cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screen door latch mod

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
The screen door latch on my RV has always irritated me, Having to slide the plastic panel open to open the door from the inside or likewise to unhook the screen door from the entry door. Here is the change I made.
Drilled a hole in the end of the plastic latch handle and used a piece (18") of #12 solid copper wire thru the hole in the handle.

Drilled a hole in the plastic sliding panel directly below the hole in the handle and routed the wire thru the hole.
On the inside of the door, I left about 3" of wire and screwed on a red wire nut.

Pull the red wire nut down to release the latch.

You could use a wire coat hanger but the copper wire is easier to bend. I also screwed the plastic panel shut.
Cheap and easy. I had the wire and wire nut in my junk box.
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB
12 REPLIES 12

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
rjniles wrote:
Oops, my wife asked me the same question. how do you open the entry door from inside if the panel is screwed closed. Double Oops.

Here is the solution, I got lucky on this one. I removed the screw holding the panel closed and the panel will open enough to let you access the entry door latch. Make sure you leave about 3" of wire to screw the wire nut onto.

Your pics do not work because you use a pic hosting site requiring login.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has the "grommet and stick" setup that a PO installed, and we've found it quite convenient. It appears that the PO may have glued the "stick" in place, since it doesn't move out of position.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tin_Pusher
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the little sliding panel to be sooooo much trouble, I just stay home.

Not ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No good with dogs. You have to cover the bottom screen inside with plexiglass and put a sliding bolt on the screen door inside so the dogs inside can't pop it open. To get in, you have to slide the plastic piece over and reach in to pull the bolt back so the screen door will open.

If you forget and leave the bolt across and close the main door, now you can't get in unless you tug real hard and break the connection to the screen door. It still works after that, but it's better to not forget.

That was with the 5er. This older MH has magnets that hold the screen door to the main door. Way better. Otherwise, same drill. Doesn't matter if you leave the screen door bolted with the magnets.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
rjniles wrote:
Oops, my wife asked me the same question. how do you open the entry door from inside if the panel is screwed closed. Double Oops.

Here is the solution, I got lucky on this one. I removed the screw holding the panel closed and the panel will open enough to let you access the entry door latch. Make sure you leave about 3" of wire to screw the wire nut onto.

seems like a lot of trouble to avoid sliding a piece of plastic.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:

seems like a lot of trouble to avoid sliding a piece of plastic.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WklMFFJtqRc&feature=youtu.be

See the black grommet in the plastic panel, I had one of those and it is a POS. The handle is always getting out of position. And you have to lift the handle which is counter-intuitive.

See my correction to my mod.
Low Country SC
2014 F150 SCAB

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer

Low Country SC
2014 F150 SCAB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
How do you open/close the outside door from inside?

LeRoy

I was greatly impressed with this project, thinking to myself, this is a great idea!

Then I read your post, and now I'm really going, "WOW!!!! You are so correct! How do you open close the outside door?"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The screen door is my last line of security! lol Seriously, good idea.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
How do you open/close the outside door from inside?

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side