cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cracks in my tires

charlestown
Explorer
Explorer
my Michelin tires all the way around my rv are cracking around the sidewall and at the side of tread where it meets the sidewall as well, I have 7000 miles on the rv and the tires were made in 2013 is there anything that Michelin might do for me like prorate these I know I have to replace them I have a 31 ft and I don't want to take a chance of having a blowout , now the inside rear tires have no issue with cracks and they look brand new as do the outer 4 that have cracks. should I replace the inside ones as well or just leave them alone I welcome your advise thanks....
17 REPLIES 17

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a brand problem. It is an age problem.
Living in Arizona, it is worse than other places, and I have had this problem on EVERY brand I have used over the last 40 + years.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
You can run them and replace fender wells when they blow along with tire. Or you can just put on new tires now. Been there done that, never again. When you leave your tires set the molecules in the tire stop moving in the tires. That is what causes the tires to dry rot from the inside of the tire out.
Dennis Hoppert

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
Keep your tires covered and try to use your rig a little more. Tires benefit from being used believe it or not. Once they start to crack they are no longer safe.

^ This.
Sounds like you sun baked a set of tires. It happens....
Warranty? No.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep your tires covered and try to use your rig a little more. Tires benefit from being used believe it or not. Once they start to crack they are no longer safe.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This is typical with Michelin tires. I`ve seen them crack and split at 3 years old! I can`t and never will recommend them. I like Carlisle tires. I`m on my 3rd set. I replace them at 5 years old no matter what. On second thought I think you have a Class A or C. If so then I would check with Generals, BFG or some other brand with a better reputation than Michelin.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you even want to continue with Michelin? Better to move on IMO.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would checkout This Recall Yours may be listed. I would call and ask they do have a warranty on them.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like every set of Michelinโ€™s I have owned.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I wqould check with Michelin, about a year or so ago, Michelin has a big recall on tires. Many eE450 vehicles had tires that fell under to recall and were replaced for free. I canโ€™t remember the specific details , but it canโ€™t hurt to try.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dry rot. Get new tires and keep the camper rolling more.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Life in the RV world. Replace all the tires. They are unsafe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Not trailer ST class tires, but LT tires on my trucks used to be only Michelin....no more

Loyal for over twenty years...some time in the late 90โ€™s...they changed material formulation, to have 4 or 5 sets cracked

Check out my post below on this matter

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26769920/gotomsg/26770107.cfm#26770107
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Since these are only the outside tires, sun exposure is the likely culprit. In your shoes I would replace all of them, and get some covers to use in the future.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the mileage I doubt 5 year old tires are going to be covered under a warranty or prorated. Based on everything I've read 5 years is about the time you should be looking at putting new tires on the RV even if there are no visible cracks.