cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deciding on a Light Weight Camper

mkkarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent numerous hours researching potential campers, having yet to find a helpful local dealer... I am looking for a sub-3000 lb camper with a hitch weight under 350 lbs. As if that does not limit it enough, I am looking for something that will sleep 4 people. As if that does not limit it enough, I am looking for one that will accommodate my 6'4" height, both standing and laying in bed...

So far, I think the Sportsmen Classic 180BH meets all of the needs and keeps us at a decent price range. Does anyone know of any other campers that might work? I asked a rep at a large dealership today, and he was very little help.
13 REPLIES 13

mkkarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the tips! It gives me more to look at.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
You just have to go to the right dealer(s).

Here's one that should cover it, need to verify inside height...

Camplite by Livinlite 16DBS

4 people ? Maybe if there are 2 kids under 12 !!

sms60134
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on a similar search. Check out these two:

K-Z Escape Mini (all but one have dry hitch weights that would work)
Sun-Lite 21RB and 21QB have 6"6" inside height and what look to be true queen beds. I'm having some trouble finding any info about the quality of these trailers and i really like some of the standard finishes, plus the low dry hitch weights.

Does anyone have any insight about Sun-Lites?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

How stupid, why would I bother wasting the time to "follow you around"? :R Fact is, your declaration of love for Coachmen trailers and hearty recommendation for others to consider this manufacturer for their "quality of construction" yet your intense dislike for Forest River products are in total contravention one with the other since Coachmen is a Forest River company! Attacking me doesn't change that fact. :S

conยทtraยทvenยทtion
noun: contravention; plural noun: contraventions

an action that violates a law, treaty, or other ruling.
"young persons who commit offenses bear responsibility for their contraventions"
synonyms: breach, violation, infringement, neglect, dereliction
"a contravention of league rules"

:H Boy Frank - your in real trouble here....
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
You just have to go to the right dealer(s).

Here's one that should cover it, need to verify inside height...
Camplite 16DBS in Corbin, KY

Camplite by Livinlite 16DBS

Now, Thor bought LivinLite, and is discontinuing the line this year, but they still are a great little trailer, all aluminum, (except Thor took out the aluminum floor awhile back), and they will still have warranty coverage.

Edit: here's some pictures of one in Charlotte. Grab a seat, because there's a fair price difference, but take a look at the build quality.
Camp Lite 16DBS Charlotte

a walk through:
16DBS video
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
In the years Coachmen has been using Azdel the company AFAIK has never claimed it's used anywhere other than in the side walls of the trailer, not the front or back walls nor certainly not the roof or floor.

100% correct ! Got to read the fine print !!

I can understand why they don't use it in the front especially with a one piece fiberglass "nose", but why is the back wall wood frame and luan ? To me, that just smells like trying to "save a buck".

I would like to see the cost difference between tradition T&G 5/8"-3/4" plywood subfloor and 12mm-1/2" real marine plywood. You would probably need some additional bracing and without T&G, the seams might be an issue.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Coachmen had me won over with their aluminum frame, rigid foam and Azdel sheathing. Until I found out that was only on the sidewalls !

FrankShore wrote:
That's generally where Azdel is located in a RV. It's not really suitable for use in the floor, or the roof.

In the years Coachmen has been using Azdel the company AFAIK has never claimed it's used anywhere other than in the side walls of the trailer, not the front or back walls nor certainly not the roof or floor.

FrankShore wrote:
And SoundGuy, you've made plenty of errors in your postings that I've seen in the past. No real need to follow me around and point out my mistakes, ok?

How stupid, why would I bother wasting the time to "follow you around"? :R Fact is, your declaration of love for Coachmen trailers and hearty recommendation for others to consider this manufacturer for their "quality of construction" yet your intense dislike for Forest River products are in total contravention one with the other since Coachmen is a Forest River company! Attacking me doesn't change that fact. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-29--Travel-Trailers.html. Check out these folks .
Bought my 1st 9 1/2' truck camper from them in '72. They also have small 5th wheel trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the listed dry hitch weight is unrealistic. It does not include LP tanks, battery, or any options... let alone the cargo you put in the cupboards or the water in the tanks. I had a KZ E14RB and (best I can recall) the dry weight was about 280 lbs, but in real world use my hitch weight varied from 350 to almost 400 lbs depending on the water in the front-mounted fresh tank and hot water heater.

You might take a look at these Prolite trailers made in Quebec. Not sure if anything they have will suit you, but if so, they are very light in weight and in hitch weight. They have a handful of pre-owned units listed, too.

Another Canadian trailer worth mentioning is Taylor Coach since they are very light weight and have a good reputation along with a 4 year warranty. Best bet is a used one (maybe on Kijiji.ca), because they have a 2 year wait for new units!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Coachmen had me won over with their aluminum frame, rigid foam and Azdel sheathing. Until I found out that was only on the sidewalls !

That's generally where Azdel is located in a RV. It's not really suitable for use in the floor, or the roof.

And SoundGuy, you've made plenty of errors in your postings that I've seen in the past. No real need to follow me around and point out my mistakes, ok?
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
I'm not certain about Coachman, but someone will chime in and say something.

Remember, to my way of thinking the build quality should be very high on the list.

It's Coachmen, a Forest River company, with "quality" no better or worse than the competition. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Unhelpful lot rep, huh? Heard that before!

You might look at Coachman and Lance. They both put out a quality trailer, fitting the 4 person sleep want. Be aware that mostly, with lightweight style of campers, that to sleep 4, you'll most likely have to set up the dinette every night as the extra 2 person sleep space. Lance fits the bill, as they have full sized queen mattresses and the headroom, plus they're ultra lightweight. I'm not certain about Coachman, but someone will chime in and say something.

Remember, to my way of thinking the build quality should be very high on the list. As far as the "floorplan lovers" almost every manufacturer has a floorplan that you could live with, but not every manufacturer has the build quality. It's important if you want to have a trailer that will last a while.

Good luck in your search!

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!