

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
We had very good luck with a 2010 Chev Malibu, an just moved to a 2015, although do not have it set up yet. We towed it over 50k and drove it another 108k and it never seen the inside of a repair shop. Hope this might help, Happy trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lfeather wrote:
FMCA has a complete listing of all towables and nontowables. Larry, 2014 Reyo P

but confirm in the owner's manual
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Equinox

X2. Great toad and half the price of a Jeep or CR-V of the same year.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox