cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-80 from Lincoln, NE to Salt Lake City

rving_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling from the St. Louis area to Salt Lake City (SLC) and back late June and early Jul. Has anyone on here been on I-80 from Lincoln to SLC recently? If so, what is the condition of the road? I just returned from a trip in the other direction and I-70/80/90 in Indiana were terrible.
7 REPLIES 7

dedmiston
Two of our kids went to college in Wyoming and the I-80 drive always surprised me by how long and boring it was. Most of the north/south routes in the state were stunningly gorgeous, but that I-80 corridor is just a whole lot of nothing and it seems to stretch out forever.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rving_eagle wrote:
I will be traveling from the St. Louis area to Salt Lake City (SLC) and back late June and early Jul. Has anyone on here been on I-80 from Lincoln to SLC recently? If so, what is the condition of the road? I just returned from a trip in the other direction and I-70/80/90 in Indiana were terrible.

Have you thought about getting to Hannibal and taking RT 36 out to I-70 in Colorado?

A good while ago we were making many trips out West and discovered the RT 36 Option, we have never gone back to the I's when we are headed out to the fly over states, West of the Mississippi, unless necessary to get to our destination.

Seems as if the states are all waiting on the Feds to pay to have the I's repaired so they just continue to get beaten to death, by the heavy truck traffic.

Just one more option.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rving_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
We were on it in 2016.Nebraska was mostly ok. The western end they were doing some road work which should be done by now. Wyoming was good. If going from St Louis, you might consider taking Missouri 36. Good 4 lane road. Then 29 to 80. But we took a short cut off I29 at Nebraska City. I believe it was Rt6.It cuts a number of miles off the trip.

Thanks for your response. I have driven the route several times before, but hadn't heard any recent updates about highway conditions. We just returned from a trip to Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan. I-70 and I-80/90 in Indiana and I-196 in Michigan were terrible. The locals all said the harsh winter wreaked havoc on their heavily travelled roads. I was curious if I-80 across NE, WY, and UT had the same problem. I also usually cross the Missouri River at Nebraska City and take Rt. 2 to Lincoln. It is good road and does cut several miles off. I used to live in Hastings, NE and travelled US Hwy 6 frequently from Hastings to Sutton, then cut north to I-80 to travel on to Lincoln or Omaha.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were on it in 2016.Nebraska was mostly ok. The western end they were doing some road work which should be done by now. Wyoming was good. If going from St Louis, you might consider taking Missouri 36. Good 4 lane road. Then 29 to 80. But we took a short cut off I29 at Nebraska City. I believe it was Rt6.It cuts a number of miles off the trip.

rving_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
rving_eagle wrote:

There's another post in this section, inquiring about I-80 across WY/NE/IA. ***Link Removed*** is a link to check for up to date conditions. This is primarily for weather information.
***Link Removed*** is the link for constuction projects going on along I-80. Notably, in the Cheyenne to Laramie area, there are some projects scheduled or under way for that stretch.

Thanks for the links. I had not noticed the other post.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
When crossing Wyoming, be prepared for constant head winds and changing weather. Fuel stops are about 50 miles apart so plan accordingly. Other than that, sit back and count antelope.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
rving_eagle wrote:

There's another post in this section, inquiring about I-80 across WY/NE/IA. H E R E - I-80 Wyoming is a link to check for up to date conditions. This is primarily for weather information.
H E R E - I-80 Construction is the link for constuction projects going on along I-80. Notably, in the Cheyenne to Laramie area, there are some projects scheduled or under way for that stretch.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.