cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Colored Truck Camper

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Would be scratching my head why this is a newsworthy item. In the latest Truck Camper magazine
22 REPLIES 22

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Solar gain! Get that thing heated up during the day so you won't need to run the furnace at night. Better yet, color the roof too. Just don't camp anywhere in the summer where there's no hookup to run your AC, and leave your animals home.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Even Camper Trailers are far larger in the RV market here. This is Track Trailers showroom and factory. A very โ€œ Green โ€œ operation

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I can see that with production units (color issues) but Four Wheel Campers are basically custom ordered units and the ones that aren't are white... I believe the same applies to Capri. All their units are built to specification.

Big issue I see (with a custom color) is paint match down the road. I read about that (on here and elsewhere) with full body paint motor homes.

Interesting so many custom builders in the US. Virtually all of the Australian ones are Custom builders, except the Millard. Then again TCโ€™s are a pretty small part of the Off Road industry

In reality they are here as well. Don't know for sure but I'd guess less than 10% of total RV sales here are TC's.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I can see that with production units (color issues) but Four Wheel Campers are basically custom ordered units and the ones that aren't are white... I believe the same applies to Capri. All their units are built to specification.

Big issue I see (with a custom color) is paint match down the road. I read about that (on here and elsewhere) with full body paint motor homes.

Interesting so many custom builders in the US. Virtually all of the Australian ones are Custom builders, except the Millard. Then again TCโ€™s are a pretty small part of the Off Road industry

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had the "ghost stripes" lol. My truck has blue pinstripes, so I threw some blue painter's tape over the camper's ghost stripes just to look better on a road trip a couple years ago. It's still on there.

Color matching a camper to the truck with striping tape is a practical solution, it's cheap and easy to change.
I kinda' scratch my head over people with something like a blue truck and a camper with brown and green stripes... I mean, that looks terrible and it's SO easy to repaint or just use striping tape and fix the stripes!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I often dream of having a nice new truck with cool paint and just vinyl wrapping a TC to match. Very easily done. Could be done at home or not too pricey at a vinyl wrap shop.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog scratch your head over this. Tow Vehicle has done 133,000k ( 82,000miles)Couple have owned this 2011 model CrossRoads 5th Wheeler( top photo) since new. Tow Vehicle is used for Truck Campers and Expedition Vehicles here.

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
After purchasing a Camplite 10', which was charcoal grey with an aluminum roof, we found that the darker color was not a blessing when we were in a campsite in direct sunlight. Aluminum skin and frame conducted the heat in, more than the AC could handle. 3 coats of State-cool on the roof, a 10' awning, putting silver wrap, about 60 sq.ft. of the back wall, and changing the internal thermostat minimum on adjuster (the thermostat for the knob thermostat) allowed our AC to stay on longer. I think that a lot of AC manufacturers can say that their products are more energy efficient by having them on for a shorter time. We do like the dark color, but learned the side effects in a hurry, but you can manage.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Lucky thing you're in Australia, Robert. In the USA we haven't been able to say the word, "Colored" for decades, it isn't PC. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding.

Thought I was being American ๐Ÿ™‚ normally Coloured in Australia l. I get your drift in the rest of the post

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
That's ok Robert. A lot of things you produce make some of us scratch our heads too! Lol

IMO, it's about time mfgs start producing TCs that aren't "camper white". There are a few, but more the merrier.
If I had the time, I'd wrap our camper to match or compliment the truck as well as cover the ghost stripes from the crusty old decals that need to come off and the oxidized front cap that's looking a little faded.
Other side of the coin, white universally doesn't clash with other colors and is the coolest color in the hot sun.

Well it is the same here. Very few US products get traction here.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I wrote a comment to Angela about it. When I bought mine I wanted to contrast my white truck with the camper, so my camper is not white, it's grey with black graphics (my truck has a black pinstripe and out farm name is in black lettering on both side doors).

My personal feeling is a red body camper is a bit obtuse but if that floats your boat, so be it.

I find white TC's to be dull, just me I guess. but red, no way. There is another custom builder out of Texas that builds them in various colors but I cannot think of the name..... Just came to me... Capri Campers.

I communicate with Angela a fair bit, she is pretty interested in what is happening here ( A Millard TC is listed on the Truck Campers magazines History site although the updated version is still be built. It had its 50th anniversary this year)
Internal view of a new producer of TCโ€™s here

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky thing you're in Australia, Robert. In the USA we haven't been able to say the word, "Colored" for decades, it isn't PC. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's ok Robert. A lot of things you produce make some of us scratch our heads too! Lol
IMO, it's about time mfgs start producing TCs that aren't "camper white". There are a few, but more the merrier.
If I had the time, I'd wrap our camper to match or compliment the truck as well as cover the ghost stripes from the crusty old decals that need to come off and the oxidized front cap that's looking a little faded.
Other side of the coin, white universally doesn't clash with other colors and is the coolest color in the hot sun.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold