cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wiring question

DUKEGRAD71
Explorer
Explorer
Just joined this site . Glad I found it . Been looking for a site to join for a while.
Just bought a 1994 Travelmaster Montego Class C Motorhome 28'for my retired years. I am installing a backup camera and I am mounting it on the middle running light. I was just going to cut the wires and hook it up but I hit a snag. When I took the light off the wiring to the socket had wires spliced on it . I need to know which wire is the hotwire as both wires are black. Wires spliced in are white. I cant get the wires pulled out due to they are connected with squeeze connector. Don't want to make hole bigger but it looks like the hole was bent a bit to enlarge it to get the clamps thru the opening . I just don't have enough wire to pull thru right now. I do think I have enough to cut and splice the camera wires in just don't have any way to know for sure which wire is the hot one. Any input appreciated
Thanks
Earl
6 REPLIES 6

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Measuring voltage is easy. Just turn the dial to a voltage range higher than you will be working with - usually the 20 volt DC range for RV work. The meter should handle reverse polarity by showing a minus sign on the voltage so no worries about which lead you touch to positive or ground.

Measuring current is more complicated. Best to have a knowledgeable person watch you do your first measurements. Choose a high current range to begin with - too low and the overcurrent may destroy that range. If you connect the meter as you would a voltmeter, you will certainly blow the current range on a low cost meter because current meters offer very low resistance to the current and very high current will flow through until something burns out. The thing is, in order to measure current the current has to flow through the meter. So you must unhook or cut the wire and use the leads to make the current flow through the load AND meter.

My low cost multimeters came with poorly made probes; the lead always breaks off the probe handle. I solder them back together with some difficulty. I finally realized that it is much easier to solder an alligator clip on instead of a probe - and the clip is usually more convenient in use.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your hardware store will have a multimeter that includes a voltmeter. $25 or so will get you more than enough tool for this purpose.

If budget is tight, you can also get a tool that looks like a screwdriver with a pointed tip, and a wire with an alligator clamp on the end coming from the top of the handle. Clip the wire to a ground on the RV and touch the wires until you find the hot (a bulb in the handle will light up). But multimeters have so many uses that, if you can possibly afford one, get it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Voltmeter.
X2

X3.
They're cheap on eBay and if you don't have one now, you'll sure need one in the future!

Cheers,
Scott

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Voltmeter.
X2
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Use splices like this and you will not have to cut the wires. Attach a pigtail to each wire and use your voltmeter to determine polarity. Then attach your camera wires to the correct pigtails.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Voltmeter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman