cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do most CGs allow large breed dogs? German Shepherd

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I looking at buying first travel trailer. Kids are three and five. Weekend trips in Smokies of NC and VA main usage, along with a 10-14 day national parks type trip each summer. We have a three year old german shepherd and are giving pause to buying camper. Mainly curious how to safely keep dog in congested campground. We live on 7 acres in rural area so he has never been confined, on leash, and such. Also wondering if most campgrounds allow large dogs. Figured now a better time to ask than latter. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't read the whole thread. But feel passionate about some misconceptions.

We have an 11 year old German Shepherd that has camped with us a hundred times. She has never been turned away. We are responsible owners that use common sense and respect others. Our girl has brought joy to most campgrounds and has never caused a problem. However, twice she has been jumped by other "friendly breeds" that weren't on leashes. Both time, she was laying quietly on the end of her leash.

Maybe this hasn't been the intention or tone of the thread, but it is frustrating to see so many other breeds that get away with being unruly.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you never take your dog to places where you want to take your dog, your dog will never learn how to be in those places.

First, identify the potential issues you may face. You know walking on a leash is one. How is the dog with strangers? How about small animals? Is it a barker over everything?

Once you've identified the potential issues, it's time to find solutions. The leash is easy - get thee to an obedience training course. Practice at home. In no time at all, your dog will understand the leash and so will you. Barking - try a water bottle to squirt the dog. The nice thing about shepherds is that they are eager to please - often a tone of voice is enough to convey displeasure and the dog will learn.

So now you've identified potential issues and determined action plans to retrain the dog's behavior. Now it's time to put it into practice.

Start by getting the dog used to the trailer. Have special "trailer only" treats and toys - the dog only gets these when it's in the trailer. Do overnight "driveway" campouts to get the dog used to sleeping in the trailer and used to nighttime sounds. Teach the dog that the trailer is a fun place.

Start camping small. A simple 2 night stay at a local campground. Choose NFS, BLM, COE, and reclamation campgrounds. These are usually the most dog friendly. Take your dog hiking on leash during the day. Do a walk through of the campground with the dog. Watch to see how it reacts to different things. If you see an issue, work out a way to fix it.

Don't be afraid to tell others about an issue. My Bat-dog has people fear issues. I let folks know that up front. I give them some guidelines "don't look her in the eyes, let her come to you, and don't lean over her". Most people take compassion and will go the extra mile to reinforce that people are not going to hurt her. This has changed her from a dog who wouldn't let a stranger come within 3ft of her, to a dog who can accept scratches and pets from most people (food will increase the odds greatly). Whatever the issue, just show people that you are trying to resolve it and they will be understanding (well, except a few folks).

During your first few trips, you'll gain a much better understanding of how your dog takes to it. You may find that the dog gets cranky after a day or two - that often happens due to over stimulation. If so, keep to 2 night trips until that eases. Then go to 3 or 4 night trips. The more you camp, the quicker the dog will adjust.

A final thought: I rescued a 3yr old akita. He had spent his entire life in a kennel in a backyard. He had never been on a leash. He had never seen a river, lake, flower, grass. He was fearful of men. When he came home with me, I started taking him hiking and for trips to the local park. Like Ferdinand, he loved to sit and smell the flowers. He loved to wade in the river and get his feet wet. He went camping with us and never had a problem. Had I taken the advice given by some here, he would have been confined to a backyard and never experienced any of these things he loved so well.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
Just because a dog lives on 10 acres doesn't mean it's not trained. From owning GS dogs I know how smart they are and eager to please.

Well, yes. Obviously how much (or little) land a dog has available to it doesn't tell us anything about the dog's level of training. That's not the relevant part of the original post. What is relevant is that the poster states that the dog has never been on a leash. That's a problem right off the bat, since as far as I'm aware there's no campground anywhere that doesn't have a leash requirement. A three year old dog who's never been on a leash--and therefore we can assume has received little in the way of socialization in different environments/locations or out in public--is not a dog who is going to have any familiarity with being in an environment like a campground (lots of people around, various noises, other dogs, etc.).

I don't like stereotyping dogs (or people!) but I agree that in general most GSDs are smart and eager to please. That still doesn't mean getting this one trained and socialized enough to be able to handle a campground environment and be a pleasure for them to have with them--and to not be a nuisance to their campground neighbors-- will be a quick or easy task.

Certainly it can be done. But it's unlikely the OP is going to get a camper and then just snap a collar and leash on this dog, take off and have a fun first trip w/o some significant training and socialization first.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Just because a dog lives on 10 acres doesn't mean it's not trained. From owning GS dogs I know how smart they are and eager to please. I think the problem is general misconceptions about some dogs. I have 2 Springer Spaniels on 6 acres and just get the kids to dog sit, I think the dogs and us have more fun that way.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
State/National/COE.......YES

SOME Public CGs...German Shepherd would be on the 'banned breed' list that Insurance Underwriters use.

