Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Traveling with a pet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling with a pet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I full-time with my 3 yr old cocker spaniel. I include him in on all activities, except to go grocery shopping. He howls/barks/cries if left alone. I almost always talk to the neighbors, explain he is alone and will not be happy until I return. Tell them where I am going and how long I expect to be gone. I have not met an unreasonable person yet. Give them my cell # if needed. If furkid is not allowed at event, then I don't go. My choice to have him.

Boxer Lovers

Fort Smith, AR

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 90# Boxer goes nearly everywhere we go. If not possible, like grocery store or doctor, one of us will stay in the RV with him or take him to a dog park.

On the + side, we're finding many restaurants with outside patios are not only allowing but encouraging customers to bring thier well behaved dog with them. People with dogs appreciate and patronize those establishments. You can get on line and search " dog friendly restaurants".

Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with 3 dogs. It is important to watch the weather and find them shade. There are plenty of outdoor restaurants that are pet friendly. I mostly keep them with me or leave them in a safe place in the truck. I love dogs. Years ago my brother said it best, "I try to avoid places where my dog is not welcome."

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on the dog. Have traveled with two different Goldens, one at a time. Both about as calm and laid back as any dog could possibly be. We would take them for a walk, then back to the RV, and they both would go curl up in a dark corner of the bedroom and sleep until we returned later, as much as 2-3 hours, and still be there when we returned.

Not all dogs do as well. We have been camped beside people who left their dogs barking the entire time they were gone. Bad for the dogs, and bad the neighbors. If unsure, a pet sitter would be the best option, if available.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick Question ~~ Do you take dog to 'sitter' ?? OR invite 'sitter' into your RV???

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I full-time with my 3 yr old cocker spaniel. I include him in on all activities, except to go grocery shopping. He howls/barks/cries if left alone. I almost always talk to the neighbors, explain he is alone and will not be happy until I return. Tell them where I am going and how long I expect to be gone. I have not met an unreasonable person yet. Give them my cell # if needed. If furkid is not allowed at event, then I don't go. My choice to have him.

Is it not more unreasonable for you to expect others to put up with a yapping dog while you're not there?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool weather our dog waits for us in the truck. Hot weather he stays in the trailer.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

azrving wrote:

You leave them in the RV and hope that they don't bark which will cause the park manager to call you.

Not really great advise. Even if the park manager doesn't get involved, the dog, especially a howler like a Basset Hound, may be making quite a bit of noise. Plus it's not fair to the dog.

Ok. So never leave them in the RV? What if they do leave them and they don't happen to bark or they don't bark at the things around them in that particular park. Do you suggest a kennel every time they leave the RV.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally agree with LadyRVer!

Our dogs are part of our family and they go everywhere with us. That means, sometimes, one of us stays behind while the the other goes to the grocery store, but that's just the way it is.

When traveling, we choose restaurants where we can eat outside and the dogs are welcome to sit with us. Just last week-end, we were returning home. We stopped at a Hardees. I pulled into a spot away from everything, pulled out the awning, got 4 smaller lawn chairs out, our quick and easy folding table and set it all up. Dogs stayed with me while the wife went inside and got our order (even some plane burgers for the dogs).

She came out, I was set up and we had a marvellous picnic! Dog were happy, had a patch a grass to potty in, sniff, and roll around on. We at, dogs ate, finished, put everything back in place, and from start to finish, 45 minutes and we were on the road again.

We plan our activities with the dogs. Of course we do a lot of natural stuff ... we don't do movies, shopping malls, sporting events, amusement parks, theaters, plays, things like that. We do plan walking trails, driving, site seeing, and plan outside activities where the dogs can came along.

Only very, very, very rarely have we ever left the dogs in the camper. Even doing laundry and grocery shopping, the dogs come along. IF the dogs are alone, it's only for a few minutes. I mean... only a few.

We also train our dogs at home, just in case. We park the camper at home and use it full time all Summer. We will deliberately leave the dogs inside the camper for short periods of time while we do things (sometimes in the house or yard), just so they do get accustom to being alone and won't bark like they are being tortured to death.

They have learned we always come come. For short periods (when testing the waters), they don't bark. We do this at home so in the event, while camping, if we ever do have to separate from the dogs a while, they are somewhat accustomed to being a long. But in the last 30 years of camping with dogs (tent, pop-up, trailer), we've not had to leave them behind except maybe, a couple times. We include them in everything. After all, we brought them along. They are part of our family too. They are our kids now!

We also have a cat, but he's pretty independent. Still, he adapted to the camping life style just great. He doesn't mind being left along, but we still include him wherever we feel he's safe and not terrified out of his mind. His comfort safe zone is inside the camper.

We now have 2 dogs. Our daughter gave us her dachshund, which adapted to our camping life style as naturally as anything. She's a great camping dog too.

Enjoy: I drug these up from the last year:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

real nice...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling with a pet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS