cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charleston, SC - I526 slow down

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
West bounds lane of I526 around Charleston were closed due to a broken cable on the bridge between I26 and Mt Pleasant. To relieve traffic congestion on alternate routes, they have reversed one lane of the east bound lane which is causing backup in both directions from 6am - 8pm at a minimum. This will remain in effect until June 11.

No pratical alternate so plan an extra 30 - 45 minutes depending on time of day. If you do want a change of scenery to avoid the backups, look at going through Moncks Corner and taking Hwy 17A to Georgetown though it is single lane roads (tad rough but 3 months ago they were repairing the bad sections). Or if going to Mt Pleasant, you could go through Moncks Corner and take Hwy 402 to 41 which was pretty nice last time I drove it a year ago. Be warned though, the alternate route to Moncks corner will add about 15 miles if going to Georgetown and 50 miles if going from Mt Pleasant to Charleston.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
1 REPLY 1

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
We got there the day it was closed last week and stayed in Mt. Pleasant. Not knowing about the bridge we tried to go down town in the evening and I wish we knew all the alternate routes then. We spent over an hour to go half a mile on 17 before giving up. Hope the people that live there can keep their patience. It was trying.