Plus some public CGs could also have a 'weight' limit/restriction

BUT one COMMON theme.........MUST BE ON A LEASH (6' length max)
Can NOT be tied up and UNATTENDED when outside the RV

So start LEASH training the dog.

And CALL the CGs you plan on visiting and check their 'Pet Policy/Rules'
(which should also be listed on their website)

All of this is correct except substitute the word "private" when he posts "public campgrounds".

Depends on what one considers public vs private

Private to me is 'membership' park...not open to the general public
Public to me is KOA, Lazy Shores RV Park etc ....open to general public

Public refers to public or government ownership. Private refers to private ownership. Parks not owned by a government entity.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

SOME Public CGs...German Shepherd would be on the 'banned breed' list that Insurance Underwriters use.

All of this is correct except substitute the word "private" when he posts "public campgrounds".

Depends on what one considers public vs private

Private to me is 'membership' park...not open to the general public
Public to me is KOA, Lazy Shores RV Park etc ....open to general public
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Not correct on national parks ie: Yellowstone

Pets are not allowed on trails or boardwalks, in the backcountry, or in thermal areas.

Therefor the dog would have to be in the car or at camp

The general statement is correct. Dogs are allowed in National Parks, but the amount of their access can be very limited and varies park to park. I volunteered in a National Park that allowed dogs everywhere except the buildings, while a few parks don't want them out of the vehicle.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If he gets along with people and other animals then you simply have to get him adjusted to being on leach. Normally not a problem. If he doesn't get along with people and other animals then leave him home.
Kevin

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
the OP is out of luck with an adult dog, has to be initiated and done when they are young (ours is 9 now).

No, not at all.

As someone who has been actively involved in rescue for over three decades and has worked with innumerable adult dogs-- they're all trainable. It can be a little harder to get an adult dog out of an ingrained bad habit than it is to prevent a bad habit from ever developing in a puppy. But I've yet to meet the adult dog who wasn't trainable.

And BTW--I had a lab/chow mix many years ago. She came to me an adult, pregnant, starved and abused (with both fresh wounds and old scars to prove it), and extremely fearful of men. It took a long time, but with the help of my now husband and a kind male neighbor she got completely over her fear of men and we were able to turn her into a confident, outgoing, "bomb proof" dog. She was a really fabulous dog, one of my favorites.

Maybe I should have posted not in a short time frame (as in going camping in a month) and wanting a mannerly dog, not going to happen.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Not correct on national parks ie: Yellowstone

Pets are not allowed on trails or boardwalks, in the backcountry, or in thermal areas.

Therefor the dog would have to be in the car or at camp
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
the OP is out of luck with an adult dog, has to be initiated and done when they are young (ours is 9 now).

No, not at all.

As someone who has been actively involved in rescue for over three decades and has worked with innumerable adult dogs-- they're all trainable. It can be a little harder to get an adult dog out of an ingrained bad habit than it is to prevent a bad habit from ever developing in a puppy. But I've yet to meet the adult dog who wasn't trainable.

And BTW--I had a lab/chow mix many years ago. She came to me an adult, pregnant, starved and abused (with both fresh wounds and old scars to prove it), and extremely fearful of men. It took a long time, but with the help of my now husband and a kind male neighbor she got completely over her fear of men and we were able to turn her into a confident, outgoing, "bomb proof" dog. She was a really fabulous dog, one of my favorites.
Every word of this. I work with rescued bully breeds, they are all trainable. Bizmark was 8 when I adopted him - he's calm, fully trained, and goes everywhere I do.

OP, my dogs are on the restricted breed list, and I camp with them regularly. State parks and forest service sites are no problem. If I'm going to stop at a private campground, I call ahead to make sure my dogs are allowed.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Doberman. 95% of the parks allow him . Only a couple have restrictions.
Any dog can be trained to camp. Just because the dog is accustomed to running free does not mean he cannot be taught to walk on a leash.
My dog camps on friends property where he is off leash the entire time and interacts with everyone there.
He can also go to a tight site KOA type environment and stay on leash the entire time. A well trained dog can adapt to the situation and follow commands.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Pawz4me wrote:
A three year old dog with no training? And therefore I'm assuming nothing in the way of socialization--the dog isn't used to being out among numerous people in different places? You're going to need to do a LOT of training before taking a dog like that RV'ing. A LOT.

I don't see that dog being in ANY campground at ANYTIME. We are also in that boat but a different set of circumstances.

We live on a farm (170 acres), the house and yard is 10 and we have a large (100 pound Lab/chow mix who looks nasty but is a big baby. He's very obedient, house broken, leash trained, sits, heels, gives you his paw, lays down on command (took a lot of training when he was a puppy), the OP is out of luck with an adult dog, has to be initiated and done when they are young (ours is 9 now).

We are still concerned because of his size and appearance, so I'm sure it will be interesting, First year for us taking an extended trip. Usually do overnight stuff to our own property in the woods.

WOW! JUST WOW! All of this is so far off base, filled with assumptions and obvious lack of knowledge of dogs as a species and individuals that the only thing I can say is ignore every bit of it.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote: