cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-30ft Class C on International chassis?

AKHamiltons
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been toying around with getting an RV for a couple years. However, I’ve never really been able to find what we want. Specifically a shorter Class C with a powerful diesel. We live in Alaska and many of the trips we take can have roads that have long steep hills. We’d like to tow a trailer for our side by side, or motorcycles, or snow machines. I’ve rented a couple Class C RV’s with the V10 (one 25’ and one 32’), and they both really seemed to struggle when pulling a trailer. Does a 26’-29’ International chassis Class C exist? Or any other diesel larger than the small Mercedes chassis.
12 REPLIES 12

AKHamiltons
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

I suspect it’s more like others posted. The driver was unaware of how to drive them.

As a mechanic friend of mine puts it, ‘a mechanical issue, a loose nut at the wheel’..

While I'm definitely a stranger to RV's, the skinny pedal and I are close friends. I didn't rally the RV's I rented, but I definitely drove them like the proverbial rental. There were a couple long hills in that 32footer where I had the gas smashed into the floor just to maintain 45mph. That V10 was definitely singing, but I was never really worried. That said, I do remember those engines coming alive on flat out roads at higher rpm's though. I even remember thinking "this thing has more pep than I thought it would". It was really just the mountain passes where I was hoping for a little more oomph (especially with a trailer). I think I'll just go to the dealership and test drive some new V10 models.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DRTDEVL wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
AKHamiltons wrote:
We’d like to tow a trailer for our side by side, or motorcycles, or snow machines. I’ve rented a couple Class C RV’s with the V10 (one 25’ and one 32’), and they both really seemed to struggle when pulling a trailer.

I think you must have rented a couple duds. A Class C of that size should sail up hills with a small trailer like that out back.

Maybe the rental company has the ability to de-tune the engines to prevent customers from burning them up on the big hills?

I’m pretty sure little companies like Ford would have something to say, even to big companies like Cruise America, about fiddling around with engine management software.

I suspect it’s more like others posted. The driver was unaware of how to drive them.

As a mechanic friend of mine puts it, ‘a mechanical issue, a loose nut at the wheel’..

AKHamiltons
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I talked to a neighbor yesterday who bought a 30' Class C Winnie about a month ago and he said his V10 is plenty powerful. He said he has towed a trailer with 3 fourwheelers with no problems. I wonder if the two RV's that I rented were just tired from being rode hard and put up wet, or like DRTDEVL suggested, the rental company somehow de-tuned them (not sure if that's possible)?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The V10 is a relatively high RPM motor for trucks - which is a bit different. You have to rev it up to tap it's horsepower when needed.

Drivers who don't know this, or are uncomfortable with doing this because it seems like the engine "might destroy itself" ... will tend to think that a V10 isn't powerful enough.

Horsepower is horsepower - so a 305 horsepower V10 will do anything a 305 horsepower diesel will ... if you drive the V10 differently so as to unleash it's horsepower.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
AKHamiltons wrote:
We’d like to tow a trailer for our side by side, or motorcycles, or snow machines. I’ve rented a couple Class C RV’s with the V10 (one 25’ and one 32’), and they both really seemed to struggle when pulling a trailer.

I think you must have rented a couple duds. A Class C of that size should sail up hills with a small trailer like that out back.

Maybe the rental company has the ability to de-tune the engines to prevent customers from burning them up on the big hills?
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
AKHamiltons wrote:

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
https://nexusrv.com/product/2018-wraith-32-sc-super-c-diesel-motorhome/

300 Cummins
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a c on a f550 with Diesel engine and genset. I can tow 12k too. It will run up any hill in an interstate at 70 mph. It is 29 foot long but really a 27 foot c with the extra being the hood. Very comfortably to drive. It is a born free Royal Splendor
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Did the Class C Ford chassis that you drove have the 6 speed or 4 speed transmission ? Big difference.

Because you live in Alaska, I think I would just change the final gear ratio instead of going with the Gear Vendors overdrive. 4:10 is standard, 4:56 is optional.

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
The reason for no big diesel is heat and weight. Also if you want a generator it will be propane and you will have trouble keeping enough propane around when you are snow-machining. The V-10 is only a 305hp anything bigger runs to hot. For more speed up a hill you can put aGear Vendors in it. Your torque range on a V-10 is 3500 rpm and over . Good Luck on the hunt.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Nexus has some super C's called "32" on diesel MDT chassis. One Phantom measures 32'5" which isn't much different than many "31" gassers on Ford E450.00
I think GVWR was 19500 with 10000 hitch powered by 300HP MaxxForce
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching for Super C motorhomes. Not necessarily on an International chassis
and maybe a little longer than you are looking for.