Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Traveling with a pet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling with a pet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave the dog in the RV at the CG with the heat or A/C on. Our dog is content in the RV alone.
He stays in our stix and brix home alone all day while we work, and has no problem staying in the RV all day while we are out.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/18 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

azrving wrote:

You leave them in the RV and hope that they don't bark which will cause the park manager to call you.

Not really great advise. Even if the park manager doesn't get involved, the dog, especially a howler like a Basset Hound, may be making quite a bit of noise. Plus it's not fair to the dog.

Ok. So never leave them in the RV? What if they do leave them and they don't happen to bark or they don't bark at the things around them in that particular park. Do you suggest a kennel every time they leave the RV.

If the dog barks and annoys others then yes, either kennel the dog or leave it home. If it doesn't bark (and be realistic here) and it is content being alone then fine, let it stay in the rv. The op stated the dog barks to the point she forewarned the neighbors. It should not be left alone or she should kennel it.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where we winter in Florida, our 5th wheel,is our home. We go shopping, go out to eat, go to the movies, do,laundry, etc., our dog waits patiently on our bed for us, just as she does at our S&B home. (Our fellow dog owner campers do the same. ) She doesn't bark or whine or misbehave, she just waits. If it's really hot and we have a power outage, (happened once) our neighbor sent us a text to let us know and we came back. Been doing this for a few years now.

Nancy, Doug and Penny (the Boston)
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
2012 Ford 350 4 door crew cab Diesel SRW King Ranch

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/18 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NIL (next in line)

Great thread!

Wife and I are new forum members and have adopted 2 pups needing a good home. We camp mostly remote national forest, self contained, so the dogs are no problem. Except for bears, cats and wolves...

We’re working through the “training”, getting ready for rv park overnights and I see a couple of good tips here.

Thanks!

Rich
Wyoming
Dodge 2500 Cummins
Coleman TT

Rich
2018 Ram 2500HD Cummins
2018 Coleman Lantern 262

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our little one in the RV. We have a camera set up so we can watch her. Just like we do when we are in our stick and brick home.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
B&W companion slider.
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing works as well as a long walk before you leave. Tired dogs tend to be good dogs. We've left ours for several hours; arrived back at the RV only to find them still sacked-out in our bed.....LOL!

keepmotoring

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip, you will love Maine. It is the most dog friendly state we have ever been to.

LUVRVN

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

Quick Question ~~ Do you take dog to 'sitter' ?? OR invite 'sitter' into your RV???
I'd like to know this too, I'm not real warm & fuzzy about giving a stranger the keys to my MH. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

We leave the dog in the RV at the CG with the heat or A/C on. Our dog is content in the RV alone.
He stays in our stix and brix home alone all day while we work, and has no problem staying in the RV all day while we are out.
X-2, stick & brick, or RV, what's the diff, if someone knocks on the door he might bark.

charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our two greyhounds travel with us and are good campers. They enjoy the walks, love the attention from other campers and are content to sleep with the a/c and television to keep them company while we are out. They get very excited, jumping, not barking, when we return if only a run to the grocery, or 4 hours sight seeing. They immediately are taken for one of the many walks they get to take while we are camping. At home it is open the door and let them go in the fenced in back yard. I do like the campgrounds that have fenced in dog parks. We will take our two when no one else is there and let them run off the extra energy.

My fear is our upcoming fall trip to the south west. We stayed once, before we added a power surge protector, at a campground with unreliable power. I am now in fear of coming back to an over heated camper.

Anyone have reliable aps or product to alert of of temperature changes?

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Traveling with a pet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS