Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: PROJECT UPDATE Atwood Levelegs Controller location?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > PROJECT UPDATE Atwood Levelegs Controller location?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
SpurHntr

Northeast PA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/01/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/20/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Should be mounted in the front outside drivers side Storage in front of the LF tire on the Ceiling of the storage compartment. Hopefully you do not need a new controller as LCI/Atwood no longer have them. Doug


Thanks Doug.
Is there indeed.


'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'17 F250 Diesel Platty SRW Crew 6.75' bed
'17 JKU Rubicon Recon, LoD flat towable Destroyer bumper.
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, Ranger EV

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/20/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m replacing my Atwood level legs with HWH jacks. I’ve talked to Atwood and they have service centers with trained techs that can install the new system. Basically uses same wiring and adds some , but everything else is new and different
Manager of one service center told me they could change mine (can’t remember the amount of the high cost he quoted me) I asked if he could install new HWH and if so about how much. He said about a $1000 more than Atwood’s. I ask his opinion are they worth a thousand dollars more. His answer “definitely”. Anyway, I plan on getting replacement leveling system from HWH and it ain’t cheap but I think they are just about “bullet proof”.


Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/21/18 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imgoin4it wrote:

I’m replacing my Atwood level legs with HWH jacks. I’ve talked to Atwood and they have service centers with trained techs that can install the new system. Basically uses same wiring and adds some , but everything else is new and different
Manager of one service center told me they could change mine (can’t remember the amount of the high cost he quoted me) I asked if he could install new HWH and if so about how much. He said about a $1000 more than Atwood’s. I ask his opinion are they worth a thousand dollars more. His answer “definitely”. Anyway, I plan on getting replacement leveling system from HWH and it ain’t cheap but I think they are just about “bullet proof”.


The difference between the "old" Atwood and New Atwood is, the old jacks just had 2 wires going to each jack for the motor. The New Jacks have 4 wires. 2 for the motor and 2 for the sensor on the jack as the OLD jacks did not have the sensor. So, that means you have to install 4 new jacks and the wire Harness and then a new control board and touchpad. The New Jacks bolt direct to the old Jack mounts, so that keeps the labor cost down. Doug

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/01/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/21/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update.

My electrician buddy wants to test and likely try to replace all the NEC relays in the controller first.
Then we will test it.
If efforts fail then will go to the manual switch swapout via GAMA devices.

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/01/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/09/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:
Attempt at relay post melt out and solder sucking failed miserablly.
Inadvertantly snapped off another connection that we cannot repair.
So, plan B.
Manual Level GAMA 4 channel RF remote switch install next.
Will attempt to wire in a temporary air dump switch as well.
Well, my electrician buddy will that is...this is above my pay grade.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/09/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see this question often. That keypad on yoru dash.. That's the controller

Now there is a sensor box it is most likely in your basement but may be under the RV. Take a ball of twine tie it to the right front jack and then run it around the left rear, across to the right rear than to the left front (NOTE you can start at any corner)

Where the strings cross.. X marks the most likely spot.


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


eadeal55

Suffolk VA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 06/09/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The touchpad on my Atwood Levelegs quit working. I had an electronics shop check it, but they were unable to get it working. Since the part was obsolete, I looked around for a used pad, but was never able to get one for a price I was willing to pay (most were $500+ used, with little to no warranty).

By chance, I'm sitting in a friend's 2008 Tiffin Phaeton, and he had the same electric Atwood Leveleg system, and his touchpad was also broken. He called down to Red Bay and talked to a service rep, and sure enough, Tiffin had those obsolete can't find anywhere touchpads in stock. $119 shipped. He ordered one and when it came in and worked, he ordered another and I paid him for it. Finally, after 2+ years my jacks worked...for about 10 months.

Recently, my jacks go down and when all make contact, the driver's front alarms and locks up the system. I had to unplug the jack motor, spin the manual retract nut, re-connect power to the jack, and hit retract all, and hope they all do. Pretty much back to using the orange level blocks till I have the time and $$$ to have someone look at it.

Maybe Tiffin has new jacks in stock??


Andy & Lee, plus the little Chihuahuas...Molly and Lilly
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/10/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I see this question often. That keypad on yoru dash.. That's the controller

Now there is a sensor box it is most likely in your basement but may be under the RV. Take a ball of twine tie it to the right front jack and then run it around the left rear, across to the right rear than to the left front (NOTE you can start at any corner)

Where the strings cross.. X marks the most likely spot.


This post is all wrong. The touchpad is NOT the controller. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/10/18 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eadeal55 wrote:

The touchpad on my Atwood Levelegs quit working. I had an electronics shop check it, but they were unable to get it working. Since the part was obsolete, I looked around for a used pad, but was never able to get one for a price I was willing to pay (most were $500+ used, with little to no warranty).

By chance, I'm sitting in a friend's 2008 Tiffin Phaeton, and he had the same electric Atwood Leveleg system, and his touchpad was also broken. He called down to Red Bay and talked to a service rep, and sure enough, Tiffin had those obsolete can't find anywhere touchpads in stock. $119 shipped. He ordered one and when it came in and worked, he ordered another and I paid him for it. Finally, after 2+ years my jacks worked...for about 10 months.

Recently, my jacks go down and when all make contact, the driver's front alarms and locks up the system. I had to unplug the jack motor, spin the manual retract nut, re-connect power to the jack, and hit retract all, and hope they all do. Pretty much back to using the orange level blocks till I have the time and $$$ to have someone look at it.

Maybe Tiffin has new jacks in stock??


The NEW style Atwood jacks will work for the old system. You just don't connect the 2 wire sensor plug on the new jack when replacing. Doug

djedgar

San Diego, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/11/18 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone replacing their level legs would be interested in donating or selling the "legs" to use to use as spare parts to keep ours working, I'd sure appreciate an email message: [email protected]

My husband has rebuild the legs with parts received in earlier years from Atwood. We've tried to have replacement parts made, but so far we have not been successful. With talk of people changing the systems, we'd love to recover usable parts.


07 Newmar Ventana 3330
02 Honda Sabre
02 Kawa Vulcan Nomad
48 MG TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > PROJECT UPDATE Atwood Levelegs Controller location?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS