cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To delete or not to delete ?

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with my wife’s car the other day and took it to a repair shop . As I was talking to the tech about it I noticed they had a F450 6.7 Powerstroke fire truck in a bay with the whole exhaust pipe, DEF tank off the truck. He said the fire truck ideled a lot and was not running right so they were deleting it, it only had 30,000 miles on it but being a fire truck it needed to sit and idle a lot. They saw my F350 6.7 and said it would be just a matter of time before I would need a new DPF exhaust system and said for $1700 they would delete it or when it goes for $5000 they would replace it factory new. Never had a problem with it but that got me thinking......anyone have their truck deleted ? They said it would run better, get better mpg, no DEF or regen. I told them I will think about it.
55 REPLIES 55

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I deleted at 30k miles. It cost me around $1,800. It took me 65,000 miles to recoup the $1,800 from the added average 2.5 mpg fuel savings. That was about 10k miles ago so any savings has been money in my pocket from from that point on. Never needed warranty.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
my previous 2011 f250 6.7 had over 120k miles bone stock and never had any issues! my current 2016 bone stock 6.7 ford and zero issues! Both are highway miles with low idle times used mostly for towing. Idling is not a friend of the new diesels.

I live in Ma every year it gets the wand and inspected, it will stay stock!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, a few years ago, the current crop of Ram diesels, 2014s, had significantly less issues and easier to repair emissions systems than the other 2 brands. All current technology at the time.
Not Ram fan propaganda, I just know which trucks spent less time getting worked on and more time idling themselves to a slow death in the worst possible conditions for diesel emissions.

That said, I wouldn’t delete until I had problems that became cumbersome or costly. Then my first call would be to a diesel performance shop.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many jurisdictions are dumping the Ford's and going RAM.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

seminole39
Explorer
Explorer
I just deleted the EGR, DPF, SCR, CCV and throttle valve on my 6.7 CTD 3500 within the first two weeks of ownership.

That motor thanks me for it.
2012 Heartland Greystone 33CK
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
After a all that was put in new, basically all but the DEF, the truck still regens every 80-100 miles while throwing the turbo codes and codes for insufficient flow. I'm over this! Been battling this for 16k miles now.

Write your Congressman a love letter about the EPA and DEF requirements for diesels....Seriously 😉

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

That EGR cooler looks normal and all the paths are clear for exhaust flow, so you could say it's pristine for a EGR cooler.

My truck has 840 idle hours and probably looks similar or maybe even worse. Ford designed the EGR cooler with replaceable cores for a reason.

After a all that was put in new, basically all but the DEF, the truck still regens every 80-100 miles while throwing the turbo codes and codes for insufficient flow. I'm over this! Been battling this for 16k miles now.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

137buck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a heavy equipment operator and mostly run a 2016 Volvo 300 excavator. I've had nothing but issues with the def system and the computer telling me to regen all the time, it's been back to the shop multiple times and has had the whole system replaced and it still has issues. The same for my foreman truck, which is a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 in it, and since the time I started driving that thing, it has been the same way as my excavator, nothing but issues with the def. So after the last issue, my boss had the system deleted and it really "woke" that truck up, better power, better mpg, and haven't had any issues since.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us live in balance with the land. Others choose to live in overcrowded cities even to the point of suffocation.

Pass your laws to protect yourselves from yourselves. But leave the rest of us out of it :C

Wag your tongues, but keep your hands off. (I think I just paraphrased the Bill of Rights)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
I wonder how many people say "I sure hope the fire/EMS truck that is coming is obeying emissions laws."...... when their house is on fire.

No kidding. Emergency services should be able to do whatever they need to. It’s not like they make up a significant portion of the vehicles on the road. It’s almost like expecting the military to meet emissions.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
nremtp143 wrote:
brulaz wrote:

It's rare to hear of a clogged EGR on a newer diesel with DEF and DPF. But on 10 year old systems, it's common.

There were early rumours that the 6.7 Cummins in the new RAM HD (2020?) would eliminate the EGR completely. But lately I've been reading that it will still be there.

That's what they keep saying, but here is my truck at 29K miles with a new turbo, EGR, EGR valve, waste gate and solenoid, but look at the EGR cooler core. This truck is rarely driven except when it has the Montana hooked to it. The core should be pristine. No codes or other problems. Just a hauler.

That EGR cooler looks normal and all the paths are clear for exhaust flow, so you could say it's pristine for a EGR cooler.

My truck has 840 idle hours and probably looks similar or maybe even worse. Ford designed the EGR cooler with replaceable cores for a reason.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how many people say "I sure hope the fire/EMS truck that is coming is obeying emissions laws."...... when their house is on fire.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Deleting the exhaust system on the fire truck...... huh.... ok so let me just add to what the shop is doing wrong... first the only trucks exempt from emissions are the military. I can tell you from fact that our fire service can't delete and emissions unless we get the good old gov to let it happen. Despite all of the ongoing regen issues we can't still have any... repeat any of our fire service trucks deleted... EPA would have a field day. Military can however since those trucks are used throughout the world. As far as the 6.7 having any need for a delete, I don't see the reason. They seem better now then other models in the past. If u do delete keep all your parts cause u will need to put them back on prior selling the truck. And of course the shop wants you to delete it. Not only because they make money on parts and installing but they sell your deleted system on the other market and make money there.....that my experience and my opinion only. I know that in Florida, you can't trade in a truck with a deleted system. The dealer can't resell unless they put the system back in... of course they take full advantage of a deleted truck and charge u the bill or severely drop ur trade in value to reinstall the system.

They do it because they don't want a diesel regen on a fire scene. FD have done it here as well.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
brulaz wrote:

It's rare to hear of a clogged EGR on a newer diesel with DEF and DPF. But on 10 year old systems, it's common.

There were early rumours that the 6.7 Cummins in the new RAM HD (2020?) would eliminate the EGR completely. But lately I've been reading that it will still be there.

That's what they keep saying, but here is my truck at 29K miles with a new turbo, EGR, EGR valve, waste gate and solenoid, but look at the EGR cooler core. This truck is rarely driven except when it has the Montana hooked to it. The core should be pristine. No codes or other problems. Just a hauler.

Thanks, that's interesting.

No codes yet though? Guess it's still working well enough. And maybe it will keep on working well enough? There's hot shot guys with 100's of thousands of miles on the newer Cummins with no EGR issues.

And dunno if I would expect it to be "pristine". My 2016 RAM Cummins tailpipe is relatively pristine, much better than my old EcoBoost, but it's downstream of the DPF.

The old, clogged EGR valves I'm familiar with (from our 2006 Passat TDI, not a Cummins) were solid packed with soot. Much uglier.

If a person spends more time in stop-n-go and not hauling, I imagine there will be EGR (and DPF) problems. Have heard of these folks getting "DPF Full" messages and instructions to go on the highway and run it hot to help regeneration burn off the soot in the DPF. Dunno if that helps clean the EGR plumbing and cooler though ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow