Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brake shoe question

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
2013 f150 4x4 CC 60,000 miles

Dealer says I need new front brake shoes and rotors , rear brakes shortly

Only shoes they have are Ford shoes and I would like something with less dust. Front wheels always have a lot of brake dust on them. They claim the FMC pads are low dust.

Anyway, I am planning on going to a local shop to get the brakes done.

Several questions:

1- Local shop quoted Wagner pads but will likely use whatever I want. Problem is I don't know what is best. Any suggestions?

2- Thought I might get them to flush the brake lines and refill at same time. Good idea @ 60,000 miles or not?

3-Rear brakes are still ok they say, although getting close. Any reason to do both at same time other than convenience?

4-Dealer also said I needed front rotors. I looked at them and they do have some minor grooves in them, so I'm sure they at least need to be turned or whatever you call it. Local guy said they would measure them and turn or recommend replaement. Ideas?

BTW brakes have always functioned fine. Never been overheated or abused.

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DOT5 is not compatible with ABS systems.

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/dot-5-brake-fluid.html
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I'm thinking that number was removed from an undisclosed location.

Yeah, like my car wash bucket! (Where did you think I got it from, lol!)

Good to see the Bluelaid guy and ram mafia hand in hand agreeing on something, even if it is arguing against something as matter of fact as, say, gravity.
But you're right, I have no idea of its 80% less dust, and if you dont think it's true then, well, it's probably a false claim I'm making. Low dust ceramic pads make just as much dust as other types, they won't stop your Ford or Dodge coming down a hill and they are like taking an angle grinder to your rotors! They are also only good for like a month then they're wore out. Idk why anyone would buy them.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
As a just in case...DO NOT use DOT5 silicone brake fluid...a good mechanic will question your usage...it is racing brake fluid

DOT4 is the highest DOT brake fluid for street usage

Fake news. Both 5 and 5.1 are used in street applications, and 5.1 is compatible with 3 and 4.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Did you do a particulate count to quantify 80% less or are you just pulling a number out you no where?
I'd guess it's based on how fast dust collects on the wheels. Which is all anyone except the truly pedantic really cares about.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm thinking that number was removed from an undisclosed location.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
I'm having new pads put on today, on all four wheels on my F150 w/ HDPP. Since a trip to the Rockies is in my near future, I wanted extreme duty/heavy duty pads installed. The pads will be semi-metallic. From what I've read so far, semi metallic pads will dissipate heat better than ceramic.

I am also changing out the brake fluid. Replacing with a synthetic fluid. I want the best possible stopping power I can get.

GOOD call!!!

I tried Ceramics years ago on our 99 Tahoe with NEW US Made rotors. Warped in no time. My trusted brake suspension alignment guy said go back to GM stock pads. He turned rotors added GM pads and all has been great for several years. OH the dust is hardly noticeable!!!

I don’t know what old ceramic pads acted like, but old habits die hard.
I have 3 vehicles with ceramic pads right now. 1 is OE, truck
Idk if they’re ceramic-like, ceramic or made of unicorn turds, but they work, they last and they have about 80% less brake dust than the other vehicles.
YMMV

Did you do a particulate count to quantify 80% less or are you just pulling a number out you no where?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
I'm having new pads put on today, on all four wheels on my F150 w/ HDPP. Since a trip to the Rockies is in my near future, I wanted extreme duty/heavy duty pads installed. The pads will be semi-metallic. From what I've read so far, semi metallic pads will dissipate heat better than ceramic.

I am also changing out the brake fluid. Replacing with a synthetic fluid. I want the best possible stopping power I can get.

GOOD call!!!

I tried Ceramics years ago on our 99 Tahoe with NEW US Made rotors. Warped in no time. My trusted brake suspension alignment guy said go back to GM stock pads. He turned rotors added GM pads and all has been great for several years. OH the dust is hardly noticeable!!!

I don’t know what old ceramic pads acted like, but old habits die hard.
I have 3 vehicles with ceramic pads right now. 1 is OE, truck
Idk if they’re ceramic-like, ceramic or made of unicorn turds, but they work, they last and they have about 80% less brake dust than the other vehicles.
YMMV
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
As a just in case...DO NOT use DOT5 silicone brake fluid...a good mechanic will question your usage...it is racing brake fluid

well actually DOT5.1 is a non silcone brake fluid with higher boiling point and less water absorption than DOT4. And it is compatible with DOT4 and is for street use.

It's boiling point, wet or dry is about 40C higher than DOT4 spec and even higher than DOT 5.1

But then one can find specific DOT4 fluids with a boiling point spec near DOT5.1 as well.

However, it is about 3x the cost of DOt4.

But yes, stay away from DOT5
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Dot 4 was definitely used.

BenK wrote:

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Atlee wrote:

GOOD call!!!

GM stock pads are very good.

don't know as far back as 99, but many/most of the GM truck/SUV pads today are ceramic, many sourced from Akebono.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atlee wrote:

GOOD call!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talk to a shop that does brakes. Ceramic pads are not the best for HD Applications. There are HD pads labeled "ceramic like".

If you want low dust have at em.