cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old Truck

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2001 Dodge Dually 5.9 Diesel with 132000 miles on it with new fuel lifter and injector and new Air Ride seats with a chip which increases the hp to 450 and 50% better flue mpg and torque.

Now the torque converter is gone and maybe some damage to the tranny. To replace both is 5 grand, just the converter would be 1600 bucks. The new converter is the locking kind and it can easily handle the demand. The tranny would be upgraded to do the same if needed.

I tow a Artic fox which is about 13000 lbs wet.

So here is the dilemma. Keep fixing? Or buy something slightly used?
Mechanic that is going to do the work sez that the stock tranny will last 250,000 miles with the converter.

I am looking at diesel trucks with 50,000 miles about 2 to 7 years old around 35 grand.

Your thoughts please???
22 REPLIES 22

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Fix the TC and transmission and turn down the chip. (or off)

If you ever towed 13k with a stock 24V you wouldn’t say that....unless you like going slow and not a lot of power! Lol

I towed a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel with a stock 12 valve one ton dually with five speed manual transmission, 4X2, long wide box. Combined weight (actual) was 21,180 lbs.
We crossed Donner Pass, Homestake Pass, Lookout Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Monida Pass, and others, no problems.
In fact, we regularly passed Fords that were towing smaller trailers!
The only modifications to the truck were A-Pillar gauges (vacuum, boost, EGT) and a Jacobs Rambrake.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If you ever towed 13k with a stock 24V you wouldn’t say that....unless you like going slow and not a lot of power! Lol
I suppose that is it. I am OK with a little slower.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billy1davis wrote:
Also I am 70 now and probably wouldn't keep doing this RV'ing thing as long as it would take to pay for it. Just saying.....

What kind of shape is it in?
Assuming you put 130k on it in 18 years?
If so, then that truck should last you quite a while longer, but they take maint. Brakes, ujoints, front end, AC, whatever. However the 2nd Gen platform is pretty solid.
For $5k installed you can get a fairly well built trans.
If your truck is in cherry shape with a built trans it’s worth high teens. Blown trans it’s worth maybe 10.
New truck 2014 or later Ram (or others after 2011) = sooooo much more stock power and comfort over a 2nd gen it’s not even funny. Don’t drive one unless you’re ready to buy, lol!
Tough call, you got a great truck if it’s not a rust bucket.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the pertinent replies. They are much appreciated.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
billy1davis wrote:
I tend to go with the "PAID FOR" club. $5000 is alot less than $50,000 or even $75,000.
Talked to my mechanic friend who has done all of it's service until we moved. He said the only major thing I would have left to worry about would be the electronics. He said the rear end is overbuilt already.
BTW....thanks everyone for not turning this post thread into a discussion about other things.

Your mechanic friend knows that the auto's have the Dana 70, not the Dana 80 that the manual tranny trucks have? I never had a problem with mine. I swtiched to Amsoil 75W-140 before towing. I towed a lot of miles with a 12.4K 5th wheel and 13+ MPG was only on down wind/hill runs. Around 12 MPG was the norm unless bucking a head wind.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are truly at 450 HP, you do not get that with the addition of just a "chip". It takes injectors, turbo, fuel and timing chip, head studs, upgraded lift pump and most likely 4" exhaust to keep it cool, on and on.

So unless you did a lot that you did not note, you went from 235 HP to somewhere around 300+or-.

A stock tranny will hold one 50-60 upgrade for a while, however not two. I good built tranny will hold quite a bit of power.

Regarding a 50 percent increase in mileage, that just does not happen.

I owned at towed with a bombed 2001.5 for 14 years. I have the hat, t-shirt and merit badge for bombing it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Also I am 70 now and probably wouldn't keep doing this RV'ing thing as long as it would take to pay for it. Just saying.....

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to go with the "PAID FOR" club. $5000 is alot less than $50,000 or even $75,000.
Talked to my mechanic friend who has done all of it's service until we moved. He said the only major thing I would have left to worry about would be the electronics. He said the rear end is overbuilt already.
BTW....thanks everyone for not turning this post thread into a discussion about other things.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of companies that offer upgraded 47RE transmissions. Find one that has the best reputation and continue on.

And BTW, a 2001 is not old I have an 02 and I’m only 40???????. Never mind! 😮
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
fix the truck. I have an 01 F250 with 7.3 that people are always trying to buy. Newer trucks with all that emissions garbage and over computerized engines that cost a fortune to fix aren't worth it. These days they are engineered to force you to go to the stealership to fix anything. Folks still admire the older diesels and that's obvious every time someone asks: "That a 7.3? I used to have one of those." I'll keep rolling as long as i can with my 2001. Don't care if it has some scratches and dents- it's paid off and does everything I need it to do!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to get rid of my manual tranny truck due to medical problems.
I found an automatic, same make, model, and year, but long box instead of short (see sig). It has 407,000 miles on the clock!
The tranny and rear axle have been rebuilt, and have enough miles on the rebuilds to "Prove" the worthiness of the work.
I offered the seller $500 less than his asking price, and he took it. Then I sold him my manual tranny truck for the same price.
Sure, I could have traded my old truck in on a newer truck, paid 20 to 30 thousand for it, and MAYBE had a "better" vehicle, and truck payments for the rest of my life.
No thanks!
I like my high miles old truck, with the PERMANENT registration on it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Do the job right and either have your trans rebuilt and beefed up or buy a built one. The 47RE is not a mystery to competent tranny shops. They'll know just where to strengthen it.

Even at 5k for a decent trans, that is still cheaper than new truck payments.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV