cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me know what kind of camper to look for.

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
We currently own a 2004 Flagstaff 176LTD pop-up. We bought it used about 4 or 5 years ago and have loved it, but we would like to move away from the pop-up to a regular type camper. The biggest reason is the need to raise it up and slide out the beds to do anything inside the camper like loading gear into it before a trip, then the same thing when we get home. We would also like the ability to camp in the camper while driving to our destination at a roadside campground, very hard to do with a pop-up. Also we like to camp off grid in the winter using solar panels to keep the batter charged for the furnace, so my thought was a solid camper would hold heat better than the canvas?

I don't want anything large, hoping 2000-3000 lbs, we will be pulling it with a V6 Jeep Liberty, which is rated to tow up to 5000 lbs. Eventually we will move up to a larger SUV but that will be a while, and even then we don't want a really large camper.

A lot of the campers I see in this size and weight range still have slide out beds with canvas which I was hoping to get away from. How do these hold up compared to a pop-up? Are these pretty much a must have for this size range? Will this still hold heat better than a pop-up?

There are only 3 of us, myself, wife, and currently a 2 year old, we aren't able to have any more kids so it will never be more than 3 people in the camper.

I will be shopping the used market BTW.

Thanks for your input!
25 REPLIES 25

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to update this thread, I ended up buying a 17Ft. Trail Lite Bantam Hybrid. I know not a full hard side camper but to me and my wife it will be a huge improvement over the pop-up we currently have. We can get to ALL of the storage compartments without folding down the beds, it has a shower and toilet, much larger refrigerator, hot water heater, 20 more gallons of fresh water storage, and just folding down the beds is WAY easier than cranking up the roof and then sliding out the beds of the pop-up, so we are happy.

I will say that you guys were on the money about pulling a camper this size with the Jeep, it just isn't up to it. I hooked it up empty and took it about 5 miles down the road and up a moderate incline and it struggled. I did go ahead and buy the camper however because 1, it was a very good price, 2 I have access to my Father In Laws F-250 any time we need it, and 3 we have been considering a larger SUV for the past fer years anyway, the Jeep Liberty really does not have much room inside. In fact I'm going to look at a V8 4Runner today.

All the research I did before buying this camper said the dry weight was 2100 Lbs. When I got it home I did finally find a sticker hidden in a cabinet that stated the dry weight was 2500 Lbs. My Father in Law lives right next to a quarry, we took it to their scale, empty it was 3050 Lbs.!

Thanks everyone for your help!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
You might also look at Coachman, as a brand they're also a step above the rest.

I'd stay away from mass produced Forest River & also Jayco. Since Jayco was bought by Thor, they've lost any quality they may have had at some point! And Forest River, I've never heard anything positive about them (they're owned by billionaire Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway fame, etc)

Too funny. Coachmen is a Forest River company. :S

Well I'll be darned. Thanks for the info! I still think as Coachman being a division of Forest River isn't that bad. I still think they're a well built TT.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
JoshuaH wrote:
I'm possibly going to look at one, 17ft, no slide outs, just to fold out beds at each end. Dry weight 2100 lbs. and it has brakes.

Am I correct in assuming that if there are no slide outs, just fold out beds on the ends I would be able to get to all of the storage inside without folding out the beds?
I believe so. But you may find storage is skimpy due to the fold outs. Solid walls could have cabinets mounted, but fold outs cannot.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
You might also look at Coachman, as a brand they're also a step above the rest.

I'd stay away from mass produced Forest River & also Jayco. Since Jayco was bought by Thor, they've lost any quality they may have had at some point! And Forest River, I've never heard anything positive about them (they're owned by billionaire Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway fame, etc)

Too funny. Coachmen is a Forest River company. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You might also look at the three smaller Lance models: 1475, 1575 and 1685. They're lightweight, easy to tow, and great construction. You might also look at Coachman, as a brand they're also a step above the rest. Both Coachman and Lance use Azdel, Coachman to a lesser degree, but the build quality on Coachman will give you many years of happiness.

I do agree with Dutchman Sport about his checklist of things to look at in which order. I'm going to say though, that quality of build is much more important than floor layout. Within any manufacturer, you'll find a layout that is going to work, but every manufacturer isn't the same - Build Wise, so keep that in mind.
2014 F-250

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Talk a look at Little Guy Max!
2014 F-250

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
I'm possibly going to look at one, 17ft, no slide outs, just to fold out beds at each end. Dry weight 2100 lbs. and it has brakes.

Am I correct in assuming that if there are no slide outs, just fold out beds on the ends I would be able to get to all of the storage inside without folding out the beds?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
JoshuaH wrote:
I guess a question I should ask is this. These models that have the slide out beds, can you still get to all of the storage areas inside the camper without sliding out the beds for unloading and loading of your gear or cleaning out when home?

In many of them, you can NOT access all the areas with the slide IN. One reason I am not a fan of slides.

Also, if the refrigerator is in a slide, it will have a powered fan so it can vent through the side. This will be a small power drain, if you camp without electric hookups.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
So this would require a bigger/better tow rig, but it meets all your other requirements, and then some, especially off-grid and winter.
Nash 17K

Nash 17K brochure

Nash 17K walk through.

These aren't common in your area, but are fantastic "off the beaten path" travel trailers.

Here's a Casita that might work with your tow rig, take care not to buy "up-to" your max tow rating. Payload, and tongue weight often are the limiting values for your Liberty's real capabilities.
2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe

These are decent too, a possible fit for your rig, but again, tongue weight might be the issue.
Micro Minnie 1705RD O'Fallon, MO
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
On #5, not all trailers are usable while on the road, or are only with extreme compromise. My trailer is very tight to get to the bathroom or bunks while on the road due to the slide and the kitchen is basically unusable (I've heated water for raman while waiting at the ER, that's about as much as I'd want to do with the slide in). We do sleep in it while traveling but the kids get to shuffle past the slide. It's one of those things to keep an eye on if it's a significant consideration for you, I know I've crossed a few potential future trailers off my want list based on how the slides block access while in.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Your Liberty is going to struggle, at times, pulling a hard sided trailer. Check your frontal area towing restrictions and keep the weight as low as possible. I'd assume that you have an adequate transmission cooler. If not, install one before towing.
The added drag of a hard side trailer is something you may be not prepared for. I'd suggest to rent a trailer similar to the size you anticipate buying (can even be an enclosed cargo trailer) and experiment with a short trip.

What ^^^^^^^ they said. A Jeep Liberty is no match for most hard sided trailers. Maybe a Scamp or such, but you'll be in a very small confined space. If you're able to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle (ie Durango, Yukon), your options would open up tremendously. Even something like a Chevy Traverse would be more substantial than a compact SUV Liberty.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to get away from the pop-up then stay away from the hybrid trailers, like you are describing (tent ends that fold down and become beds). You will still be dealing with wet canvas, and having to extend the ends (or sides) to sleep. You want a real solid wall trailer. So, #1... no hybrids or you are just getting a bigger version of what you already have.

#2, start visiting local dealerships in your area and checking out the different models there. Or, if an RV show comes to your area, go. You need to actually step inside different models and begin to get a feel for what you are getting. You do not have to purchase, just go, look, and have fun. Gather information and then check the units out that peak your interest on the Internet and do some comparative shopping then.

#3. Settle on a floor plan you like, and shop for that floor plan. Then you can compare model to model, brand to brand. And you are going to find the same identical floor plan will be in about every make-model-brand as everyone one else with a similar make-model-brand.

#4. Don't let a salesman persuade you to buy bigger than what you KNOW you can afford and comfortably tow with your vehicle.

#5. All campers you will look at will meet all your criteria... Showers, beds, toilets, kitchen sinks, stoves, usability when traveling, and the ability to install solar. Remember, solar is something you have to add yourself. I don't know of any brand or manufacturer that installs solar as part of the original manufacturing process. But... it doesn't hurt to ask? Your dealer may be able to install a system, but it will be after market.

#6. Enjoy the ride! This is an exciting time for you! It's always frustrating, yet fun when anyone makes the decision to purchase a new RV. Whatever you do, don't become dismayed. Keep the entire process fun! Remember, an RV is not an absolute necessity for your survival on this planet. An RV is just that ... "Recreational". They are suppose to be used for our enjoyment and fun. So, the entire process should be a "fun" experience. If it becomes frustrating, you are taking the joy out of it, over thinking it, and trying to outguess it. Relax, enjoy this part of the process and work through it step-by-step. Keep it fun! Not overwhelming!

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I'm with Soundguy, I'd go with something like an R-Pod. I pulled a small hard sided camper (17') with an Envoy -bigger than a Liberty but still mid-sized - prior to getting a truck and larger camper. It had a decent straight six with good power and torque, but it did feel the trailer back there. Also was easier to push around by passing trucks.

No matter what you get it will seem much smaller than your pop up. Pop ups are pretty bright and open, while smaller trailers sometimes feel confined.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Our current pop-up has an 8 Ft. body. It is pretty small. I wish we had a dealer nearby and I could see these in person.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Soundguy, I'd go with something like an R-Pod. I pulled a small hard sided camper (17') with an Envoy -bigger than a Liberty but still mid-sized - prior to getting a truck and larger camper. It had a decent straight six with good power and torque, but it did feel the trailer back there. Also was easier to push around by passing trucks.

No matter what you get it will seem much smaller than your pop up. Pop ups are pretty bright and open, while smaller trailers sometimes feel confined.