cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with a pet

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first year we will be traveling with our Basset Hound along. She can't stay home alone.

What do you do with a pet when you go out to eat, want to see things that take a couple of hours or more, or just need to get out of the trailer for a while?

Thanks for your help...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
31 REPLIES 31

farmer_s_daught
Explorer
Explorer
I don't take my dog camping. She is almost 9, a black lab. She's used to being at home, going out in the backyard to do her 'business' and our daily routine. She's only on a leash when I take her to the vet. Two years ago I rented a space at a resort for a month, and took her up for 4 days. Campground rules required that all dogs be tied up or on a leash at all times (except when swimming in the lake). Stormy wasn't used to being on a long chain. She wasn't used to being walked down to a field to go to the bathroom. In 4 days she refused to poop! So now I leave her at home, where she's happy and contented. My adult kids stop by the house to feed her, give her a bit of attention, and let her out (they live down the street). She's happy and I don't have to worry about her.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just returned 6/1 from a fishing trip with my Border Collie. We had lots of wind and hard frost. She likes going fishing on the boat and sleeping in a tent. Plenty of walks and stick chasing. She is charge of camp security and lets me know of approaching strangers, deer and bears.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Our two greyhounds travel with us and are good campers. They enjoy the walks, love the attention from other campers and are content to sleep with the a/c and television to keep them company while we are out. They get very excited, jumping, not barking, when we return if only a run to the grocery, or 4 hours sight seeing. They immediately are taken for one of the many walks they get to take while we are camping. At home it is open the door and let them go in the fenced in back yard. I do like the campgrounds that have fenced in dog parks. We will take our two when no one else is there and let them run off the extra energy.

My fear is our upcoming fall trip to the south west. We stayed once, before we added a power surge protector, at a campground with unreliable power. I am now in fear of coming back to an over heated camper.

Anyone have reliable aps or product to alert of of temperature changes?
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
We leave the dog in the RV at the CG with the heat or A/C on. Our dog is content in the RV alone.
He stays in our stix and brix home alone all day while we work, and has no problem staying in the RV all day while we are out.
X-2, stick & brick, or RV, what's the diff, if someone knocks on the door he might bark.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
maddog348 wrote:
Quick Question ~~ Do you take dog to 'sitter' ?? OR invite 'sitter' into your RV???
I'd like to know this too, I'm not real warm & fuzzy about giving a stranger the keys to my MH. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip, you will love Maine. It is the most dog friendly state we have ever been to.
LUVRVN

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing works as well as a long walk before you leave. Tired dogs tend to be good dogs. We've left ours for several hours; arrived back at the RV only to find them still sacked-out in our bed.....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our little one in the RV. We have a camera set up so we can watch her. Just like we do when we are in our stick and brick home.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
NIL (next in line)

Great thread!

Wife and I are new forum members and have adopted 2 pups needing a good home. We camp mostly remote national forest, self contained, so the dogs are no problem. Except for bears, cats and wolves...

Weโ€™re working through the โ€œtrainingโ€, getting ready for rv park overnights and I see a couple of good tips here.

Thanks!

Rich
Wyoming
Dodge 2500 Cummins
Coleman TT
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Where we winter in Florida, our 5th wheel,is our home. We go shopping, go out to eat, go to the movies, do,laundry, etc., our dog waits patiently on our bed for us, just as she does at our S&B home. (Our fellow dog owner campers do the same. ) She doesn't bark or whine or misbehave, she just waits. If it's really hot and we have a power outage, (happened once) our neighbor sent us a text to let us know and we came back. Been doing this for a few years now.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
azrving wrote:
You leave them in the RV and hope that they don't bark which will cause the park manager to call you.

Not really great advise. Even if the park manager doesn't get involved, the dog, especially a howler like a Basset Hound, may be making quite a bit of noise. Plus it's not fair to the dog.

Ok. So never leave them in the RV? What if they do leave them and they don't happen to bark or they don't bark at the things around them in that particular park. Do you suggest a kennel every time they leave the RV.

If the dog barks and annoys others then yes, either kennel the dog or leave it home. If it doesn't bark (and be realistic here) and it is content being alone then fine, let it stay in the rv. The op stated the dog barks to the point she forewarned the neighbors. It should not be left alone or she should kennel it.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
We leave the dog in the RV at the CG with the heat or A/C on. Our dog is content in the RV alone.
He stays in our stix and brix home alone all day while we work, and has no problem staying in the RV all day while we are out.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
real nice...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with LadyRVer!

Our dogs are part of our family and they go everywhere with us. That means, sometimes, one of us stays behind while the the other goes to the grocery store, but that's just the way it is.

When traveling, we choose restaurants where we can eat outside and the dogs are welcome to sit with us. Just last week-end, we were returning home. We stopped at a Hardees. I pulled into a spot away from everything, pulled out the awning, got 4 smaller lawn chairs out, our quick and easy folding table and set it all up. Dogs stayed with me while the wife went inside and got our order (even some plane burgers for the dogs).

She came out, I was set up and we had a marvellous picnic! Dog were happy, had a patch a grass to potty in, sniff, and roll around on. We at, dogs ate, finished, put everything back in place, and from start to finish, 45 minutes and we were on the road again.

We plan our activities with the dogs. Of course we do a lot of natural stuff ... we don't do movies, shopping malls, sporting events, amusement parks, theaters, plays, things like that. We do plan walking trails, driving, site seeing, and plan outside activities where the dogs can came along.

Only very, very, very rarely have we ever left the dogs in the camper. Even doing laundry and grocery shopping, the dogs come along. IF the dogs are alone, it's only for a few minutes. I mean... only a few.

We also train our dogs at home, just in case. We park the camper at home and use it full time all Summer. We will deliberately leave the dogs inside the camper for short periods of time while we do things (sometimes in the house or yard), just so they do get accustom to being alone and won't bark like they are being tortured to death.

They have learned we always come come. For short periods (when testing the waters), they don't bark. We do this at home so in the event, while camping, if we ever do have to separate from the dogs a while, they are somewhat accustomed to being a long. But in the last 30 years of camping with dogs (tent, pop-up, trailer), we've not had to leave them behind except maybe, a couple times. We include them in everything. After all, we brought them along. They are part of our family too. They are our kids now!

We also have a cat, but he's pretty independent. Still, he adapted to the camping life style just great. He doesn't mind being left along, but we still include him wherever we feel he's safe and not terrified out of his mind. His comfort safe zone is inside the camper.

We now have 2 dogs. Our daughter gave us her dachshund, which adapted to our camping life style as naturally as anything. She's a great camping dog too.

Enjoy: I drug these up from the last year: