cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Separating reading lights over recliners?

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has two LED reading lights positioned over the recliners. Since only one of us reads much, I am thinking of putting the lights on separate switches. If I can find something, I would also like to replace them with some type of fixture that hangs down a little. Has anyone tried this modification? If so, how much hassle was it?
7 REPLIES 7

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year we replaced the jacknife sofa with a double recliner as in photo below (plywood side table is a mockup). I installed a new wall switch at the side of each recliner to control the two existing puck lights in the ceiling above. The switches are 3-way (off/on/off). I ran the wiring 100% concealed inside the wall cavities and through the ceiling. This wasn't too hard and being in a slide made it easier. The existing lights had one switch on the ceiling which was a PITA to reach up to if sitting down. The switches were a mod def. worth doing...

If switches need to be on exterior walls, it could be more difficult, especially if you have composite type walls with rigid foam in them. Running wiring in the cavity below cabinets is pretty easy.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check into the switchable lights. That does sound easier than fishing wires through the bottom side of the overhead cabinet. Taking the bulb out of one side is not a good idea because once in a while we both want to use the reading lights.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
or just take out the bulb that is not used.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Paranoids suggestion. It would be much easier to just add switchable lights. Thats what we have in our 5th wheel.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Are you certain that there is no on/off switch on those light fixtures themselves?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
If you've got two lights wired to the same remote switch, you would have to run new wires through the wall to put one of them on a new separate remote switch. Personally, I'd consider that to be a PITA.

A lot easier to just replace your current lights with ones that have a built in off-on switch.

One quick example I found was this one:

https://www.campingworld.com/view-led-reading-light

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've done something similar. In general replacing 12V light fixtures with different ones is not that hard. You dismount the existing fixture, detach the wires that power it, attach them to the new fixture, and mount it. The fun comes with the usual sorts of hassles one might expect with this sort of project such as the new fixture having too small of a back plate to cover the holes from the old one, or losing a wire in the wall/cabinet, or something of that ilk.

LED fixtures are polarity sensitive, so it may be necessary to swap the wires around if you don't get it right the first time around.